DHS Parking lot remodel and expansion

roj2323

Original Poster
I was originally thinking something like this, but I don't see the tanks that would hold the material that is being mixed with the soil. Of course it's possible that the ground work is done and that machine shown in the pictures is doing something else.

The tanks could be onboard the machine with storage being the red and yellow in the picture. An alternative could be Helical Piers which is basically a giant metal screw that gets left in the ground. To use those however they would almost certainly have to use concrete instead of asphalt for the parking lot to bridge the load between the piers.
Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 9.51.12 PM.png

msteel

I don't think it's pilings in the traditional sense. I'm pretty sure it's more or less a stable material like clay thats being put in place. Apparently the process is called Dry soil mixing.

http://www.haywardbaker.com/solutions/techniques/dry-soil-mixing

Here's a another site with more detailed info on the process
https://www.raitoinc.com/technologies/single-large-diameter/

Would they be using wick drains here as discussed in the road construction thread?

Are you referring to this area...

View attachment 163722

roj2323

Original Poster
That's what we expected, but the wicks would probably not be that visible in the aerials.

I stopped by DHS today and parked at the 90º bend in the entry road and stood on my truck. I didn't take a picture but they are using the same system as they are using on the road project. There were little silver bits poking out of the ground about every 2-3 ft on a grid.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I stopped by DHS today and parked at the 90º bend in the entry road and stood on my truck. I didn't take a picture but they are using the same system as they are using on the road project. There were little silver bits poking out of the ground about every 2-3 ft on a grid.

That does sound like the wick system. Thanks for the potentially dangerous effort you put into get this information. ;)

roj2323

Original Poster
That does sound like the wick system. Thanks for the potentially dangerous effort you put into get this information. ;)
Not at all dangerous. I was parked out of the way and I drive a truck so all I had to do was stand in the door opening of the truck.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Not at all dangerous. I was parked out of the way and I drive a truck so all I had to do was stand in the door opening of the truck.

Come on don't be so humble, there was a high speed chase with Disney security, death defying stunts, explosions, and in the end many bothans died to bring us this information;)

But seriously thanks for the update!

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
If you count what has been taken away from the park the net gain is 0 or negative depending on what you consider an attraction ect.
I rather have these lands than the "attractions," but I see what you are talking about. I think it is a positive gain overall, the park needed this in my opinion.

matt9112

I rather have these lands than the "attractions," but I see what you are talking about. I think it is a positive gain overall, the park needed this in my opinion.

This won't fix the horrible park layout....Marni has hinted that more wide spread changes to entry ect are also coming but the park overall is bottleneck central.

roj2323

Original Poster
This won't fix the horrible park layout....Marni has hinted that more wide spread changes to entry ect are also coming but the park overall is bottleneck central.

I'm positive the backstage lane they currently use for Fantasmic between Crossroads and sunset boulevard will be opened up as a guest area as It would not take much at all to make it "show ready" on a more permeant basis. It would also lighten the load on sunset boulevard especially during peak seasons and between the last Beauty and the Beast show of the night (TOTS theater) and the opening of Fantasmic's cue about 1.5 hours later (usually). This will probably be tied into the redo of TOTS, whenever that actually happens. At the moment I'm not actually sure if they are going to keep TOTS and remodel it or bulldoze it in favor of opening up the area for 1-2 new attractions. If they do go the Buldoze route I suspect they will install a dark ride or two.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
That's a whole other issue that I don't don't think can be fixed without rebuilding the park itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom