Did anyone keep up with Disneylands new shows?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I was not at all impressed with Paint the Night but what really struck me believe it or now was World of Color. Right away I had some strange feeling that everyone would absolutely hate it but I loved the show from start to finish and I haven't said that about a disney show change since Illuminations. I will way the show looked a little unorganized and I would have chose Jiminy Cricket as the narrator but I liked allot. Forever was ok, not bad, not great but ok. I think it was a good stepping stone for bigger and better things in the future, besides the projections and the amazing lighting effects the music and the fireworks weren't what I thought it would be.

Last edited:

TP2000

Thanks for the opinions and thoughts!

What's interesting is that your thoughts are pretty much opposite what the West Coasters are saying this weekend about Disneyland's three new shows. The consensus seems to be Paint The Night is a home run hit, Disneyland Forever is a big WOW! kind of show that pleases everyone, and the new World of Color has its moments and is full of impressive technology but is kind of Meh o_O for most folks storywise (a bit too much Neil Patrick Harris and Frozen, it seems). The new World of Color seems to be the weakest link in Disneyland's new night spectaculars debuting this weekend.

For those wondering what we're talking about, opening this weekend in Anaheim...

Here's Paint The Night Electrical Parade, which could obviously go to WDW someday...

Here's Disneyland Forever fireworks spectacular, the Walt storyline would never work in WDW but the new technology could...

And here's World of Color Celebrate The Wonderful World of Walt Disney, since World of Color doesn't exist in WDW this one will stay an Anaheim exclusive, especially with its Walt plotline that doesn't work in WDW...

Last edited:

FigmentForver96

I loved Disneyland: Forever! I know a lot of people have complained about it not being as good as Remeber, but it wasn't meant to be. It's own show.I think my biggest complaint was some of the projections of Main Street seemed a little lazy. Paint the Night was amazing when it debuted in Hong Kong so the Disneyland version was even better with the extra characters. WOC was what I was looking forward to the most but was a bit of a letdown. One moment it's the World of Color theme song then we hear "Celebrate the Magic" and then it's "Forever young", it's just weird. The frozen segment was also just a waste.

TP2000

Quick consensus with west coast friends and CMs :

World of Color - hmmmm

Paint the Night - great tech, questionable soundtrack

Forever - second best after Remember.

That's about how I feel. Although I like the Paint The Night soundtrack; it's fresh and fun and ridiculously catchy. Although in ten years time it may sound dated and hopelessly 2015. Kind of like if the Electrical Parade in the 1970's had used Disco Duck instead of Baroque Hoedown.

aladdin2007

World of Color - hmmmm

Pretty much feel the same way after seeing the videos. Paint the Night wows the eyes, but its just overdone messy pop music with no cohesive soundtrack. Forever seemed really nice great effects and lighting. World of Color I havent bothered watching, between the host and frozen no thanks......These shows though make Disney Worlds entertainment pretty old and stale especially the limping MSEP. Maybe it will make them wake up, but I doubt it.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That's about how I feel. Although I like the Paint The Night soundtrack; it's fresh and fun and ridiculously catchy. Although in ten years time it may sound dated and hopelessly 2015. Kind of like if the Electrical Parade in the 1970's had used Disco Duck instead of Baroque Hoedown.

Animaniac93-98

I've liked "When Can I See You Again" ever since I first heard it during the Wreck-It-Ralph end credits, so I naturally like PtN's soundtrack to.

If it becomes dated or someone wants to change it, that shouldn't be too hard to do. At least not as hard as changing floats and costumes.

TP2000

These shows though make Disney Worlds entertainment pretty old and stale especially the limping MSEP. Maybe it will make them wake up, but I doubt it.

It took WDW management 15 years just to approve a new afternoon parade at Magic Kingdom Park. I'm afraid they are going to open Rivers of Light and consider that they're one and only needed addition for this decade, then TDO will go back to their naptime for another five years.

gsimpson

I thought Disneyland Forever was great - possibly one of the best nighttime fireworks show at any park. I thought Paint the Night was pretty amazing but I have the concern it will get tiresome rather quickly. I absolutely adored the original "World of Color" show, seen it 12 or so times, and was really looking forward to a new show, have enjoyed the tags that they have been doing for movies and holidays and so on, but "Celebrate" is a huge letdown. Yes, some of the new effects are spectacular but other than those seconds the show was a snooze. The show was about as interesting as looking through someone's vacation snapshots, slides, or 8mm films for several year's worth of vacations. If they must have a celebrity "host", I wish they at least pick a host that has strong connection to a Disney movie or show - like Julie Andrews over at the end of Forever. They must owe Neil Patrick Harris some huge favors since he seems to have become their b-list celebrity of choice for TV specials, Christmas at Epcot, and now Celebrate. The two best shows, in my probably deranged opinion, that they have put on at night are "BravoSEAmo" at Disneyseas (which sadly has been replaced by a bizarre version of Fantazmic) and "Illuminations: Reflections of Earth" at Epcot, both shows have their own cohesive story, their own music and the whole show just ties together from end to end like a very well done short film told in music, light, and fireworks.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I can say as for paint the night they really kept the snow moving and it didn't drag, in the other hand when I went back to the Disney World cam I felt like I was watching Spectromagic when the Electrical Parade went thru it seemed so slow. I was disapointed in the ammount of units they had in Paint the Night. Not only did it lack the classics the beginning and ending sections were verry weak. The music was a bit much and think they should have saved the vocals for only once in to be begining and for the finalie. For crying out loud they were to cheap to make a new Casey Jr unit to tow the drum, in my opinion I don't know why they even bothered.

George Lucas on a Bench

I've always thought World of Color is overrated pap that just uses technology we've already seen in Fantasmic on steroids (somehow not as effective) and presents a lazy clip show that just goes on and on and on and on and on. It just ain't good. But that's my opinion. According to everyone everywhere, it's a beloved show, so I'm obviously in the minority, right?

I really want to see Paint the Night this evening, but I fear it will just be impossible.

GiveMeTheMusic

I can say as for paint the night they really kept the snow moving and it didn't drag, in the other hand when I went back to the Disney World cam I felt like I was watching Spectromagic when the Electrical Parade went thru it seemed so slow. I was disapointed in the ammount of units they had in Paint the Night. Not only did it lack the classics the beginning and ending sections were verry weak. The music was a bit much and think they should have saved the vocals for only once in to be begining and for the finalie. For crying out loud they were to cheap to make a new Casey Jr unit to tow the drum, in my opinion I don't know why they even bothered.

Not to be rude, but you're basing your scathing review on a web cam feed.

Californian Elitist

So you weren't even there to see it in person? What?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster

World of Color - hmmmm

There's a small place in my heart for paint the night and here's why... Although I hate the music it reminded me of the first encarnation of the electrical parade when they were still discovering the technology. At first I thought It was built on ancrappy budget but now I'm starting to think they started small to see how it makes it thru years of use and wear and tear. It really makes me look forward to what might be built off the success of Paint the Night.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
So you weren't even there to see it in person? What?
I was wearing my beats, hooked my macbook to the screen, got a snack and sat in the comfiest chair I own. It was like sitting at the train station overhang without being tired from walking all day. I was live streaming like BOSS!!!!!!

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Im sorry, I couldn't help myself but... PAINT THE NIGHT IS ALREADY HAVING ISSUES AND THINGS ARE BREAKING:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:, I saw a few videos and in each one the off board audio was playing the wrong music half of the time, the lights on the Mickey unit went out on one video and in another one of the jelly fish for the Ariel section went dark. It's barely 2 days old and I've seen more issues in 3 videos then all the times I have seen the Main Street Electrical Parade. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

GiveMeTheMusic

Im sorry, I couldn't help myself but... PAINT THE NIGHT IS ALREADY HAVING ISSUES AND THINGS ARE BREAKING:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:, I saw a few videos and in each one the off board audio was playing the wrong music half of the time, the lights on the Mickey unit went out on one video and in another one of the jelly fish for the Ariel section went dark. It's barely 2 days old and I've seen more issues in 3 videos then all the times I have seen the Main Street Electrical Parade. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

You must not see MSEP very often. It goes out without floats on a regular basis because they're old as dirt and falling apart. Maintaining forty year old chicken wire is time consuming.

It's not uncommon for new parades to have issues right off the bat. They'll be rectified, while MSEP will continue to rot at WDW where management sees no problem in serving the highest paying Disney park guests in the world a 43 year old technological relic.

WDW takes such good care of it they can't even be bothered to change the lights on the drum back to "Main Street" from "Disney's". You're right - why would anyone want PTN when they could watch a parade whose newest character debuted in 1977?

You're gonna have a hell of a time convincing people MSEP > PTN considering you haven't even seen it live. There's also threads dedicated to each of these new shows - if you have comments or concerns, you should post in that show's thread instead of starting your own just to bash a show you haven't actually seen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom