DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Next Big Thing

Shot in the dark here: as of today, DHS CMs just received a notification that they will be required to park at Epcot and shuttle over starting x date within the next few days.

That was my guess based on what @marni1971 said.
I'd bet on them being told to park at Blizzard Beach. The lot never fills up and that's traditionally where DHS sends CMs when there are events held in the parking lot.

sloppy.joey

I thought they only used the Blizzard Beach lot for DHS cast when BB was closed for its annual refurb. The rest of the time they use the Epcot lot.
For January to August Epcot is an option but I imagine that with the parking problems from F&W and HAtW, if it's happening any time in the next month or two, it will probably have to be BB at first.

mikeh

Gotta wonder how last-minute this plan was. As you can see from that pic, they've already painted the building grey to match the color scheme of the Launch Bay. Genuinely didn't think anything would go in there until they started Seasons of the Force

This is a completely different building than the launch bay. This is the old Sounds Dangerous location

YodaMan

This is a completely different building than the launch bay. This is the old Sounds Dangerous location

.... I know? Like I said, it's been painted the same COLOR SCHEME as Launch Bay to gear up for Seasons of the Force, not saying this is the same building as Launch Bay...

YodaMan

Ah, I read your post wrong. Apologies.

No worries. Mostly just trying to figure out the timetable of this. We know the building was meant to be used for Seasons of the Force (and I assume the preview ends soon enough for that to still be the case). But we also know there were permits for a "Screen Refresh." So I'm curious if the inside has already been refurbed or if that got pushed until after this preview wraps up. And also curious how the "Idol Facility Rehab" fits into this as well.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No worries. Mostly just trying to figure out the timetable of this. We know the building was meant to be used for Seasons of the Force (and I assume the preview ends soon enough for that to still be the case). But we also know there were permits for a "Screen Refresh." So I'm curious if the inside has already been refurbed or if that got pushed until after this preview wraps up. And also curious how the "Idol Facility Rehab" fits into this as well.

The Twitter post says it only runs until the 10/30.

YodaMan

The Twitter post says it only runs until the 10/30.

Possibly. Based on the source, I'm not 100% confident that they didn't simply misread the press release that says the album comes out on 10/30. Seeing as most movie previews stick around until AFTER the film has been in theatres a few weeks (or months), I'd imagine this preview will sick around until Seasons of the Force starts, but they don't have a firm date for that yet.

Next Big Thing

Possibly. Based on the source, I'm not 100% confident that they didn't simply misread the press release that says the album comes out on 10/30. Seeing as most movie previews stick around until AFTER the film has been in theatres a few weeks (or months), I'd imagine this preview will sick around until Seasons of the Force starts, but they don't have a firm date for that yet.
It's not a movie preview, it's a music album.

YodaMan

It's not a movie preview, it's a music album.

Welp, guess no one is understanding anything I'm posting today. Yep, I still know it's an album. It's a preview of it not dissimilar to the movie previews they do in the Sound Studio. I'm just saying that if movie previews stick around after the movie's release date, I wouldn't be surprised if an album preview sticks around after the album's release date...

Next Big Thing

Welp, guess no one is understanding anything I'm posting today. Yep, I still know it's an album. It's a preview of it not dissimilar to the movie previews they do in the Sound Studio. I'm just saying that if movie previews stick around after the movie's release date, I wouldn't be surprised if an album preview sticks around after the album's release date...
I'm going to choose to believe the 10/30 date more than I don't believe it.

French Quarter

Very nice promotional propaganda, but, that is not what I'm talking about. I am talking about the incentive or even the real possibility of someone with eyesight bad enough to need braille to go there to begin with. Other then what they can hear, what enjoyment can be derived from a place that is that high a percentage of visual stimulation. Also explain to me how someone that cannot see, is able to negotiate the park without assistance. It's all well and good to want to give an opportunity to challenged individuals, but, in some cases the disabilities are insurmountable. That is all I am saying.

I had given you the benefit of the doubt but I find this to be completely offensive. Your understanding of the visually impaired is severely lacking. Blind people make their way around major cities each and every day by themselves. They can certainly find their way around a theme park. Most of the world is visual. That doesn't mean that those with this disability sit at home all day, avoid television, or don't go on vacation. ADDs are wonderful devices that Disney provides that allow visually impaired guests to enjoy the rides fully as are the touch maps.

If you look around the web, you will find fan communities devoted to Disney and the visually impaired. (And yes, blind people use the internet too. Imagine!) They visit Disney just like you. And that is obvious from the story that was told about one such person using the touch map the other day at DHS.

Anyway...I am done with this conversation. I really don't deal well with ignorance. And I have no idea why you would suggest that Disney just ignore these guests and their needs. What's it to you?

Goofyernmost

I had given you the benefit of the doubt but I find this to be completely offensive. Your understanding of the visually impaired is severely lacking. Blind people make their way around major cities each and every day by themselves. They can certainly find their way around a theme park. Most of the world is visual. That doesn't mean that those with this disability sit at home all day, avoid television, or don't go on vacation. ADDs are wonderful devices that Disney provides that allow visually impaired guests to enjoy the rides fully as are the touch maps.

If you look around the web, you will find fan communities devoted to Disney and the visually impaired. (And yes, blind people use the internet too. Imagine!) They visit Disney just like you. And that is obvious from the story that was told about one such person using the touch map the other day at DHS.

Anyway...I am done with this conversation. I really don't deal well with ignorance. And I have no idea why you would suggest that Disney just ignore these guests and their needs. What's it to you?
I don't deal well with people that interpret other peoples discussions as ignorance either. I may know quite a bit about the handicapped and the blind. I owned a residential care home that took care of just those people for 14 years. I am not without some experience in dealing with the visually impaired. I also realize that there is a significant difference between visually impaired and totally blind. I am talking about the totally blind, but, it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see that even those with lesser impairments would have trouble negotiating a place like WDW. Going alone would be almost like not being there except that they would get run into more often.

You are talking foolishness. You think that those people that find their way around New York or any other places, for that matter, just stepped out of their home and started walking. No, they had to be led around a number of times until they memorized and acclimated to the turns, the streets and the surroundings. They count steps, the listen for sounds and the different odors that they might encounter on their journey's. I have nothing but respect for those that have the confidence and the courage to do things on their own, however, unless they have a full sized model of WDW in their backyard, they do not go alone when they do go. Would you expect a person that cannot see would go to a place like WDW, pay full admission to just sit there in the middle of the street and listen to the crowd go by them? Would they even be able to find the kiosk that housed those maps and such? I have not once said that they shouldn't have them or that they shouldn't be kept in updated form, however, it seems to me to be quite obvious that there is no real demand for them or they would have been discovered a long time ago. It is a nice thing to offer, but, I doubt that it is seen as a priority.

So get offended if you must, I will survive, but, there is no need to be insulting in making your point.

Haymarket2008

Any info out there concerning the total overhaul of Great Movie Ride towards the end of the DHS reimagining? This piece of the puzzle has been MIA, so to speak, throughout all of the breaking news.

Luxe

Any info out there concerning the total overhaul of Great Movie Ride towards the end of the DHS reimagining? This piece of the puzzle has been MIA, so to speak, throughout all of the breaking news.

I don't think there's any plans to mess with GMR, especially seeing as they JUST gave it the TCM refresh. I don't have any sources for this information but based on what I've read for DHS plans, it doesn't seem to be included.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom