DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

Captain Chaos

I'm still gathering information, but (at least for me) I think my expectations will be met, not exceeded.
What they appear to be planning, at least for DHS, is not the bare minimum.
The questions are: What were your expectations? Were your expectations high or low? Most of the time, I think we set our expectations low, so if they are being met, then oh no. If they were high, then WOO HOO.

Sounds like your expectations were in the middle. So maybe the expansion won't be all that bad, unlike NFL.

Mike S

I'm still gathering information, but (at least for me) I think my expectations will be met, not exceeded.
Is it more or less than what was done in DCA ride wise would be my question. Also just one new E Ticket like RSR over there (which I'm guessing would be for Star Wars)?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I think your confused. I know some flat rides are necessary but there's a huge difference between the flat rides at Cars Land and the junk that was tossed in Animal Kingdom and HKDL.

Walt Disney World needs rides like Luigi Flying Tires and Aquatopia. They don't need a toy story spinner.
No one needs Luigi's Flying Tires. Slow loading. Unfun. Not even fun to look at. It's best feature is some fun stuff on the walls in the queue.

Agree with Aquatopia -- that one is neat, but it isn't exactly a cheap flat ride. The rides in Toy Story Playland, Flik's Fun Fair, and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree are probably what we're looking at as far as analogs (not all of them, obviously), perhaps with a traditional spinner thrown in. And those will do just fine as long as they are PART of the expansion, as opposed to all of it.

mgf

Im pretty sure the funds for this and Star Wars were approved by the board 6 months ago when Tom Staggs and Iger took them on a tour of Cars Land at DCA:

pic14.jpg

pic21.jpg

Why can't these people dress themselves?

SirLink

He usually has higher expectations than many on these boards who say things like, "yay! Frying pans in the bathroom! Who knew?!"

Oh definitely it is just that for this instance are we classing this simply as a DHS Redo or Expansion. If it is a Redo I expect we will get a slight increase overall in number of attractions ...

doctornick

I recently stumbled across this map of DHS in a permit that was filed with the South Florida Water Management District back in 1989. It shows the area around the park where future expansion was planned. All of these areas have already been used expect C. C is pretty small and has an odd shape so I am not sure what they could do with it.

View attachment 67420

Very interesting. If the parking access road is re-routed to Victory Lane (which has been rumored), then Area C would be easy to connect with the LMA/Catastrophe Canyon area.

Putting on my WDI hat, I still think that if they want to phase this well (to keep the park reasonably operational for guests), they would do something like some quick B- and C-tickets on the main BLT space (next to Soundstage 1) or Behind Soundstage 1/TSMM. Try to open them ASAP to increase attraction capacity. Then close down part of Echo Lake for Star Wars (Phase 2). And Phase 3 would be closing down LMA and using that plot + Catastrophe Canyon to build additional Pixar stuff, maybe the rumored Cars Land lite with Mater's and an indoor dark ride variant of RSR.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If you are referencing Jim Hill, you should listen to his most recent podcast. First, he didn't even speak to SW Land or the front of the park. And regarding Pixar additions, he stated that it is NOT just spinners. I will summarize: Toy Story Playland type area, Monsters Inc Coaster/Ride, Carsland "light" area with a large indoor area including a big D Ticket ride and Flos QS. At one point, he clearly says they are adding C and D ticket level rides in the expanded Pixar area.

And don't forget, Lee (on page 30 of this thread) said that Disney is in a spending mood. Seriously. I think that one single post has about 45 lines now.
Hearing Lee state that along with Hill's hints as to what is coming tells me something big is coming to Pixar Place, NOT just some spinners.
This is what I'm talking about. No clue if Jim Hill is right or not, but I hope he is.

I think the smart way to expand is to add several smaller rides (AKA the play land) as well as a pair of dark rides that will appeal to everyone.

My personal preference would be to see 3 or 4 Pixar films highlighted. Add another Toy Story ride (something small) and possibly relocate Pizza Planet done right. Create a Monsters area with a dark ride, small ride and a monstropolis area including shops, meet and greet areas and maybe a quick service restaurant. Plus Carsland light with the indoor cars dark ride, Mater and a few shops/restaurants. Finally either retheme HISTK to Bugs Life or build a new Bugs kid area. 4 to 6 new rides doubles the ride capacity.

Once that end of the park is rounded out they put the mega E-ticket in the new SW Land along with a D or C ticket.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No offense to Jim Hill, but this actually makes me really hopeful. Over/under is 35 for number of likes Lee gets for this post. I'm taking the over:)

Lets just hope they don't chop the budget too much.

doctornick

Just to judge some prospective, how would you compare the investment in DHS relative to the DCA re-do (Project Sparkle)? Similar scale?

Mawg

hmm, judging from your reactions to the new fantasy land in the past, I would say you typically set your expectations pretty high. Sounds promising.

RSoxNo1

No one needs Luigi's Flying Tires. Slow loading. Unfun. Not even fun to look at. It's best feature is some fun stuff on the walls in the queue.

Agree with Aquatopia -- that one is neat, but it isn't exactly a cheap flat ride. The rides in Toy Story Playland, Flik's Fun Fair, and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree are probably what we're looking at as far as analogs (not all of them, obviously), perhaps with a traditional spinner thrown in. And those will do just fine as long as they are PART of the expansion, as opposed to all of it.
Luigi's Flying Tires could work using the LPS concept in Aquatopia, just use it on land. Having said that, I'm not sure that it would be a particular fun attraction which is ultimately the goal.

Mawg

Very interesting. If the parking access road is re-routed to Victory Lane (which has been rumored), then Area C would be easy to connect with the LMA/Catastrophe Canyon area.

Putting on my WDI hat, I still think that if they want to phase this well (to keep the park reasonably operational for guests), they would do something like some quick B- and C-tickets on the main BLT space (next to Soundstage 1) or Behind Soundstage 1/TSMM. Try to open them ASAP to increase attraction capacity. Then close down part of Echo Lake for Star Wars (Phase 2). And Phase 3 would be closing down LMA and using that plot + Catastrophe Canyon to build additional Pixar stuff, maybe the rumored Cars Land lite with Mater's and an indoor dark ride variant of RSR.

Just my opinion, but I read that the Indian Jones show stadium was booked up for a couple of years still. I think your Phase 2 and 3 need to be switched but agree that this will be done in Phases over the next 5-6 years.

PhilharMagician

I think you forgot something at the end of your post "for now"

At this point I would have hoped your expectations would have far exceeded since typically big projects get cut prior to completion.

Mawg

Just my opinion, but I read that the Indian Jones show stadium was booked up for a couple of years still. I think your Phase 2 and 3 need to be switched but agree that this will be done in Phases over the next 5-6 years.
Actually, I think Phase 1: beef up Toy Story and entertainment (new parade, new show to replace LM maybe beauty and the beast and add more temp frozen crap) as well as other "cheap" offerings to boost capacity. Then Phase 2: make use of back lot tour and LMA area. Phase 3: Redo of Echo lake area and use the Indiana stunt show area. While all 3 phases are going on the front of the park will be getting spruced up theming (say goodbye to BUH). One can dream.

mgf

Honestly there is nothing wrong with the way they are dressed at all. Maybe the lady in the light colored tank top, but everyone else seems dressed just fine.

At the risk of seeming petty (but hey we do it to women ALL the time):

1) The CM is the best dressed Disney rep in the bunch.
2) Two buttons unbuttoned on a shirt never classifies as business anything.
3) Staggs is wearing just a generic, floppy collared polo. He could at least tuck it in to a decent pair of slacks.
4) Bob's sweater is too small to fit over his t-shirt (really?), and his jeans (really?) are too big in the waist. At the very least, the jeans are a bad cut.

I bring this up because it lacks professionalism IMO. It lacks a seriousness about their product. If Disney Parks are about class and high standards, this is not reflected in the attitude (as conveyed by the dress) of the executives.

I am not saying they HAVE to wear Armani to the parks, but they (or their handlers) could do better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom