Dining behavior - as experienced by a waiter

Raineman

Well at the end of the day you are missing the point.... You get rid of tipping food prices go up between 18%-23%.. Every study has reflected that so usually you are paying more... High end places like Per Se and V&A will still have great services... Other places mmmm I'm not sure.... What would you prefer tipping where the staff has incentive to bring great service or pay more with no incentive for them to give great service?
If the servers are aware that great service will yield great tips, then they should also be aware that crappy service will result in little to no tip. If they can't provide me with the service I expect, which is not really any more than they are required to provide, why should they be getting any more than their basic wage? It's the same at a lot of jobs- you gotta put in the effort to get the perks. Tips are a common practice now, so the incentive is always there, but if they don't use that incentive to provide good service, why should they reap the rewards?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Okay let me start this way....hubby and I are good tippers usually in the 20% range. There is only one time we have not tipped and it was because we probably had every bad scenario happen to us in a not busy restaurant....not getting drinks until we had been there for 20 minutes, wrong food order, asking for ketchup and not receiving it until about 15 minutes after we asked for it, our waitress disappearing for a long time and no one could find her, being told the manager was too busy to talk to us, and other stuff. Anyway, I hate tipping and I really wish it was just automatically added or that waitstaff just got a wage in which I didn't have to worry about tipping. I don't want to have a nice meal and maybe a little adult beverage and then have to do math (hate math too). When we went to France we learned that waitstaff gets a decent wage and tipping is unusual there. That was so nice. I feel the same way about tipping as I do about haggling for prices; hate it. Just tell me a price. But as long as it is the thing to do here in the States, I guess that's what I'll do.

susan lees

Okay let me start this way....hubby and I are good tippers usually in the 20% range. There is only one time we have not tipped and it was because we probably had every bad scenario happen to us in a not busy restaurant....not getting drinks until we had been there for 20 minutes, wrong food order, asking for ketchup and not receiving it until about 15 minutes after we asked for it, our waitress disappearing for a long time and no one could find her, being told the manager was too busy to talk to us, and other stuff. Anyway, I hate tipping and I really wish it was just automatically added or that waitstaff just got a wage in which I didn't have to worry about tipping. I don't want to have a nice meal and maybe a little adult beverage and then have to do math (hate math too). When we went to France we learned that waitstaff gets a decent wage and tipping is unusual there. That was so nice. I feel the same way about tipping as I do about haggling for prices; hate it. Just tell me a price. But as long as it is the thing to do here in the States, I guess that's what I'll do.
I really agree with this. We were recently in Paris and always had good service and always left a token of our appreciation (most of Europe much the same) but servers get a reasonable hourly rate. This does feel more relaxing for customers as I always feel a bit worried in America that if I don't give highest tip the server won't be able to pay their rent!!
Some places even suggesting 25% on their cheques yikes!

Minnesota disney fan

Just my 2 cents worth and coming from a different perspective: My husband's mother supported her family of 4 kids by waitressing. They depended on the tips to get by. She did all she was able to do to provide for those kids. I guess I think of this when we leave a decent tip. That was in the 50's and 60's, so a long time ago. I imagine that there are still some ladies who have this problem too??? just a thought....

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
So, here's an example that happened to me just tonight.

There is a Greek restaurant near my apartment that I go to pretty regularly - so much so that the waiters pretty much know what I'm going to order and they don't even bring me a menu. The waiters are great and I always tip at least 20%.

I live right next to Forest Hills Stadium, and tonight, they had a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers concert. I had forgotten about this, and apparently, so had the management of the Greek restaurant. There were only the usual two waiters on staff, and they were completely, completely overwhelmed with the influx of the concert crowd. Every table was filled and the concert goers were all very demanding because they basically all got there at the same time and had to leave at the same time in order to get to the concert on time.

All in all, I got the worst service tonight at this restaurant that I have ever had in my entire life. Should I have stiffed the waiters? It wasn't their fault that management didn't realize a Tom Petty concert was happening and called more staff in. It simply was not humanly possible for two people to properly serve the mob that was in there and satisfy everyone.

I guess this is my way of saying that if you are getting service that is less than perfect, there may be circumstances beyond the waiter's control.

Unless a waiter kicks your child in the teeth, spits on you, and smashes a Boston Cream Pie in your face, please tip your waiter.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So, here's an example that happened to me just tonight.

There is a Greek restaurant near my apartment that I go to pretty regularly - so much so that the waiters pretty much know what I'm going to order and they don't even bring me a menu. The waiters are great and I always tip at least 20%.

I live right next to Forest Hills Stadium, and tonight, they had a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers concert. I had forgotten about this, and apparently, so had the management of the Greek restaurant. There were only the usual two waiters on staff, and they were completely, completely overwhelmed with the influx of the concert crowd. Every table was filled and the concert goers were all very demanding because they basically all got there at the same time and had to leave at the same time in order to get to the concert on time.

All in all, I got the worst service tonight at this restaurant that I have ever had in my entire life. Should I have stiffed the waiters? It wasn't their fault that management didn't realize a Tom Petty concert was happening and called more staff in. It simply was not humanly possible for two people to properly serve the mob that was in there and satisfy everyone.

I guess this is my way of saying that if you are getting service that is less than perfect, there may be circumstances beyond the waiter's control.

Unless a waiter kicks your child in the teeth, spits on you, and smashes a Boston Cream Pie in your face, please tip your waiter.
You should have asked the owner if he needed help -- YOU could have made some free tip money!

KCheatle

I married a former hard-core server ;) We now are well beyond that, but we still typically leave a tip that's greater than 20% just for service meeting our basic expectations. He knows how important those tips are to the servers. If the service is above expectations we have left tips as high as 100% of the bill. We have only refused to tip once, and on that one occasion my DH pulled the server and his manager to the side and explained to them exactly why in hopes that the server would learn how to do it better and the manager would know the areas to mentor. He likely was fired, but at least he knew for the next job what to work on!!

susan lees

The not tipping at all, sorry, but there's times when there's EXTREMELY bad service and those times were very rude servers, so they deserve what they gave.

Also, most servers are VERY UNKNOWLEDGEABLY about the menu. I had asked once a waitress if the chicken was shredded or not in the chimichanga as the menu didn't state if it was grilled or shredded. The waitress said she'd have to ask. I found out later, she had been there for 2 weeks, so in my personal opinion is, BEFORE you serve you should know what the restaurant you work at serves. That's not that difficult of a question, yet she didn't know the answer.

I have had NUMEROUS times where I have known the menu BETTER than the servers SHOWING them on the menu that some item came with something. It's just ridiculous. Instead of them actually verifying the menu with the food for obvious things missing or wrong, they are too lazy to do that. They just bring the food and don't care.

Also, the asking for one thing at a time, while some people might do that, I am wiling to bet if servers would have their PAD AND PEN READY TO WRITE DOWN A LIST, people would give them a list. Also, any good server SUGGESTS condiments such as let's say the customer orders a burger and fries. If I were a server, I'd ask if they'd want any condiments such as mayo, mustard, ranch, etc.

I am finding a lot of servers don't do like him to ask if there's anything else. They walk off BEFORE I have a CHANCE to ask for all the things I want. Also, at times, they ask ONE PERSON at the table and leave. I was at Outback once, my mom was seated at the end of the booth and I was with 2 other people, the waiter only asked if my mom wanted another pina colada and then left. He didn't ask if we wanted any refills or if I wanted another margarita as I did want BOTH. He just walked off. A LOT of servers do this.

A lot of servers when you want to ask for a bunch of things they run off or put away their pad and pen without getting your full order. It's really rude and they act like that some customers are rude, well they are rude when they do that. I have asked for things NICELY and they are WALKING AWAY MID-SENTENCE because they don't want to do ALL OF THAT, which is THEIR JOB.

I don't feel every server every time deserves a tip if they are mean and/or rude or they just aren't even trying at all. My husband and I have tipped even above 30% before as well as stiffed. It all depends on the service as far as how you were treated.

Also, he talked about the wait for food, sure what he says is true, but more times than not, ***YOUR SERVER*** has to do with long waits for food. LOTS of times I see servers cleaning up before going to an EMPTY computer or go VOLUNTARILY to ask other tables what they need when they should be going to the computer and THEN going to do their turn. We all have turns. Let's say there's 5 tables of 2 or 3 people at each one. If you were the 1st table out the 5 and your server didn't get called over to the other tables and they don't have any previously ordered items to deliver, then if your server goes to every table by the time you get your order put into the computer it can be 5 or more minutes later than when you actually ordered and that's just not fair as well as that is very much the server's doing. Also, lots of times we have had servers forget items we have ordered, bring out the wrong items, forget to put in the orders in the first place, and put in the orders wrong. So while yes while he was talking about your food has to have time to get made with all of those people is true, it's also true that the SERVERS DO HAVE LOTS OF CONTROL over HOW LONG YOU ACTUALLY ARE WAITING FOR YOUR FOOD.

Do you see them cleaning a table instead of putting in your order? We have had this happen before and I just can't understand that when the computer was right by them? I did report it though to the manager and no we didn't tip that person for being an UNCARING human being. Would they like it if I chose to ignore their order and make them wait longer on purpose for their food when THEY are hungry? It's just mean, MEAN, MEAN!

I also hate the lies that some servers come up when they aren't honest about who is at fault such as the "they forgot" my condiments, when the kitchen staff didn't step out the kitchen, my server or another server did. So there's no "kitchen staff" that's at fault for missing condiments. When they aren't honest, their tip gets lowered to like 9% or 8% or depending on the issue, maybe nothing at all.

Your server should treat you as if that were THEM in the customer's seat!
It's interesting to hear different opinions and I think its mostly cultural. My son just returned from a year as server in rose and crown in epcot. He loved the part of explaining all the food choices and how they were prepared etc.
He's now back home in uk working in the service industry and people here just don't seem to want that kind of service. He finds here people want to peruse menu and will only ask something if they absolutely have to.

John park hopper

I have yet to eat at a WDW sit down restaurant and not have the server know the menue, the service has all ways been great thus I tip 20%. Though there have been non WDW restaurants I've eaten at and the service was horrible and thus the tip is considerable less to none

Phonedave

Well, there are a FEW more things under the servers controll than what you list, but yes, I agree with you.

There are some things that are not the waiters controll - poorly cooked food for example. There are others that are such as poor service or not chekcing up on the table, and then there are others where you just cant tell - slow food - did the kitchen miss an order to fire or was the food sitting in the pass for 15 minutes while the waiter took a smoke break.

Phonedave

First, I think you are a bit naive to be that trusting without reading your check. My husband and I have had LOTS and LOTS of overcharges over the years. Extra items we didn't order to wrongly rung up items(like the waitress rung up without an entree but I ordered an entree), and LOTS of WRONG PRICES over the years. I just had the wrong price thing happen twice in less in a month at the SAME restaurant. So why aren't you checking it over? Whether it's a mistake or intentional, servers are also making a tip on top of the extra item that is overcharged in most cases at least something as well.

So I think you are foolish for trusting these people. They are human and make mistakes like EVERYONE ELSE. My husband and I had one waitress at Outback bill us for a shot of Grand Mariner(at the time was $3.25 as this was around 10 yrs ago or so) for the booth behind us. Yet though, she found the time to write "thank you" on the check and doodle on it. I never understood the selfish servers that thought that their money was more important. While it was a mistake initially, if she found time to write stuff on the check, she could have caught that and I caught it when I had been drinking at the time even(I probably had 3 margaritas as that's what I used to do back then). My point is though, the world of servers I find today are pretty selfish when it comes to money that they won't check over the bill for accuracy, so that means you as the customer should be checking your bill over. What made me stiff her wasn't the overcharge, it was that she found time to doodle on our check, but NO TIME to make sure that OUR MONEY was correct. That was being selfish. That is why she got stiffed. She also didn't ask the manager to comp something or anything like I would have if I were the server ask the manager to comp a soft drink off the bill for my customer's inconvenience. To me, by doodling(writing her name an drawing with thank you) shows you have time to check the bill for accuracy, but aren't concerned with it ONE SECOND WORTH! Now, if she wouldn't have done that, it would have been different. Also, the service was not good throughout the entire time as she always got our stuff last even though we had asked first out of 3 tables, like instead of just going to get our refills, she voluntarily went without being called over to the 2 other tables she had and our refills would take almost 5 minutes. Totally unfair service to cut like that.

I think it's VERY CREEPY when a server hangs around and pressure us to pay when we aren't ready yet. I feel if you want the person to wait for you, WHY don't **YOU** just get your credit card or cash out AHEAD OF TIME if you are in a rush like that. NOT EVERYONE wants things the way YOU want them.

Happened to us twice. Once a waiter was hanging around us to pay. That's just weird. Another time, a waitress did the same thing and it was aggravating.

Keep your credit card out and when the server comes by, you have it already.

I just think ANYONE is CRAZY to just hand the credit card or cash without reading what they are paying for. VERY NAIVE!!

Do you ever pay by credit card? They run your card, and then you get the bill back and you add tip and sign. THAT is when I check the bill. If it is correct, then I sign and go on my way, if it is not, then I can bring up the issue.

If the waiter just runs off and there is an issue, then I have to flag them down AGAIN, then they correct the bill.

I don't know where you are dining, but I would say, at least 95% of the time if not more, my bills are correct.

As far as having my card out, many times I do, and teh waiter just blows by anyway, and I have to call them back. Or, sometimes I am taken by suprise when the come walking from behind, drop the check, and keep walking.

The way to handle this is, drop the check and say "I'll take that whenever you are ready, no rush". If I say "OK, thanks" then they move on. If I say, "I'll give you my credit card now" then they take it. No need for a server to hang out in uncomfortable silence.

Not to get into it, but it takes a second while walking to your table to sign the check and add a smiley face. It takes a lot longer to actually verify a check is correct. Or maybe she did verify it, but still got it wrong. Mayeb she was working 8 tables and got mixed up with who ordered a shot of Grand Mariner (and who does a shot of Grand Mariner anyway).

Waiters (as do most people in time crunched jobs) try to be efficent. She was heading back to get your refulls. On the way, she stops at two other tables to ask if they need anything. That way if they do, she can get it all in one trip.

The Mom

Premium Member
I must be very fortunate that over the decades I have only gotten what I would consider "poor" service a few times.

I will address the changing tables issue. Sometimes moving a party from one table to another will add too many patron's to one server's area, which would affect his/her ability to give guests good service. So even if there are empty tables in one area, it doesn't mean that people can be seated there without overwhelming the server for that area. It all depends upon how the restaurant is set up.

And am I the only one who has noticed that a server has NOT charged me for an item I ordered?

Phonedave

I must be very fortunate that over the decades I have only gotten what I would consider "poor" service a few times.

I will address the changing tables issue. Sometimes moving a party from one table to another will add too many patron's to one server's area, which would affect his/her ability to give guests good service. So even if there are empty tables in one area, it doesn't mean that people can be seated there without overwhelming the server for that area. It all depends upon how the restaurant is set up.

And am I the only one who has noticed that a server has NOT charged me for an item I ordered?

I think I have only recevied horrible service once as well.. I have had a number of times when the service was not stellar, but only once was it poor.

I have had handfull of times when items were missing (and not because they were comped on purpose) I think it is hard for that to happen with today's POS systems. For the kitchen to get a dupe to fire a dish, it has to be entered into the POS. Unless it is entered as a re-fire (because the waiter dropped it, or something like that) it has to be charged to some table somewhere. Even if it is a comp, it gets charged to a table and then comped. For an item to not be on your bill usually means it is on somone elses bill.

The times when things were missing (and in fact, most mistakes) were old school hand written checks type places. I cant recall the last time I had items missing from a check at a place with a modern POS system.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If there's anything I got that I didn't pay for, I always bring it up... and if it was comped on purpose, I'll usually include half the item cost in the tip. Not that I'm incentivizing servers into comping me stuff, but I want to show appreciation for their consideration.

HoneyBee1991

Yes, but there are also times when restaurants are very slow and over staffed and they still won't change your table. That was the case for me with my bad experience at Epcot. We went during the food and wine festival, not sure if that played a part or not. I found out later the waitress didn't want to give up her tip by giving us to a different server. She gave up her tip instead by providing the worst dining experience of my life so I refused to tip her.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom