DHS Firework Testing

R W B

Except for the thousands and thousands of visitors that can only get time off during the holidays due to work/school restraints and have to see WDW during the holidays by default and not by choice!
And what about the thousands of visitors that can only get time off during the summer due to work/school restraints and have to see WDW during the summer by default and not by choice?

Their stuck with the hottest temps and long lines. Everyone has some sort of scheduling conflict.

Goofyernmost

Except for the thousands and thousands of visitors that can only get time off during the holidays due to work/school restraints and have to see WDW during the holidays by default and not by choice!
It could be worse, they could have gone full bore on those godawful overlays that DL has during the holidays. At least all WDW has, for the most part, is music and decorations. Also many people that cannot go during the holidays feel that they are missing out on a lot of nice things.

ToTBellHop

It could be worse, they could have gone full bore on those godawful overlays that DL has during the holidays. At least all WDW has, for the most part, is music and decorations. Also many people that cannot go during the holidays feel that they are missing out on a lot of nice things.
It could be worse--they might not be able to go to Disney World at all. First world problems.

I would bet more people like the Christmas decorations for 2 1/2 months than complain about them. Everyone likes to feel like their vacation is special.

JimboJones123

Ghost Galaxy is pretty sweet.
As is Small World Christmas.
And of course Haunted Mansion Holiday.
Did I miss the sarcasm?
Was your post in jest?

doctornick

So, regarding fireworks at DHS.... can someone explain to me why they have to close the back of the park during them? I mean, I know it is for the fallout, but can't they launch fireworks from somewhere that won't interfere with guest areas? Just seems like there should be room to make it work. Could they launch from the other side of World Dr?

I hope this is something they address with this planned makeover of DHS. Would be nice to have fireworks and Fantasmic! and have the whole park open every night. (Alternatively, at least bring back a parade during the day)

Goofyernmost

Ghost Galaxy is pretty sweet.
As is Small World Christmas.
And of course Haunted Mansion Holiday.
Did I miss the sarcasm?
Was your post in jest?
Yes and no! I hate overlays. I know that the folks out in California think that they are the best thing since sliced bread. I just hate to see a classic, like HM, covered over for a holiday. There is enough celebratory things going on outside the attractions, it doesn't need to be brought in on everything. I also understand why and how DL is able to get away with the shutdowns. I also understand why WDW is not the same animal and why it isn't as widely enjoyed in Orlando. I'm just thankful that it isn't in Florida. JMHO!

ToTBellHop

So, regarding fireworks at DHS.... can someone explain to me why they have to close the back of the park during them? I mean, I know it is for the fallout, but can't they launch fireworks from somewhere that won't interfere with guest areas? Just seems like there should be room to make it work. Could they launch from the other side of World Dr?

I hope this is something they address with this planned makeover of DHS. Would be nice to have fireworks and Fantasmic! and have the whole park open every night. (Alternatively, at least bring back a parade during the day)
The problem DHS has is that Hollywood Blvd. is pretty short so firework viewing tends to be close to the hat/theatre. If they were to build a firework launching site behind the park (supposing there is room), those fireworks would be blocked by the hat/theatre for a good number of the viewers. This same problem occurs in the MK if you are right in front of the Castle, but most people learn this and park themselves elsewhere. DHS doesn't really have the room for guests to be further back from the hat/theatre, so in-park pyro is best for most viewing angles, especially once the hat is gone. Thankfully, many of the new projects under consideration are outside of the fallout zone.

doctornick

The problem DHS has is that Hollywood Blvd. is pretty short so firework viewing tends to be close to the hat/theatre. If they were to build a firework launching site behind the park (supposing there is room), those fireworks would be blocked by the hat/theatre for a good number of the viewers. This same problem occurs in the MK if you are right in front of the Castle, but most people learn this and park themselves elsewhere. DHS doesn't really have the room for guests to be further back from the hat/theatre, so in-park pyro is best for most viewing angles, especially once the hat is gone. Thankfully, many of the new projects under consideration are outside of the fallout zone.

Couldn't they just have pyro that is higher? I'm just asking, I have no idea if that's practical. But if the issue is blocked site lines, then I would think it could be solved by having fireworks that explode higher up.

Also, I would think that whatever replaces Backlot Tour (and eventually if anything goes in the LMA footprint) would be in the fallout zone, no?

Voxel

President of Progress City
Not so much bad luck but inappropriate for many Christians. Pretty much the religious season is done for all versions by January 6th. Most every commercial venue and municipal area cleans up by the New Year or by Janauary 6th. For those who don't celebrate the holiday it common courtesy for patrons and neighbors.

For many that follow the more Orthodox-Eastern those Christmas Decorations come down On January 6th. It has everything to do with the 12 days of Christmas and when that is reached there is a feast tied to Epiphany and Christ being Baptized on the 12th day. All Christmas decorations come down with the feast.

Western gets a tad mixed up as some traditions have gone away but my Grandparents from Ireland along with the UK celebrated boxing day and then after the Celebrations of NYE, January 1st was a holy day (why we were originally given the day off around here) as it is celebrated as the day baby Jesus had to be Circumcised and baptized. Christmas decorations down for this. I was raised Catholic and attended St Sylvester elementary school in my early years. St.Sylvester passed on December 31 and waked buried on January 1. Christmas decorations down for all this January 1st for this important Pope in the very early years of the Catholic Church after Christ birth.

And then there is municipal. Our local laws state any holiday decoration must be down within 2 months. (we missed that with the blizzard covering and sealing everything down well into February.)

Disney sure is stretching this season out more and more. We traveled to Disney over the entire winter break for years when my kids were small and usually came home late in the first week of January. Christmas decorations started coming down in the resorts around New Years. We were always able to see the resorts and all the parks Christmas free at the end of trips. Arriving a few days before Christmas it was nice to see the parks and resorts cleaned up after the holidays were over.

2 and a half months of Christmas at Disney is a lot.
It also depends on your culture too. When I visited Italy in late January (15th-28th) a couple of years ago I was surprised to see that they still had Christmas Decorations up. The churches/cities were maintains manager scenes (including ones with live animals), many of them had christmas music/winter themed ice skating rinks out side. Venice even lit up park of the city and had projection snowflakes falling. This was all after when would would consider past christmas.

ToTBellHop

Couldn't they just have pyro that is higher? I'm just asking, I have no idea if that's practical. But if the issue is blocked site lines, then I would think it could be solved by having fireworks that explode higher up.

Also, I would think that whatever replaces Backlot Tour (and eventually if anything goes in the LMA footprint) would be in the fallout zone, no?
Fireworks can only go so high.

Depends on which part of BLT. The narrow wedge near the water tower would, but the large space where Catastrophe Canyon and LMA are located would not.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Do a lot of people have time off the first 2 weeks of January? Around me schools go back right after New Years. I did go to WDW once in the beginning of January when I was in college. It was cheaper and empty.

xstech25

Not so much bad luck but inappropriate for many Christians. Pretty much the religious season is done for all versions by January 6th. Most every commercial venue and municipal area cleans up by the New Year or by Janauary 6th. For those who don't celebrate the holiday it common courtesy for patrons and neighbors.

For many that follow the more Orthodox-Eastern those Christmas Decorations come down On January 6th. It has everything to do with the 12 days of Christmas and when that is reached there is a feast tied to Epiphany and Christ being Baptized on the 12th day. All Christmas decorations come down with the feast.
Dude it's 2014 - Christmas has nothing to do with Christianity, it's all about makin-the-money. And due to globalization it's not only in the United States but all over the world. I was in Turkey in November and there were streets decked out with Christmas decorations.

doctornick

One slight correction. Eastern Orthodox Christmas is celebrated on January 7, which is based on the old calendar.

If you want to be technical, Eastern Orthodox Christmas falls on December 25 -- but they use the Julian Calendar, which is 13 days different than the Gregorian Calendar used in most of the world. So, Dec 25 on the Julian Calendar is the same day as Jan 7 on the Gregorian Calendar.

Some people think it has to do with celebrating the Epiphany or such, but it's not.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Dude it's 2014 - Christmas has nothing to do with Christianity, it's all about makin-the-money. And due to globalization it's not only in the United States but all over the world. I was in Turkey in November and there were streets decked out with Christmas decorations.

As a DW and mother of 2 great kids I prefer Dudette. ;)

The November doesn't surprise me. It is the middle of January, three weeks after the Big Day for the overwhelming practicing Christians in the US. While I respect your views of Christmas having nothing to do with Christianity, (which I don't share) I see little financial draw to Christmas decorations and Christmas carol loops being played in the middle of January. Global or not, the vast majority of visitors at Disney for Christmas are from the US. That is likely why you don't see Santa in the Malls on MLK Day. Now I can see how packing up this stuff is about spending less money in the clean up process. Beefing up crews overnight to bring the Christmas decorations down in a timely fashion might not be what the bean counters want to invest in at Disney.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

The November doesn't surprise me. It is the middle of January, three weeks after the Big Day for the overwhelming practicing Christians in the US. While I respect your views of Christmas having nothing to do with Christianity, (which I don't share) I see little financial draw to Christmas decorations and Christmas carol loops being played in the middle of January. Global or not, the vast majority of visitors at Disney for Christmas are from the US. That is likely why you don't see Santa in the Malls on MLK Day. Now I can see how packing up this stuff is about spending less money in the clean up process. Beefing up crews overnight to bring the Christmas decorations down in a timely fashion might not be what the bean counters want to invest in at Disney.
It does take some time to bring it all down. They couldn't start the process until January 2nd at the earliest because people visiting the week between Christmas and New Years probably expect Christmas stuff. I think there may be a small niche crowd who would like to see the parks decorated but don't want to fight massive crowds. They go the week after New Years. They probably wait until the 2nd week of January to start bringing down most of the decorations.

I honestly don't think Christmas decorations 2 weeks after New Years are as out of place as a Halloween parade and decorations in August. That one is a head scratcher to me.

xstech25

My point being the street had a few mosques and no churches - the people who had the major land holdings were obviously muslim but investing in western consumerism (aka Christmas hype).

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
It does take some time to bring it all down. They couldn't start the process until January 2nd at the earliest because people visiting the week between Christmas and New Years probably expect Christmas stuff. I think there may be a small niche crowd who would like to see the parks decorated but don't want to fight massive crowds. They go the week after New Years. They probably wait until the 2nd week of January to start bringing down most of the decorations.

I honestly don't think Christmas decorations 2 weeks after New Years are as out of place as a Halloween parade and decorations in August. That one is a head scratcher to me.

We did two decades of Christmas at Disney through the early 2000's. We'd arrive a couple days before Christmas and stay through the first week of January, depending on Winter Breaks. We always had 3-4 days of the parks not having Christmas to end our trip. It was nice to see the parks return to normal during the trip. Now, they drag it out like they drag just about everything, it saves money, nothing more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom