Dining at AKL with picky teens

BrianV

Original Poster
Hi-I have reservations at BOMA in August but at $40/person for my teens to eat chicken fingers from the buffet, it seems wasteful. I'd love it but not sure it makes sense.

Anyone had a similar experience? Are there other restaurants at AKL that better accommodate the chicken-finger teen crowd? (While still being delicious for adults!) And likewise does anyone know if my teens can order off the kids menu at the other restaurants? It looks like Saana(sp) may be a better choice. Even ultra expensive Jiko might still be a better deal.

It's just such a bummer that 10 and 13 year olds are considered adults when they have such limited eating repertoires.

Hockey89

Hi-I have reservations at BOMA in August but at $40/person for my teens to eat chicken fingers from the buffet, it seems wasteful. I'd love it but not sure it makes sense.

Anyone had a similar experience? Are there other restaurants at AKL that better accommodate the chicken-finger teen crowd? (While still being delicious for adults!) And likewise does anyone know if my teens can order off the kids menu at the other restaurants? It looks like Saana(sp) may be a better choice. Even ultra expensive Jiko might still be a better deal.

It's just such a bummer that 10 and 13 year olds are considered adults when they have such limited eating repertoires.
I ate everything at the age of 6...All depends how parents handle eating habits....

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
If you are paying cash, then your kids can eat off the children's menu at Jiko or Sanaa. Well, actually, so can picky adults. Boma would NOT be a good place if all they will eat is chicken fingers. If they are willing to at least try other foods, then it might be worth a go.

lostpro9het

I dont know how your kids are with Mac & Cheese but the offing at JIKO is AMAZING!!! Plus it is a meal in itself!
20160405_184936.jpg

BrianV

Original Poster
If you are paying cash, then your kids can eat off the children's menu at Jiko or Sanaa. Well, actually, so can picky adults. Boma would NOT be a good place if all they will eat is chicken fingers. If they are willing to at least try other foods, then it might be worth a go.

They might try something. But it is really hit or miss. For me it would be a $100 gamble. (I on the other hand will go some day with out the kids…I've always wanted to eat there.)

Good to know about the kids menu. They say you have to be 9 and under and we've had them be sticklers about that in Mexico in Epcot. Turned out my little one, then 9, ordered off the kids menu and my big one off the regular menu and they swapped. Didn't know if that was a hard policy or flexible.

BrianV

Original Poster
I dont know how your kids are with Mac & Cheese but the offing at JIKO is AMAZING!!! Plus it is a meal in itself!
20160405_184936.jpg

Yum, I'm hungry now. Yes, they would eat that!

Between Jiko and Saana is there a preference? We will pay out of pocket.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
They might try something. But it is really hit or miss. For me it would be a $100 gamble. (I on the other hand will go some day with out the kids…I've always wanted to eat there.)

Good to know about the kids menu. They say you have to be 9 and under and we've had them be sticklers about that in Mexico in Epcot. Turned out my little one, then 9, ordered off the kids menu and my big one off the regular menu and they swapped. Didn't know if that was a hard policy or flexible.
They really can't tell you no, as many adults have gastro issues that prevent them from eating the amount of food you get on the adult menu. Just tell the servers something along those lines. While we have personally not done it, we have heard of many that do it all the time, and are never questioned. Just push the server, and if they won't relent, then ask for a manager.

No preference. We've eaten at both, and love both of them. Sanaa is a bit more adventuresome, but the food at both is outstanding. 2 of the best restaurants on property!!

BrianV

Original Poster
To all questioning my parenting style, yes, they eat more than chicken fingers…much more. I was using that as a generalization for being picky eaters. At home I'm more than willing to do many things and they can try something with little additional expense (last night they both enjoyed shrimp risotto). On vacation, I simply see no reason to spend $100 on them on a meal they wont enjoy. They might find stuff they like, but most of what they would like would be the kids selections at adult prices.

Thanks to everyone else's advice, we changed to Jiko!! We probably will spend as much if not more, but they can order what they want and we can order what we want. :) The menu looks amazing such that I really just want to order one of each appetizer! And a flight of wine!

jaklgreen

I think they would do better at Boma with it being a buffet then Jiko, IMO. At the buffet they can try a wider variety of foods and fall back on their "safe" food. If my kids were picky, I would much rather know that they will have options then be stuck with 1 meal at a regular restaurant that they might not like. Boma still has the kid section for food. My kids always loved going to the different buffets at WDW. They got a chance to try a bunch of new things that they would probably not pick off of a menu.

BrianV

Original Poster
I think they would do better at Boma with it being a buffet then Jiko, IMO. At the buffet they can try a wider variety of foods and fall back on their "safe" food. If my kids were picky, I would much rather know that they will have options then be stuck with 1 meal at a regular restaurant that they might not like. Boma still has the kid section for food. My kids always loved going to the different buffets at WDW. They got a chance to try a bunch of new things that they would probably not pick off of a menu.

And that's why I was torn. And could be convinced to change again. But if they end up only eating the kids food it isn't worth paying adult prices. That's why I wish adults were 13 or 14...or older...

bethymouse

Jiko is expensive, and wouldn't be recommended IMHO. Sanaa has limited choices. Boma has salads, soups, hummus, lots of curry dishes, and some kid's choices. Other than Mara ( the quick service restaurant) AKL restaurants are African/Indian flavored dishes and wouldn't be very good for any "picky" eater ( My 11 year old son included).:(

BrianV

Original Poster
Jiko is expensive, and wouldn't be recommended IMHO. Sanaa has limited choices. Boma has salads, soups, hummus, lots of curry dishes, and some kid's choices. Other than Mara ( the quick service restaurant) AKL restaurants are African/Indian flavored dishes and wouldn't be very good for any "picky" eater ( My 11 year old son included).:(

As long as they are allowed to order off the kids menus at the restaurants, they'll be good. I'm certain there are foods at Boma that they will like and eat. I just hate paying $40 for those foods when I can order them off a menu for a small fraction of the price.

But maybe that is a better option....

Dang, maybe we should just go to downtown Disney instead. :(

jaklgreen

As long as they are allowed to order off the kids menus at the restaurants, they'll be good. I'm certain there are foods at Boma that they will like and eat. I just hate paying $40 for those foods when I can order them off a menu for a small fraction of the price.

But maybe that is a better option....

Dang, maybe we should just go to downtown Disney instead. :(

It's a vacation, so hubby and I adopted the mind set that, yes it will be expensive, so don't look. LOL We know that the buffets are pricey and only do a couple of them. We have already committed that money to our vacation so we do not let it bother us to spend it. It all comes out of the vacation fund. If you want to go, then go. Just don't feed the kids much that day, get all hungry to try new stuff. LOL :p

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom