DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

tl77

I think you forgot something
Hollywood-parkZ.jpg

ULPO46

What about Newsies? The Broadway show is doing quite well; I think an adaptation would work quite well in DHS.
Currently Newsies is on it's national tour. That's a brilliant idea considering that Newsies was filmed at the Disney's-MGM Studios. But alas they are not in the plans. The shows that are now currently there will remain there. The Actors Equity Association has a very strong presence at the parks shows. I have friends who are in many of them, none have spoken about the show being changed.

ToTBellHop

Currently Newsies is on it's national tour. That's a brilliant idea considering that Newsies was filmed at the Disney's-MGM Studios. But alas they are not in the plans. The shows that are now currently there will remain there. The Actors Equity Association has a very strong presence at the parks shows. I have friends who are in many of them, none have spoken about the show being changed.
Well, they wouldn't know yet. Plans for the parks have not been announced to anyone who is front-line in the parks.

ULPO46

Well, they wouldn't know yet. Plans for the parks have not been announced to anyone who is front-line in the parks.
'
They would because it's a union thing. Remember what happened over "soiled" costumes. The AEA is one of the most powerful entertainment unions. As for the knowledge of the shows. I know that TWDC has no intentions of bringing MAPO or Newsies to it's Florida location. Believe me everyone on the National Tour of Newsies would sign up to sing King of New York and Seize the day at WDW, but it won't happen anytime soon. A larger stage than the one at beauty and the beast would be required.

ToTBellHop

'
They would because it's a union thing. Remember what happened over "soiled" costumes. The AEA is one of the most powerful entertainment unions. As for the knowledge of the shows. I know that TWDC has no intentions of bringing MAPO or Newsies to it's Florida location. Believe me everyone on the National Tour of Newsies would sign up to sing King of New York and Seize the day at WDW, but it won't happen anytime soon. A larger stage than the one at beauty and the beast would be required.
I know you are correct that MAPO and Newsies won't be coming either. Could you imagine that incredible Mary Poppins house set being maintained for 10 shows daily, year round? Never gonna happen.

ULPO46

I know you are correct that MAPO and Newsies won't be coming either. Could you imagine that incredible Mary Poppins house set being maintained for 10 shows daily, year round? Never gonna happen.
I could. It would have to be a specifically built stage housing in the works of a couple million dollars. But I think they would be able to pull it off. The only reason why they couldn't do it is because those two shows are difficult to compress. Nemo's brilliant, but both parents and kids get bored halfway through the 45 minute show.

ToTBellHop

I could. It would have to be a specifically built stage housing in the works of a couple million dollars. But I think they would be able to pull it off. The only reason why they couldn't do it is because those two shows are difficult to compress. Nemo's brilliant, but both parents and kids get bored halfway through the 45 minute show.
Which calls into question whether or not any true Broadway-style production would work. Or, are theme parks destined to be stuck with effectively a greatest-hits-from-the-movie show like Festival of the Lion King? You are right that people don't want to focus for more than 30 minutes. Wonder how Aladdin is faring nowadays out west.

Part of Nemo's problem, I think, is that while I enjoy the music, it's not memorable for most people because none of it was in the movie. At least with a show like Aladdin, you enjoy the music because it recalls the first time you saw the movie. I enjoyed Aladdin on Broadway for this reason (I actually didn't think the show itself was spectacular, but I like the music; it was no Lion King or Newsies. "Friend Like Me" was the greatest 10 minute spectacle I've ever seen in live theater though. Wish the rest of the show measured up).

ULPO46

Which calls into question whether or not any true Broadway-style production would work. Or, are theme parks destined to be stuck with effectively a greatest-hits-from-the-movie show like Festival of the Lion King? You are right that people don't want to focus for more than 30 minutes. Wonder how Aladdin is faring nowadays out west.

Part of Nemo's problem, I think, is that while I enjoy the music, it's not memorable for most people because none of it was in the movie. At least with a show like Aladdin, you enjoy the music because it recalls the first time you saw the movie. I enjoyed Aladdin on Broadway for this reason (I actually didn't think the show itself was spectacular, but I like the music; it was no Lion King or Newsies).
Well the Aladdin at DL is entirely different from the one on Broadway so is the festival the lion king. not to mention the Aladdin at DL is older than Aladdin on Broadway. I was lucky enough to help out with production of the Aladdin Broadway show. T number one goal was to not make it like the movie. In the original plans for the movie Alan Menken had idea of Genie being a Jazz singer but the target audiences didn't like it so we got the Robin Williams Genie that we know and love today. Never the less Disney Theatrical Group is one of the most successful show production companies on Broadway, west end and the rest of the theater world. Up until broadways revival of Phantom, the Lion King held the highest gross at the box office. It's so amazing to see the diversity at Disney and how prosperous the shows are. Can't wait until Frozen is finished, it will be such a hit for little ones.

LongtimeReader

'
They would because it's a union thing. Remember what happened over "soiled" costumes. The AEA is one of the most powerful entertainment unions. As for the knowledge of the shows.

This isn't correct. The union requires only a two week notice for closing a show, and if two weeks isn't given, they must still pay two weeks salary to any cast and staff let go. Ask anyone on Broadway. Or in American Idol at DHS, haha. They certainly had no idea their show was going to be closed months earlier than announced. It stinks, but a performers union does not give you job security, it just gives you protection on the actual job. I can promise you that if any show changes are happening, the casts wouldn't likely know about it. Disney is not required in any way to let the union in on their long term plans for entertainment.

Edit: it MAY only be one-week notice, but I'm not 100% sure. Don't have the AEA articles of agreement handy.

ULPO46

This isn't correct. The union requires only a two week notice for closing a show, and if two weeks isn't given, they must still pay two weeks salary to any cast and staff let go. Ask anyone on Broadway. Or in American Idol at DHS, haha. They certainly had no idea their show was going to be closed months earlier than announced. It stinks, but a performers union does not give you job security, it just gives you protection on the actual job. I can promise you that if any show changes are happening, the casts wouldn't likely know about it. Disney is not required in any way to let the union in on their long term plans for entertainment.
I know this. Other than my degree in Hospitality and Business management I had a double major I Musical Theater. Which I just really did for the fun of it as I've always enjoyed acting for fun. I learned all the aspects and am a member of the AEA. Although there is the two week notice, nothing will be announced until something new opens. Right now there are only so many attractions and shows at the third park. The company has no intent of taking anything out at the moment unless it deems the building is in the way for the finalized plans.

ULPO46

Of course, We're assuming the Bobs announce it....
;)That's if he even announces it. So much is being announced in less than 9 days that it will be difficult to retain all the info. Lets just hope that the third time is the charm. I still call this place MGM, just as anyone who was alive at the time it was opened calls it around these neck of the woods. But for now I just call it WDW's Third Gate.

dizneycrazy09

Part of Nemo's problem, I think, is that while I enjoy the music, it's not memorable for most people because none of it was in the movie. At least with a show like Aladdin, you enjoy the music because it recalls the first time you saw the movie. I enjoyed Aladdin on Broadway for this reason (I actually didn't think the show itself was spectacular, but I like the music; it was no Lion King or Newsies. "Friend Like Me" was the greatest 10 minute spectacle I've ever seen in live theater though. Wish the rest of the show measured up).

Off topic, but I couldn't agree with you more about Aladdin on Broadway. The first act is SPECTACULAR. Then, the second act kind of falls flat, and the ending left me utterly disappointed.

I do believe that a Broadway caliber show could thrive in a park like DHS. I like to believe that with a quality, high-caliber show/production, the audience would gladly focus for longer than 30 minutes. Wishful thinking...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom