Deleted post in thread

yellowrocket

Original Poster
I appreciate the work the mods do... I really do. But, when I question their wisdom inside a thread, I expect a debate, not a deletion. I openly quetioned the "Mom," who is acting more like a supervisory parental figure instead of a moderator of a lively debate, when decreed that no one should argue anymore, Does a member of the message board not have a right to challenge her reasoning? Aren't these boards built for the very opinions she is trying to suppress? Granted, we should never try to target individuals, but shutting down arguments with a wave of a magic wand goes against what message boards stand for.

The Mom

Premium Member
This is a discussion forum, not a debate forum, and certainly not a forum for arguments - although, despite my best efforts they do break out from time to time.

I suggest that you review the terms and rules posted at the bottom of the page.

9. If a moderator or staff member makes a directive in a thread (for example, to stop with a particular topic), you must adhere to these directives. If you discover a directive only after you’ve posted a message that contravenes it, delete your post or it will be taken to be ignoring moderators.

10. If you have a problem with or question about a moderator’s decision, contact the moderator privately or submit a message through the contact system. Posts or topics discussing moderator actions will be removed.

yellowrocket

Original Poster
Please direct me in the T&Cs where it states that the forums are not for arguments and debates.

I realize that you are a moderator and have ultimate parental power over us infantile users, but I was expressing my disdain over your directive to shut down a lively discussion at your mere pleasure - a fact that you have done yet again later on in the same thread mentioned above.

I wonder if you will travel way back in the forums and delete my posts when i broke the story of Flamingo Springs - or The Western Beltway Development as it was called when I wrote of the story originally - since you are only interested in erasing my posts and flexing your mom-powers.

You have proved, once again, that internet forums are for losers - the sole reason I have only *read* WDWMagic for the past decade+ instead of posting.

i take that back... they aren't *all* losers... the ones that contribute news are awesome - Lee. WDW1974, Steve, Marni. The losers are the ones that solely have something to prove... something to compensate for... say... someone who calls themselves "the" Mom... power-hungry much? Why don't you go over to MiceChat?

Now - Ban me. You've been wanting to all day since I questioned your authority the first time.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Here is the problem. Some large threads are extremely difficult to keep on track. Everyone has a say, which is great, but then we often move into periods of going over the same point, again and again, and ultimately that descends into name calling and just flat out arguing.

To keep the forums somewhat pleasant, we often have to remove posts that continue to drive the same arguments.

In the case of the hat thread - which I am guessing you are referring too, we've had hundreds of posts where people have just basically been fighting over whether they like or dislike the hat. I'm not sure if that is what people want to read, but the moderators believe that is probably not the case - so a lot of those posts have been removed over time, and in this case, a request was made to stop.

You have to remember that moderating is a really difficult job - you can just never please all the people all the time. We get many complaints about posts, and we really do try to delete as little as possible. I think WDWMAGIC is one of the most lenient of the Disney boards in regards to what is allowed to flow.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Please direct me in the T&Cs where it states that the forums are not for arguments and debates.

I realize that you are a moderator and have ultimate parental power over us infantile users, but I was expressing my disdain over your directive to shut down a lively discussion at your mere pleasure - a fact that you have done yet again later on in the same thread mentioned above.

I wonder if you will travel way back in the forums and delete my posts when i broke the story of Flamingo Springs - or The Western Beltway Development as it was called when I wrote of the story originally - since you are only interested in erasing my posts and flexing your mom-powers.

You have proved, once again, that internet forums are for losers - the sole reason I have only *read* WDWMagic for the past decade+ instead of posting.

i take that back... they aren't *all* losers... the ones that contribute news are awesome - Lee. WDW1974, Steve, Marni. The losers are the ones that solely have something to prove... something to compensate for... say... someone who calls themselves "the" Mom... power-hungry much? Why don't you go over to MiceChat?

Now - Ban me. You've been wanting to all day since I questioned your authority the first time.
Actually, I think she directed you just where she wanted....

And her screen name is appropriate, seeing how she is one, and the amount of childish b#ll#cks she has to deal with on a regular basis....

Edit: And by the way, telling her to "Get a life" probably is a good way to be banned....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

You may notice that there are very few moderators on this forum. It takes a lot to become one. @The Mom is extremely level headed, and moderates in a very fair way that is best for the community. She does not flex power, and does not wish to ban people just for the heck of it. We have no moderators on this site that behave that way.

Nemo14

Our mods here, especially The Mom, have always handled things in a fair manner - I suggest you take up your issues with her or Steve in a private message because you won't get any sympathy (or argument) from those of us who have had dealings with them in the past.

The Mom

Premium Member

If I had just wanted to ban you, I wouldn't have tried to give you a polite answer as to why your post was deleted.

My screen name was actually given to me by a bunch of forum members way back when. I really don't care what anyone thinks of it.

Again, YOU may have thought it was a lively discussion. Others viewed it differently. ;)

mousehockey37

I believe that any additional attention given to this particular individual through this particular thread is unnecessary, whether it be from admin, mods or regular posters. He has seemingly created a situation to where, by creating this thread, has called out any and all admin/mods to defend their position as such. This is something that need not be addressed in public view, in my honest opinion.

yellowrocket

Original Poster
I apologize for my response here. It was way out of line. I don't normally post to message boards and don't know how to take it when my opinions are erased from existence. I saw an injustice in the BAH thread; and I was trying to right it. I've been exposed to other overzealous moderators on other Disney sites that rule their environments with iron fists. WDWMagic is the gold standard of what is left of free speech in the Disney park community. MiceChat's crackdown on anyone daring to "goodmouth" Disneyland's New Orleans Square renovation or question their insider knowledge made me highly protective of any dissidence left among Disney fans. And, when a mod tried to shut down the ability to debate good vs the bad, I went a little ballistic. I apologize for my response that made it person - that was totally rude and uncalled for - but not for questioning the original decision to shut down the argument. No matter how busy the mods are, or if there was a request to stop. That's one of the reasons people check out that thread every day - to read all the bat-poop crazy nut jobs that try to defend the BAH. In any case, I believe the clock is almost done clicking and the thread will be be completely unraveled.

BuddyThomas

I love The Mom.

In my experience, unless things get downright nasty, she and the other mods are happy to allow free debate in the various threads. I have not seen a locked thread in a very long time and The Mom actually unlocked a thread once when I questioned why it got locked. My one pet peeve is that I wish we could discuss Gay Days, which I am going to in 2 weeks but ya can't have everything. Maybe once all states have marraige equally, which should happen very soon.

I'm very grateful to the hardworking mods on this board.

The Mom

Premium Member
I love The Mom.

In my experience, unless things get downright nasty, she and the other mods are happy to allow free debate in the various threads. I have not seen a locked thread in a very long time and The Mom actually unlocked a thread once when I questioned why it got locked. My one pet peeve is that I wish we could discuss Gay Days, which I am going to in 2 weeks but ya can't have everything. Maybe once all states have marraige equally, which should happen very soon.

I'm very grateful to the hardworking mods on this board.

Unfortunately, many people can't discuss certain topics without being nasty. I have been to WDW during Gay Days many, many times in the past (it fell right after school ended) and have never witnessed anything unusual, except for many more obviously Gay guests. But nothing that made me uncomfortable.

But just like pool hopping, ECV and stroller threads, DAS/GAC threads, and tour groups - people just can't seem to behave. ;)

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
Unfortunately, many people can't discuss certain topics without being nasty. I have been to WDW during Gay Days many, many times in the past (it fell right after school ended) and have never witnessed anything unusual, except for many more obviously Gay guests. But nothing that made me uncomfortable.

But just like pool hopping, ECV and stroller threads, DAS/GAC threads, and tour groups - people just can't seem to behave. ;)
Don't forget anything to do with tipping.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom