DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

MrPromey

I think your credibility just took a nose dive.....

Why? What he's saying is true. Not sure if they still sell it in the park but in times past, for $50, Disney themselves would sell you this in the gift shop, right across from the ride. It even comes with its own 3D glasses:

http://www.amazon.com/Toy-Story-Man...839968&sr=8-1&keywords=toy+story+midway+mania

Heck, for the same price as that on Amazon ($29.99) you can now even have the cannon to fire with, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Toy-Story-Man...839968&sr=8-2&keywords=toy+story+midway+mania

There's arguably more variety in the home game and it's more than a 5 minute experience, too. Sure, not all the games on the disk are an exact replica, you aren't in a moving vehicle and having water and air shot at you but for less than a third of the price of admission to Hollywood Studios, you can get a pretty good feel for what the attraction offers - enough that playing at home before going to the park makes the experience seem more familiar than amazing.

Last edited:

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I'm sure this has been thrown around before, but let's not forget that it only took twelve months from ground breaking to opening day for Disneyland... granted NOTHING at Disneyland (when the park first opened) was anywhere near the size or complexity of anything they are currently working on. I think when Disney wants to get things done fast, they can (for a recent example, they got a LOT of work done VERY fast on the hub FastPass gardens just before Spring Break this year to ensure the are looked good for the rush of people during that time), but, from a financial aspect, it's just better on the finances to spread large projects out over several months/years. I think people tend to forget that the least attended Orlando Disney park still gets more people than the most attended Orlando Universal park. With regards to the Toy Story project specifically, I think (hope) Disney realizes the need for additional capacity (in general) for this park and has pushed the project along to provide the much needed relief.

JohnWD

Why? What he's saying is true. Not sure if they still sell it in the park but in times past, for $50, Disney themselves would sell you this in the gift shop, right across from the ride. It even comes with its own 3D glasses:

http://www.amazon.com/Toy-Story-Man...839968&sr=8-1&keywords=toy+story+midway+mania

Heck, for the same price as that on Amazon ($29.99) you can now even have the cannon to fire with, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Toy-Story-Man...839968&sr=8-2&keywords=toy+story+midway+mania

There's arguably more variety in the home game and it's more than a 5 minute experience, too. Sure, not all the games on the disk are an exact replica, you aren't in a moving vehicle and having water and air shot at you but for less than a third of the price of admission to Hollywood Studios, you can get a pretty good feel for what the attraction offers - enough that playing at home before going to the park makes the experience seem more familiar than amazing.
LOL
Yes, you are smarter than everybody who uses FP+ or waits over an hour in line and all come out smiling and having a great time. I understand that you are not fooled but apparently everybody else is. So I just suggest when assessing the DHS park, use the 95% rule. When assessing a ride for yourself, you can't be wrong.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
LOL
Yes, you are smarter than everybody who uses FP+ or waits over an hour in line and all come out smiling and having a great time. I understand that you are not fooled but apparently everybody else is. So I just suggest when assessing the DHS park, use the 95% rule. When assessing a ride for yourself, you can't be wrong.

I actually agree with him, it's a glorified video game. I rode it once, and never plan to again. I much prefer Space Ranger Spin to TSMM.

Next Big Thing

I actually agree with him, it's a glorified video game. I rode it once, and never plan to again. I much prefer Space Ranger Spin to TSMM.
Yes and no. I've played the Wii version and it sucks. It's not the same experience unless you actually are in the ride. Nothing feels competitive about it. I love going up against someone and have that rush to beat them with an actual physical mechanism rather than a simple wii-remote. I'm learned where all the good targets are on Buzz for me to care too much anymore. I max out every time, whereas I always find TS Mania to be much more of a challenge.

MrPromey

LOL

What are you talking about?

All I did was point out that what the other guy said wasn't so outlandish when you were attacking his "credibility" because of a statement he made that you apparently didn't understand.

I didn't even say that someone should do that instead of the ride.

Are you normally this much of a jerk to people you don't know or only on Disney forums?

JohnWD

What are you talking about?

All I did was point out that what the other guy said wasn't so outlandish when you were attacking his "credibility" because of a statement he made that you apparently didn't understand.

I didn't even say that someone should do that instead of the ride.

Are you normally this much of a jerk to people you don't know or only on Disney forums?
As I retread my comment, I have to agree I was a jerk. Point taken - I apologize.

OT - DHS is a mess. I think TSM is a good one to keep, but it needs several more good ones with at least a ToT and RnR quality. Hopefully SWL and Phase 3 will deliver. TSM as well as TSL are/will be good for the Parents/kids.

MrPromey

Yes and no. I've played the Wii version and it sucks. It's not the same experience unless you actually are in the ride. Nothing feels competitive about it. I love going up against someone and have that rush to beat them with an actual physical mechanism rather than a simple wii-remote. I'm learned where all the good targets are on Buzz for me to care too much anymore. I max out every time, whereas I always find TS Mania to be much more of a challenge.

I agree, the ride is more fun than the game. For the record, I wasn't the one that said I would just stay home and play my Wii. I was just pointing someone who was acting like he was an idiot for his statement to what he was talking about and acknowledging he had a point.

That said, I question if we would see day-of fast passes gone and 60+ minute wait times consistently if the attraction were in the Magic Kingdom where we also have Buzz Lightyear and a whole host of other fun family attractions. I also imagine that if you were able to ride it repeatedly, without an hour and a half break in between, you'd get pretty good at that one, too.

I also like Soarin', but question if that ride would need a third theater if there were more family friendly attractions in that park that weren't antiquated or bad from the start (looking at you, Journey Into Imagination).

Regardless, I'm glad they are doing something to improve capacity. Just wish it was with something other than more pigs.

http://www.keytothekingdombook.com/...otten-tale-of-walt-disneys-three-little-pigs/

Last edited:

MrPromey

As I retread my comment, I have to agree I was a jerk. Point taken - I apologize.

OT - DHS is a mess. I think TSM is a good one to keep, but it needs several more good ones with at least a ToT and RnR quality. Hopefully SWL and Phase 3 will deliver. TSM as well as TSL are/will be good for the Parents/kids.

Apology completely accepted. It's easy to get heated about things we are passionate about. :)

And Igree with you!

GrumpyFan

This thread is way too long, and has wandered in and out of the topic at hand, but with the rumored closing of Soarin' next year, it made me wonder if there is any planned downtime in the coming year, as we get closer to the expansion being opened? I haven't seen anything here (unless it's buried in this thread), or elsewhere, so does that mean this project is scheduled to open later than the Soarin' expansion, or do they have a plan that will minimize the downtime to open the new part?

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
This thread is way too long, and has wandered in and out of the topic at hand, but with the rumored closing of Soarin' next year, it made me wonder if there is any planned downtime in the coming year, as we get closer to the expansion being opened? I haven't seen anything here (unless it's buried in this thread), or elsewhere, so does that mean this project is scheduled to open later than the Soarin' expansion, or do they have a plan that will minimize the downtime to open the new part?

I really think they are going to figure out a way to not close Soarin for much time at all. Maybe just a day. I think they'll get the new theatre open and then shut down one of the old to fix up. Then when it's done, shut down the other theatre.

And as for Toy Story Mania, I think they'll get the new line open first using the current entrance and then start working on the backside entrance so they can flip it one TSL opens. I figure they'll have to close down for a few days but nothing prolonged. DHS can't take that right now.

G00fyDad

I really think they are going to figure out a way to not close Soarin for much time at all. Maybe just a day. I think they'll get the new theatre open and then shut down one of the old to fix up. Then when it's done, shut down the other theatre.

And as for Toy Story Mania, I think they'll get the new line open first using the current entrance and then start working on the backside entrance so they can flip it one TSL opens. I figure they'll have to close down for a few days but nothing prolonged. DHS can't take that right now.

That was my thoughts as well. That way the current wait time and flow of guests through the attraction will not change at all. At least not until they open the last refurbed theater and then we will see the wait time reduced and guest flow increased.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

Rumor is that the Soarin' CM's are being crossed trained at other locations which would indicate that this is not going to be a short closure. I would also expected a short closing for Soarin, but if it is going to be a long closure, I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen to TSMM.

Next Big Thing

Rumor is that the Soarin' CM's are being crossed trained at other locations which would indicate that this is not going to be a short closure. I would also expected a short closing for Soarin, but if it is going to be a long closure, I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen to TSMM.
DHS can't handle TSMM going down for a long period of time until TSL opens at the very least. They're gonna have to find a way around it or do a short closure.

Next Big Thing

Your response is logical, but doesn't mean Disney will follow that logic.
I feel like they can easily put a wall up in the current queue and work on changing the queue pattern/combine the buildings overnight. I feel the ride shouldn't have to close for more than a few days max.

Of course you are right, Disney doesn't always follow logic.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
Ahh that is interesting. Sorta surprised by that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom