1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Dining behavior - as experienced by a waiter

Discussion in 'WDW Restaurants and Dining' started by BuddyThomas, Jul 13, 2017.

1. BuddyThomas

BuddyThomas Well-Known Member

So, I've seen and argued on all the tipping threads here, but this kid really makes some good points about both dining behavior and tipping. Having waited on tables for like 10 years after and during college, I can verify that everything he says is true.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  2. docdebbi

docdebbi Well-Known Member

OMG I love this guy! Everything he says is true but I just like his personality saying it. Serving food seems like a hard job, one if the few I haven't had in my life.

littleroo and BuddyThomas like this.
  3. larryz

larryz Well-Known Member

Seems like he'd be happier in some other line of work.

HoneyBee1991 and Bronson55 like this.
  4. docdebbi

docdebbi Well-Known Member

that would be why he is earning his way through college as a waiter;)

5. Phonedave

Phonedave Well-Known Member

While I don't care for his personality, I do agree with most of his points - except the not giving $0 tip. There was only once in my life that i left a $0 tip, but the waiter deserved it. Actually if I could have taken money out of his wallet, that is what he deserved. I understand some things are not the waiters fault, but in this case, everything was the waiters fault.

I would also like to see the partner rant to this. Customers telling the wait staff what not to do. Off the top of my head.

- Learn how to dertermine when a table needs you - don't with stop by every 5 minutes, or never stop by at all - find the happy medium.

- Learn how to carry a plate, or use a tray. Stop sticking your thumb in my food.

- If your restaruant / bar does something "Special and in it's own way" then learn what that is and warn the customer. If I order something that is generally accepted to be made in a certain way, that is what I expect. If your place does something wildly different, then warn me.

- Stop comming by my table every 30 seconds to top off my wine glass. It's really annoying.

- Don't ask me near the end of the meal if "I am still working on that". I am not carving a table, or building a deck. I am not "working on" my food. (Or if I do have to "work on" it, then the kitchen screwed up). "Are you finished" or "would you like me to box that up fo you" is much much much nicer

When you hand me the bill, pause for 10 seconds. Maybe I want to leave quickly - I'll hand it right back to you with my credit card so you can run it. Don't drop the check on the table, and speed off and disappear for 15 minutes while I sit there waiting for you to come back.

- Yes I know your job is hard. You know what, mine is too. But i don't go on YouTube and rant about my job and the people and things I deal with. And I surely don't get snarky in person with the people I deal with. I'm not the one making your job hard, I'm the one that is spending my money so you can get paid. You don't have to treat me like royality, but just because you had a bad custoemr earlier in your shift, does not mean you get snarky with me. If you cannot controll your emotions, then you need to look for a job where you don't deal with people all day long.

Lucky, Bronson55, Victaman and 3 others like this.
  6. Hockey89

Hockey89 Well-Known Member

Perfect as usual.... PS: I COULD NOT STAND HIS PERSONALITY EITHER

AmandaS. and Phonedave like this.
  7. JIMINYCR

JIMINYCR Well-Known Member

Nice rant. But it wont change diners habits one bit. Those of us that are courteous, pleasant, tipping well diners, will continue to be... those that are idiots wont alter how they dine or pay/tip. And with the free dining plans I'm sure there are a lot more diners who make the CM's job much more difficult. I'm curious.... anyone of you CM's who wait tables see a difference in tips from Free DP diners as opposed to others?

dolewhipped likes this.
  8. TheGuyThatMakesSwords

TheGuyThatMakesSwords Active Member

WARNING - watched about 25% of this. Constant IE comments about something downloading, concerned with adds. I killed the browser, and will NOT click on that link again

9. susan lees

susan lees Active Member

My son just home from a year working at wdw and he says ddp definitely affects tips. He did say though that some people will find any reason possible to not pay a tip. :grumpy: e.g. there was a bone in my fish!!!

10. BuddyThomas

BuddyThomas Well-Known Member Original Poster

Mr. Wahlberg knows how to tip...and then some.....;)

11. Hockey89

Hockey89 Well-Known Member

No question... Not all but many on free d or DDP will find anyway to cut cost... The whole plan sucks for food quality and service... But we don't have to go down that road.... It is a huge money maker for Disney... Most don't break even or they wouldn't off the program.

12. HoneyBee1991

HoneyBee1991 Member

I've worked in high-end food service for a long time (thank goodness not anymore) and I have to say this happens way too often. My manager once gave a waitress $10 at the end of her 5 hour shift to put gas in her car just so she could get home because she only made $2 in tips that day. Seriously? Yeah, it was a slow day but based on just a 10% tip she should have had $70 that day in tips. She was a good waitress too. Some people are terrible.

I do have to say the one and only time in my entire life that I refused to tip was at Epcot! The waitress there single handedly ruined my anniversary dinner with my then boyfriend (currently my fiancee). I got reservations for Restaurant Marrakesh to watch illuminations for about 35 minutes before it was supposed to start. We asked to be seated outside and she put us at a table with pillars in the way even though there were tables with clear views (2 of them) not being used. She wouldn't move us to them when I politely asked. It took her forever to get us drinks and when the appetizers did come we had to flag down another waiter to refill our water. It's middle eastern food, it's spicy, we shouldn't have to beg for more water. On top of that, she was just plain rude. She obviously hated her job and wasn't friendly to any of the other tables she had either. We left right before illuminations even started because we were both just so over the whole experience. We walked the world showcase area and watched what little we could see of the show and then went back the hotel early. Worse waitress ever, she deserved her no tip from us.