Diaper Bag

dislilbunny

Original Poster
So we have a diaper bag that sets off the metal detectors whenever we go into the parks. It's definitely the bag itself - it has one of those pull-out changing stations and I believe the rods in it are what trigger the detectors every time.
I've been looking at getting a different kind and have found one I like but it has a USB port on the side of it. Will this also trigger the metal detectors? I don't want to buy a new one and end up having the same problem

Figgy1

Premium Member
So we have a diaper bag that sets off the metal detectors whenever we go into the parks. It's definitely the bag itself - it has one of those pull-out changing stations and I believe the rods in it are what trigger the detectors every time.
I've been looking at getting a different kind and have found one I like but it has a USB port on the side of it. Will this also trigger the metal detectors? I don't want to buy a new one and end up having the same problem
Do you have a picture, brand and model # or name of the bag? That may help
@mkt, @Laura

dislilbunny

Original Poster
Do you have a picture, brand and model # or name of the bag? That may help
@mkt, @Laura

It was just one I found on Amazon (not sure if the link works). I've seen others too that I like but all have the USB port so I mostly just wanted to know if that would be problem or not 😊

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230622-094248.png
    Screenshot_20230622-094248.png
    206 KB · Views: 54

jaklgreen

Anytime that you have something unusual, like the built in charger, it is going to set it off no matter what brand you use. That is why they have you hold umbrellas and chargers out in front of you to show them what it is. Can you pull out what is setting the detector off ahead of time? If not, you will probably be stuck having to be searched every time. It might be worth it to just use a cheap diaper bag for your trips and have your charger separate. Plus I wouldn't want to take anything nice and expensive to the parks anyway. People do steal.

dislilbunny

Original Poster
Anytime that you have something unusual, like the built in charger, it is going to set it off no matter what brand you use. That is why they have you hold umbrellas and chargers out in front of you to show them what it is. Can you pull out what is setting the detector off ahead of time? If not, you will probably be stuck having to be searched every time. It might be worth it to just use a cheap diaper bag for your trips and have your charger separate. Plus I wouldn't want to take anything nice and expensive to the parks anyway. People do steal.
Our current diaper bag is a cheap one (although no one could steal it anyway as we always have it on our backs) but we can't take the built in USB port (it's not a charger) out. If that is something that will set off the detectors though then I will not buy the new bag that also has the port, again not expensive, just a lot of backpacks have this feature these days.

jaklgreen

Our current diaper bag is a cheap one (although no one could steal it anyway as we always have it on our backs) but we can't take the built in USB port (it's not a charger) out. If that is something that will set off the detectors though then I will not buy the new bag that also has the port, again not expensive, just a lot of backpacks have this feature these days.
It does sound as if that is the problem since they say to take those things out of your bag and hold them in front of you as you go through the scanners. So either bring one without that feature or prepare to have your bag checked.

dislilbunny

Original Poster
It does sound as if that is the problem since they say to take those things out of your bag and hold them in front of you as you go through the scanners. So either bring one without that feature or prepare to have your bag checked.
We've never been told to take it out, usually just umbrellas, water bottles etc. And like I said - it's not something that can be taken out, it's attached to the side of bag. I really just want clarification, maybe from someone who has a backpack with a built-in usb port, as to whether they set off the metal detectors or not. If it doesn't then we know it's just the changing table rods in ours that currently does.

jaklgreen

We've never been told to take it out, usually just umbrellas, water bottles etc. And like I said - it's not something that can be taken out, it's attached to the side of bag. I really just want clarification, maybe from someone who has a backpack with a built-in usb port, as to whether they set off the metal detectors or not. If it doesn't then we know it's just the changing table rods in ours that currently does.
I have heard them say many times to remove any phone chargers. I have the fuel rod and always take mine out and hold it in front of me. I am not sure what you mean by changing table rods since I have never seen that. We would just take that plastic mats to use on the changing tables in the bathroom. You can always ask them when you get there what is setting it off. But it stands to reason that any unusual metal object will set off the detector. Heck, it could be both the rods and the charger if you are keeping them in the bag. It is best just to remove any metal objects and hold them in front of you as you go through the detector.

dislilbunny

Original Poster
I have heard them say many times to remove any phone chargers. I have the fuel rod and always take mine out and hold it in front of me. I am not sure what you mean by changing table rods since I have never seen that. We would just take that plastic mats to use on the changing tables in the bathroom. You can always ask them when you get there what is setting it off. But it stands to reason that any unusual metal object will set off the detector. Heck, it could be both the rods and the charger if you are keeping them in the bag. It is best just to remove any metal objects and hold them in front of you as you go through the detector.
I get that but it's not a charger, it's a USB port on the side of the backpack that you can plug a charger in. My backpack has it and the new ones I'm looking at also have it. It cannot be taken out and held in front of us, like I said a few times previously.
Our current bag has a built in changing station with rods that hold it out. We don't use it anymore because baby is too big. We've spoken to security about that and know that's an issue but didn't think about the USB thing until I went looking for a new bag online and saw this feature on most. We're not heading back to the parks now until end of July and was hoping to sort this beforehand. Just hoping someone who does understand the issue is able to help us out before then. I'll keep asking around.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
We have a back pack with 2 USB plugs and it has never caused us to be searched as long as we take the chargers out. They are not metal detectors. They are smart scanners that look for certain objects such as guns and knives. That is why you can have your keys or a metal flashlight in your pocket and not get stopped. You have to show them the charging packs because the batteries are so dense that they can't get a good scan on them and you could be hiding something. My wife's metal glasses case has to be held out also. Not sure why the diaper bag is setting it off, but you are probably right. The rods look like a weapon on the scanner screen. Hope this helps!

dislilbunny

Original Poster
We have a back pack with 2 USB plugs and it has never caused us to be searched as long as we take the chargers out. They are not metal detectors. They are smart scanners that look for certain objects such as guns and knives. That is why you can have your keys or a metal flashlight in your pocket and not get stopped. You have to show them the charging packs because the batteries are so dense that they can't get a good scan on them and you could be hiding something. My wife's metal glasses case has to be held out also. Not sure why the diaper bag is setting it off, but you are probably right. The rods look like a weapon on the scanner screen. Hope this helps!
Amazing, thank you, that's exactly what I needed to know. We don't keep a charging pack in there so thankfully not an issue and we've already been told by security that the rods that hold out the changing table will be the cause. But now I know the USB ports aren't an issue, I'll buy a new backpack without the changing table feature as we don't use it anyway.
Appreciate your help!!

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
The "port" appears to simply be a built-in cable with a connector inside the bag and another outside the bag. Something like that looks fine, I don't see anything about that that would set off a warning. Personally, if wanting something like this I'd recommend something with a cable pass-through so you can use your own cables. That'd be more future-proofed and you don't need to worry if a built in port goes bad. The type you really want to avoid for parks are bags with built in battery packs, but the prices of them make them easier to skip over. 😄

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom