DHS Aerial View

deWild

Hold on a second, if the animation studio part of DHS is gone now, what need is there for that parking structure?

Goofyernmost

The one thing about the parking garage being themed as a basket is not ever going to happen because it would be completely out of scale and perspective. Where would you ever find a fruit basket that is higher then a picket fence. It would be a clever way to present it if it fit in with what we are seeing. As it is they are asking us to feel that we have been shrunk down to actually less then kid size along side of the coaster. Who ever had a toy coaster that full size kids could ride on? So they covered it up with the huge picket fence and it is up to us to not pay attention to anything beyond that, visible or not. It can be done. For example, even though if I focus on it, I can see the soarin building in many places in Epcot, but, my eyes are never drawn to it unless I decide I want to see it. The same with the Swan and Dolphin. I have never noticed them at all in Epcot. Maybe that is why I have enjoyed WDW all these years. I don't over think it. I don't try and make it all something that it is not. I just enjoy the things I do and by doing that do not even notice the things that some find unforgivable.

roj2323

It's still used for cast member parking.
Mostly for salaried cast but yes it is used quite a bit every day. During the holidays they also allow hourly cast to park back there although to be honest some ( a small number) already have that privilege year round.

deWild

The animation studio is closed but the building does not sit empty. It is filled with offices for several departments. Those people have to park somewhere.

I feel like closing these buildings and the parking structure would open up the bottleneck from RnR to Toy Story Land. Lemme guess though, probably costs too much? And isn't there going to be new cast parking after the revamp of the park?

peter11435

I feel like closing these buildings and the parking structure would open up the bottleneck from RnR to Toy Story Land. Lemme guess though, probably costs too much? And isn't there going to be new cast parking after the revamp of the park?
The bottleneck could be alleviated other ways if they desired and felt it was necessary. Removing the building and garage would open up some expansion space but then you would have to move all the operations that exist in the building, build new homes for them and demolish the existing structures. All of which would cost large amounts of money. Completely doable but at this point really not necessary. There will be new cast parking but that won't effect the mostly office and salaried cast that park in the garage and work in the former feature animation building.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

If DHS if ever going to continue to expand with new 'lands', then this is an eventual likelihood. The park was originally built to be an active studio and so they didn't care at the time to create a hub and spoke design that most parks have. They just plopped down huge studio buildings and back stage facilities with no plan to be a hub and spoke park.

This has changed with TSL which demo'd a big chunk of back stage to create the land. SWL demo'd a big chunk of 'studio' attractions (Back Lot Tour, LMA, SoA) for that land. There ain't much areas left for new attractions/lands without more demo'ing of current attractions or back stage.

Demo'ing backstage stuff means not only the cost of the demolition, but the cost to relocate whatever services that backstage area was providing. Which is an extra cost of construction elsewhere. So, WDW ain't going to knock down backstage stuff until they have a major attraction/land they want to put in. And even then, overlaying or demo'ing current attractions for new ones is more cost effective.

roj2323

There is no bottleneck. Sunset is plenty wide enough.

It's just a long walkway to two attractions and two shows.
Sunset is definitely a bottle neck but it's primarily because it's a dead end. Most of the time however it's still passable but just prior to fantasmic's line opening and definitely during fantasmic's after show dump the street quickly gets overwhelmed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sunset is definitely a bottle neck but it's primarily because it's a dead end. Most of the time however it's still passable but just prior to fantasmic's line opening and definitely during fantasmic's after show dump the street quickly gets overwhelmed.
For around 30 minutes though. And somewhat alleviated if they dump via the bypass.

Small world is a bottleneck and it shows that even with alternate routes, congestion can't always be solved.

Goofyernmost

Call me crazy (probably already been done several times). but, why isn't the Theater area of DHS considered a hub. No traffic circle but the park does branch off in different directions from there, always felt like a hub to me.
Where is the hub in Epcot? Even in MK you can branch off before the hub and go to the left or to the right. DAK seemed more like an intersection with fingers splaying out in different directions. The ToL and SSE cannot be considered a hub center.

doctornick

Agreed. I'd really like to see a guest path connecting the RNR area with Animation Courtyard. Then you'd have an effective outer ring of paths between lands that would significantly help with guest flow.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Call me crazy (probably already been done several times). but, why isn't the Theater area of DHS considered a hub. No traffic circle but the park does branch off in different directions from there, always felt like a hub to me.
Where is the hub in Epcot? Even in MK you can branch off before the hub and go to the left or to the right. DAK seemed more like an intersection with fingers splaying out in different directions. The ToL and SSE cannot be considered a hub center.

Here's the hub and spoke of MK...

upload_2017-7-9_10-34-49.png

And here's the "hub" and "spoke" of DHS...

upload_2017-7-9_10-28-25.png

DHS isn't very spokey.

roj2323

It isn't considered a hub because the original design of the park was very different from what we have today and crowds were much much smaller in the 80's than they are today. keep in mind that while the Hub and Spoke design is efficient, it does come with its own set of flaws. In particular crowds tend to congregate at the hub making crossing the hub difficult at times. MK's fireworks is a great example of this.

Next Big Thing

The bottleneck could be alleviated other ways if they desired and felt it was necessary. Removing the building and garage would open up some expansion space but then you would have to move all the operations that exist in the building, build new homes for them and demolish the existing structures. All of which would cost large amounts of money. Completely doable but at this point really not necessary. There will be new cast parking but that won't effect the mostly office and salaried cast that park in the garage and work in the former feature animation building.
If you want the park to flow nicely, then yes, it is necessary. Throw up offices and a parking garage across the street and build a walking bridge that leads over to the park and you've solved the biggest part.

Will it cost a lot? Yes. Will it be worth it? Absolutely. A parking garage need not be in the middle of a theme park.

doctornick

If you want the park to flow nicely, then yes, it is necessary. Throw up offices and a parking garage across the street and build a walking bridge that leads over to the park and you've solved the biggest part.

Will it cost a lot? Yes. Will it be worth it? Absolutely. A parking garage need not be in the middle of a theme park.

You could connect RNR to Animation Courtyard while leaving the offices and parking garage intact. I think that is what @peter11435 is indicating. They only have to be removed if you are specifically planning to build on that land and it's not the only theoretical expansion land in DHS.

Goofyernmost

It isn't considered a hub because the original design of the park was very different from what we have today and crowds were much much smaller in the 80's than they are today. keep in mind that while the Hub and Spoke design is efficient, it does come with its own set of flaws. In particular crowds tend to congregate at the hub making crossing the hub difficult at times. MK's fireworks is a great example of this.
I know it isn't the traditional design of a hub, but, it actually achieves the same result. A spot that branches off in numerous directions directing people to other places. In this case the Theater does that just as much as the Castle does. Things are not always identical in design, but, have the same function.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom