Diagon Alley reviews thread

Disneyhead'71

The book is considerably darker than either movie.

Therefore, perfect fodder for Universal.

Dorothy: "I don't then we are in Kansas anymore."

IAmFloridaBorn

Honestly, as someone that is going to Universal for 4 days in a week, if the crowds are down, I'm not complaining. But that's just me.

But also as overall fan of theme parks, I really want Diagon Alley to be a smashing success for Universal. And I think it is and will be.
Lol.

Typical New Wait times now.
DM - 85 Minutes +
Rockit - 65 Minutes +
Transformers - 70 Minutes +
Gringotts - 150 Minutes +
Mummy - 30 Minutes - 55 Minutes
MIB - 25 Minutes to 55 Minutes

Everything else is usually 30 Minutes or less give or take a few minutes

MY point is, two years ago, 3 of these rides weren't here and wait times would never exceed 65 minutes for the most popular ride in the park at the time (Rockit). DIagon Alley has changed that! :)

IAmFloridaBorn

So at Disney you can buy a park Hooper and hop between parks on a bus, a monorail or a boat.

At uni you can buy a park Hooper and hop between parks on the Hogwarts express.

Where is the difference? Other than Uni's mode of transport in a tad more elaborate.
Oh huge difference. Main difference is time. I Can probably go park to park in Uni on the Hogwarts express in about 5-6 minutes (Not including a line) as opposed to 30-45 minutes on an over crowded bus.

By the time that bus from Animal Kingdom gets to Magic Kingdom, I've got on the Hogwarts, Watched a short movie on the train Leaving UNI, Went to Islands, Boarded Dueling Dragons TWICE, picked up something to drink, and got in line for Forbidden Journey.

NO there is no difference.

SJN1279

Oh huge difference. Main difference is time. I Can probably go park to park in Uni on the Hogwarts express in about 5-6 minutes (Not including a line) as opposed to 30-45 minutes on an over crowded bus.

By the time that bus from Animal Kingdom gets to Magic Kingdom, I've got on the Hogwarts, Watched a short movie on the train Leaving UNI, Went to Islands, Boarded Dueling Dragons TWICE, picked up something to drink, and got in line for Forbidden Journey.

NO there is no difference.
Or take a 5 minute walk, since IOA is right there.

Animal Kingdom to Magic Kingdom is much further apart. You really can't compare the sizes of WDW to UOR.

71jason

Just out of interest, once all the hype has dissipated and everything's calmed down, how long do people think Diagon Alley will take to 'do'? I.e. a few hours, half a day, a whole day?

Casual fan, probably 2 hours, plus whatever Gringotts ends up taking. If you're a huge Potter fan, easily half a day (includes a meal at Leaky, seeing all the shows, extra time in shops).

Timekeeper

Casual fan, probably 2 hours, plus whatever Gringotts ends up taking. If you're a huge Potter fan, easily half a day (includes a meal at Leaky, seeing all the shows, extra time in shops).

I completely agree with this estimate.

A huge HP fan, who has never experienced IOA or USF before could probably spend the majority of the day just between the two HP areas.

RobUK

Definitely planning on eating at Leaky. Is it truly as detailed as people say then? I'm a bit worried that I've read so much about it, and seen so many video reviews, that there won't be anything left to discover (well, aside from the rides obviously).

Timekeeper

Is it truly as detailed as people say then? I'm a bit worried that I've read so much about it, and seen so many video reviews, that there won't be anything left to discover (well, aside from the rides obviously).

Yes, it is. Nothing in the reviews or videos takes away from the enjoyment of being there in person. You will surely discover lots of things that would take hours to cover in a video format, not to mention plenty of interactive elements.

seahawk7

Ok so I wanted to ask this hear to get your points of view: how did Universal end up with HP over Disney? I read that JK Rowling was the deciding factor, that she believed Disney would Disnify (I made this word up I think) HP and would ruin it. Judging from what they did this last year with Star Wars I think she had a point? Is there more to the story or another story?

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Okay, so, 2nd ride on Gringotts:

I pretty much stand by my initial reactions in my original post in this thread. The ride is very good, no question... but it's no game changer and is underwhelming / too similar to what already exists at Universal despite being a new ride system. When the hype dies down, I think more people will reflect on this.

Milla4Prez66

Ok so I wanted to ask this hear to get your points of view: how did Universal end up with HP over Disney? I read that JK Rowling was the deciding factor, that she believed Disney would Disnify (I made this word up I think) HP and would ruin it. Judging from what they did this last year with Star Wars I think she had a point? Is there more to the story or another story?

I don't know why we assume Disney was ever in on Potter. It isn't like JK Rowling was just doing a public bidding auction for the theme park rights. I'm guessing Universal talked to her and convinced her they could do this properly and they did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom