Did I just plan too long of a trip?

Brian R

I am very excited because this Summer, we have an epic trip planned to WDW. I say epic because first off this will be my family's first time at Disney World and our first time in Florida. It will be a long vacation that will be expensive but we have saved up for a few years, not to mention my personal belief that my family has truly been blessed with the financial resources. The kids have been talking about this trip for months; I really can't wait for July. The trip will be 3 weeks and even better a very good friend will be coming with us and bringing his 8 and 10 year old boy and girl along. This will primarily be a Disney Trip but there are some other attractions in Orlando that we want to see I think Universal Studios tops that list. I am concerned though because after all the money I paid for this trip and not to mention how much we will spend just eating. I am concerned that 3 weeks could be too long and the magic will wear off for the kids. It's hard to say because this is the main thing they have been talking about especially as the Summer gets closer.

I really just want to see everything I can and take my time doing it. That's why the trip will be so long, I think the first day will be kind of wasted anyway because we'll be getting up so early to leave home that by the time we get to WDW and check in we will all want to sleep. Is this trip going to be too long?

CAPTAIN HOOK

The trip will be 3 weeks
Welcome aboard

We've been to WDW 6 times (our 7th trip is this August) and of these, our shortest stay has been for 10 nights. All the others have been 14 night trips. Your 3 week trip is a long one but you have two main advantages - you have plenty of time to see and do what you want to do AND you can afford to have rest days built into your schedule so that you don't burn yourselves out.

Are you staying at a Disney Resort or outside WDW ?

Plan to do a couple of park days (either WDW, Universal or even SeaWorld) and then have a day at either the pool or one of Disney's Waterparks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
A most magical welcome!!!!!!!!!!! I think that is the amount of time you need if you want to see anything other than Disney! Even with that much time you still may miss a few things. Our next trip will be about the same length because that's the only way we're ever going to have enough time to do anything other than Disney. July will be hot and humid so stay well hydrated and don't forget to put the sunscreen on every 2 hours. Also make sure everybody has at least 2 pairs of comfy walking shoes!

Upvote 0

RobUK

Welcome aboard

We've been to WDW 6 times (our 7th trip is this August) and of these, our shortest stay has been for 10 nights. All the others have been 14 night trips. Your 3 week trip is a long one but you have two main advantages - you have plenty of time to see and do what you want to do AND you can afford to have rest days built into your schedule so that you don't burn yourselves out.

Plan to do a couple of park days (either WDW, Universal or even SeaWorld) and then have a day at either the pool or one of Disney's Waterparks.

Totally agree. Never underestimate a rest day.

Upvote 0

Alexis

WELCOME! :)
NEVER such thing as too long! :) It will fly by so fast! You will have a fantastic time!
There's always lots to see and lots to do! You won't be or feel rushed in anyway!

You could always break it down if you feel it might be too long.
Disney has 4 parks. Maybe you will want to revisit the same park on another day of your trip? Also, two waterparks if you're interested in that.
Universal has two parks. There's also CityWalk, that offers restaurants, shops, and there's a Blue Man Group show, which is fantastic (check into that)

You can always spend time checking out resorts, shops, shows, Orlando malls, Downtown Disney of course, relaxing by the pool, and so much more!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pixiesteno

That sounds fantastic. I think you will find the kids will enjoy pool and play time mixed in with the theme parks. There are also boating adventures to be had at WDW, mini golf, archery lessons at FWC, bike rentals at several different resorts on property, etc. Have a blast & relax.

Upvote 0

Mawg

Well, it would not be too long for me and my family but....3 weeks is a long time for a first timer. My first trip with kids was for 4 days and it was not enough but others do go and hate it (not many, but it happens). I would never recommend a 3 week long vacation anywhere unless you are already sure you are going to love it. As an example, I would recommend a 3 or 4 day cruise before a 2 week one.

If you already have strong feeling that it will be great fun and are really only concerned about filling the 3 weeks with things to do, Then you'll probably leave wishing you had another week.

Upvote 0

TXDisney

The luxury you'll have is to take your time all day everyday. No need to rush on that long of a trip. You'll be able to ride every ride multiple times throughout 3 weeks. I do recommend going to universal for 2-3 days though. Soak in the magic, bc sometimes people are so busy hurrying they miss out on the beauty of Disney.

Upvote 0

Brian R

Original Poster
Welcome aboard

Thanks everybody, I feel better about the trip now. I am staying at a resort. If I could I'd bring even more people but having my friend and his children and my boys I'm expecting this trip to be great.

Upvote 0

grim-grinning_toast

Three weeks!!! Oh my gosh, I am bubbling with jealousy. The longest I've ever stayed at Disney was ten days, and the best part about it were the two days we spent hanging out on the Polynesian beach. It was so relaxing, and Disney World is literally a W O R L D. There's so much to do and see outside of the parks! You will have an absolutely great time, just take it slow. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy so much!

Upvote 0

Disnee4Me

We've done two weeks at a time (back in the day when the kids were younger). We'd usually get 5 day park passes, 3 day water parks. On the off days, we'd sleep in, go to DTD, yes a day a Universal, one night we went to Medieval Times (the boys loved that, as did my niece). The kids enjoyed downtime at the pool too, plus it gave me time to get caught up on laundry, read a book, relax, etc. The good thing about 3 weeks in you can really pace yourself and really enjoy all there is to see ... I'm jealous...LOL

Upvote 0

bearandbuzz

I'm from the UK, so for me it is slightly different as you tend to find the average length of vacation to Orlando is 2 weeks anyway.
In 2013 we did 3 weeks, part onsite and part offsite. It was amazing, we saw everything we wanted at disney, universal / ioa, Kennedy space centre, Legoland, bush gardens and fitted in a rest day or two as well as shopping.
The only (slight) negative is that we felt we had got a little too used to being on vacation and it was hard to get back into the swing of things with work and school etc when we got back home this was easily fixed by planning another trip though!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom