Debunking "evil Disney" accusations

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
It's like that saying "don't judge someone until you know them." I totally agree. We can speculate about what he may or may not have been like, but we will never know Walt personally, so who are we to judge? He gave the world a legacy of entertainment, and that is what we all should remember about him.

He put his pants on one leg at a time. He lost his temper, he yelled at his girls, or argued with his wife..........or his brother at many times I am sure. So I would suspect he lived a normal life that way, with flaws. That being said he brought the world an empire that it enjoys to this day. And people that knew him from many different backgrounds speak of him with great respect.

I will leave with this, in light of the accusations against him for who knows what, he assembled the most peaceful, non-violent attraction in history - Small World. If we didn't know any better we'd think Walt was a bit of a hippy. But he wasn't of course, he was just a man who brought joy to people. But a truly angry, bitter man wouldn't have created that sort of ride and embraced it.

Surge38

Wow. I found this thread and was absolutely riveted. And, I thought I would take a stab at addressing some of the complaints I've heard here about Princess and the frog:

1) "The beginning was pretty bad (Tiana and her mother were "servants of a rich white guy)": Ok, maybe there is some subtext I missed here but...They weren't working "for" him. I thought it was fairly clear in that scene the Eudora was "the finest seamstress in New Orleans," and that Mr. La Bouff was her "best CLIENT." It's also pretty clear that every time Charlotte decides she wants a new custom princess dress or something, Mr. Labouff has to open up his wallet and shell out a pretty penny to Eudora...that's a bit of a far cry from the "slave" relationship some people seem to think is happening.

2) The characterization of Tiana as having to hold multiple jobs: It's a proud Disney Princess tradition for the princess to have to work thanklessly (Cinderella? Snow white?) and no one complained that anything was wrong with it then. It's not like they are STARVING, the reason she works so hard isn't because of crippling poverty...it's because she is trying to open a giant fancy restaurant in 1920 New Orleans. That takes a LOT of money. She has big dreams. Hell, her main character flaw is "she works too hard." That's NOT really much of a "FLAW"..that the kind of answer you give at a job interview when they ask you to candidly describe your biggest flaw...it still makes you sound pretty amazing. So I'm puzzled as to how this is a negative...are black people being steroetyped here as "incredibly driven hard working?"

3)"Naveen should have been black!": Uh...why? If I'm understanding this right your upset because..Tiana is in an interracial relationship? Is that the issue? I mean, isn't it kinda more offensive to say that Tiana shouldn't be with someone because he isn't a specific race?

4) "Facilier is a black man who practices voodoo!": Yes..yes he is. And.......? Voodoo is a big part of New Orleans history...and did in fact originate in African countries. The message here wasn't "all black people practice voodoo." It was "most voodoo practitioners in New Orleans in the 1920s were black." And....that's true. See: http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/multicultural/multiculturaltraditions/voodoo.html So, where is the racism here?

5) "She spends most of the movie as a frog!:" Well, yes, it IS "The princess and the frog." Now in the original fairy tale, only the prince is a frog..and if they stayed true to that, the movie would have ended 20 minutes in when she kissed him. As the movie was developed, the creators at Disney decded there was more fun to be had if she became one too. It suited the story they wanted to tell. Should they be making story decisions based on the STORY, or based on how people might (mis)interpret things? The choice was made to tell an engaging story, and I for one would like to think race didn't play into the process at all. Now this WAS addressed earlier in this thread, that brings us to my next point:

6) "Well why did they pick "Frog Princess" for the first black Princess! Why not Rapunzel??: Because Disney tends to base the settings/tone/style of their princess movies on the cultural origins of the source fairy tale. Snow White had some very germanic design throughout. While sleeping beauty was also told by the german "Brothers Grimm", it also had elements from "La Belle au bois dormant "(The Beauty sleeping in the Wood") by Charles Perrault, Which was french/Bretonian. Aladdin is a bit more obvious, and Beauty and the Beast, as well as Cinderella were French, ect. Some Disney Films simply took liberty with the setting based on modern associations, such as Frozen having a "Nordic" flavor (something we associate with snow, ice, ect) As far as I know, there aren't an abundance of African fairy Tales tales out there that are dying for the Disney treatment (if you know of any please let me know) The Frog Prince, on the other hand, while arguable originating in Germany, also had versions popularized in Scotland, Hungary, and even Korea. Without a definitive culture tied to the story, they felt they could experiment a bit, and given Disney's long term fascination with New Orleans, decided it was an interesting enough culture to use...and from there felt a Black heroine would be a good fit. Would you rather a character's ethnicity come from development of the story and setting, or would you rather a bunch of pandering executives sit around and say "We need a black Pincess! Who can we make Black??"

Ultimately my point is...if Tianna was another white princess, no one would have complained about any of these story elements at all. The fact that Disney felt comfortable enough to make their first African american Princess should say something...but instead they got slammed with complaints about every little element. Tell me, how likely is it you think Disney will go out on a limb again anytime soon, with all the negativity they got for trying? Sadly I feel like the public dissection of TPANF has put them off of trying anything that "risky" anytime soon.

And just a note: I'm not saying anyone's reactions to TPANF are WRONG, or unreasonable, but sadly we live in a time when everyone is so race-sensitive that any over analyzing a movie like this is literally bred into the culture. It would be nice if we could just take things at face value and not look as hard as we can for racial overtones, despite what our instincts are telling us.

He put his pants on one leg at a time. He lost his temper, he yelled at his girls, or argued with his wife..........or his brother at many times I am sure. So I would suspect he lived a normal life that way, with flaws. That being said he brought the world an empire that it enjoys to this day. And people that knew him from many different backgrounds speak of him with great respect.

I will leave with this, in light of the accusations against him for who knows what, he assembled the most peaceful, non-violent attraction in history - Small World. If we didn't know any better we'd think Walt was a bit of a hippy. But he wasn't of course, he was just a man who brought joy to people. But a truly angry, bitter man wouldn't have created that sort of ride and embraced it.

Walt was a creative
I always like Floyd Norman's take on things. It is always good to hear a man who met Walt Disney and who worked under Walt Disney. I'll take his word on things over ones that never met him such as Meryl Streep. If Julie Andrews would blast him then that makes a little more sense since she worked under him. But she hasn't. Sometimes in life we like to re-write history and take a person who did so many great things for people and put him under scrutiny. We live in a sick world.

Walt was a creative genius who brought great things to the world, but when it comes to race he was never the most progressive. The fact that in his lifetime African Americans were only allowed to be back stage castmembers at Disneyland, is a lot bigger embarrassment then the Yeti not working.

Doesn't mean he was a terrible person, but he wasn't exactly marching on Washington

ABQ

Maybe it's already been asked in these 10 pages, but will Song of the South ever be available in the US? How many people that have ridden Splash Mountain have ever seen the movie? Zip a dee doo dah. Sad how TWDC is both simultaneously claimed to be racist but afraid to offend by releasing this wonderful film.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Walt was a creative

Walt was a creative genius who brought great things to the world, but when it comes to race he was never the most progressive. The fact that in his lifetime African Americans were only allowed to be back stage castmembers at Disneyland, is a lot bigger embarrassment then the Yeti not working.

Doesn't mean he was a terrible person, but he wasn't exactly marching on Washington

Do you have any sort of link on that? I had never heard that before about Disneyland and black cast members. I know that Floyd Norman mentioned that the reason there weren't many black animators is because they weren't exactly knocking down the door looking for jobs.

FettFan

"Walt was sensitive to people's feelings," composer Robert Sherman told me. "He hated to see people mistreated or discriminated against. One time, Richard and I overheard a discussion between Walt and one of his lawyers. This attorney was a real bad guy, didn't like minorities. He said something about Richard and me, and he called us 'these Jew boys writing these songs.' Well, Walt defended us, and he fired the lawyer. Walt was unbelievably great to us."

Artist Joe Grant, who is also Jewish, agrees. "Walt was not anti-Semitic," Grant told an interviewer. "Some of the most influential people at the studio were Jewish. It's much ado about nothing. I never once had a problem with him in that way. That myth should be laid to rest."

Floyd Norman, an African-American story artist, also rejects the racism accusation. He recalls that, during the 1960s, several civil rights leaders tried to force the Disney studio to hire more minorities. "The funny part," he said, "was that minorities weren't knocking at the gates to get in. The jobs were there if they wanted them and if they were qualified. It's like the old ruse that Walt didn't hire Jews, which was also ridiculous. There were plenty of Jews at Disney. Personally, I never felt any prejudice from Walt."

While the quotations here do not deal with Disneyland specifically, it seems to me that if there was any such prejudice, it was on the hands of Joe Fowler, DL's General Manager from 1955 until 1965, and not Walt Disney himself.

Magenta Panther

NOW you're talking. And, I might add, a truly angry, bitter man wouldn't have kept going to the Sherman Brothers and asked them to play "Feed The Birds" for him. That song, about how a little is all it takes to help a lot, meant a great deal to Walt. That alone speaks to his generous, visionary spirit. 'Nuff said.

Magenta Panther

Wow. I found this thread and was absolutely riveted. And, I thought I would take a stab at addressing some of the complaints I've heard here about Princess and the frog:

1) "The beginning was pretty bad (Tiana and her mother were "servants of a rich white guy)": Ok, maybe there is some subtext I missed here but...They weren't working "for" him. I thought it was fairly clear in that scene the Eudora was "the finest seamstress in New Orleans," and that Mr. La Bouff was her "best CLIENT." It's also pretty clear that every time Charlotte decides she wants a new custom princess dress or something, Mr. Labouff has to open up his wallet and shell out a pretty penny to Eudora...that's a bit of a far cry from the "slave" relationship some people seem to think is happening.

2) The characterization of Tiana as having to hold multiple jobs: It's a proud Disney Princess tradition for the princess to have to work thanklessly (Cinderella? Snow white?) and no one complained that anything was wrong with it then. It's not like they are STARVING, the reason she works so hard isn't because of crippling poverty...it's because she is trying to open a giant fancy restaurant in 1920 New Orleans. That takes a LOT of money. She has big dreams. Hell, her main character flaw is "she works too hard." That's NOT really much of a "FLAW"..that the kind of answer you give at a job interview when they ask you to candidly describe your biggest flaw...it still makes you sound pretty amazing. So I'm puzzled as to how this is a negative...are black people being steroetyped here as "incredibly driven hard working?"

3)"Naveen should have been black!": Uh...why? If I'm understanding this right your upset because..Tiana is in an interracial relationship? Is that the issue? I mean, isn't it kinda more offensive to say that Tiana shouldn't be with someone because he isn't a specific race?

4) "Facilier is a black man who practices voodoo!": Yes..yes he is. And.......? Voodoo is a big part of New Orleans history...and did in fact originate in African countries. The message here wasn't "all black people practice voodoo." It was "most voodoo practitioners in New Orleans in the 1920s were black." And....that's true. See: http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/multicultural/multiculturaltraditions/voodoo.html So, where is the racism here?

5) "She spends most of the movie as a frog!:" Well, yes, it IS "The princess and the frog." Now in the original fairy tale, only the prince is a frog..and if they stayed true to that, the movie would have ended 20 minutes in when she kissed him. As the movie was developed, the creators at Disney decded there was more fun to be had if she became one too. It suited the story they wanted to tell. Should they be making story decisions based on the STORY, or based on how people might (mis)interpret things? The choice was made to tell an engaging story, and I for one would like to think race didn't play into the process at all. Now this WAS addressed earlier in this thread, that brings us to my next point:

6) "Well why did they pick "Frog Princess" for the first black Princess! Why not Rapunzel??: Because Disney tends to base the settings/tone/style of their princess movies on the cultural origins of the source fairy tale. Snow White had some very germanic design throughout. While sleeping beauty was also told by the german "Brothers Grimm", it also had elements from "La Belle au bois dormant "(The Beauty sleeping in the Wood") by Charles Perrault, Which was french/Bretonian. Aladdin is a bit more obvious, and Beauty and the Beast, as well as Cinderella were French, ect. Some Disney Films simply took liberty with the setting based on modern associations, such as Frozen having a "Nordic" flavor (something we associate with snow, ice, ect) As far as I know, there aren't an abundance of African fairy Tales tales out there that are dying for the Disney treatment (if you know of any please let me know) The Frog Prince, on the other hand, while arguable originating in Germany, also had versions popularized in Scotland, Hungary, and even Korea. Without a definitive culture tied to the story, they felt they could experiment a bit, and given Disney's long term fascination with New Orleans, decided it was an interesting enough culture to use...and from there felt a Black heroine would be a good fit. Would you rather a character's ethnicity come from development of the story and setting, or would you rather a bunch of pandering executives sit around and say "We need a black Pincess! Who can we make Black??"

Ultimately my point is...if Tianna was another white princess, no one would have complained about any of these story elements at all. The fact that Disney felt comfortable enough to make their first African american Princess should say something...but instead they got slammed with complaints about every little element. Tell me, how likely is it you think Disney will go out on a limb again anytime soon, with all the negativity they got for trying? Sadly I feel like the public dissection of TPANF has put them off of trying anything that "risky" anytime soon.

And just a note: I'm not saying anyone's reactions to TPANF are WRONG, or unreasonable, but sadly we live in a time when everyone is so race-sensitive that any over analyzing a movie like this is literally bred into the culture. It would be nice if we could just take things at face value and not look as hard as we can for racial overtones, despite what our instincts are telling us.

Very well written. *Applause*!

But I must say this...Tiana was wonderful UNTIL she turned into a frog. That robbed her of too much personality and spirit. She suddenly became a stick in the mud as she fought with Naveen and that stupid alligator to try to become human again. Sometimes...sometimes I wonder if the movie would have worked much better had it focused on Tiana and Ray the Firefly, as a sort of Rafastarian Jiminy Cricket. Perhaps he could have taught her about the need for romance in a happy life, and led her, eventually, to the frog prince... ah well. Guess we'll never know. And BTW, "Almost There" is one of my very favorite Disney songs.

FettFan

1. Nothing wrong with "Maddy". It's short for Madeleine, a proper French-Creole name.

2. So what if she's a maid? If you're going to play the "subjugated but happy servant" card, you could very well apply it to Lumiere, Cogsworth and Mrs. Potts, who were all practically slaves. Maddy the maid would at least be drawing a salary from her situation!

3. Had they gone that route, it would have added a bit of character development in the film. Her story arc would become the anti-Lawrence. Both come from the same background but while Lawrence is jaded and resentful and willing to take a voodoo shortcut, Madeleine maintains optimism that she can pull herself up by the bootstraps, and in the end it pays off. It's like Cinderella, if Cindy were not chronically unemployed and waiting for a royal ball.

Matt_Black

3. Had they gone that route, it would have added a bit of character development in the film. Her story arc would become the anti-Lawrence. Both come from the same background but while Lawrence is jaded and resentful and willing to take a voodoo shortcut, Madeleine maintains optimism that she can pull herself up by the bootstraps, and in the end it pays off. It's like Cinderella, if Cindy were not chronically unemployed and waiting for a royal ball.

That's a very good point; I'd never thought about the similarities between Lawrence and Tiana before.

As far as Tiana becoming a "stick in the mud" when she becomes a frog, look at who she's with. Naveen is going to make ANYONE look like that. It's similar to DC Comics- Hal Jordan (Green Lantern) is known as the free-wheeling, devil-may-care pilot, UNTIL he's with Oliver Queen (Green Arrow), the one person who makes Hal look responsible and boring.

Do you have any sort of link on that? I had never heard that before about Disneyland and black cast members. I know that Floyd Norman mentioned that the reason there weren't many black animators is because they weren't exactly knocking down the door looking for jobs.

It was mentioned in Sam Gennawey's "The Disneyland Story" (which is a good read) It was also mentioned in Sam Gabler's biography of Walt that there were no African American employees at least when Disneyland opened in 55.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
It was mentioned in Sam Gennawey's "The Disneyland Story" (which is a good read) It was also mentioned in Sam Gabler's biography of Walt that there were no African American employees at least when Disneyland opened in 55.

Were there ones that applied though? Serious question. This is 1955 in Orange County. How many blacks would be living there? How many would even think to work at a theme park?

Were there ones that applied though? Serious question. This is 1955 in Orange County. How many blacks would be living there? How many would even think to work at a theme park?

That might be, but when they did hire African American's they were only allowed to work backstage jobs. Again it was along time ago and Walt was a man of his times, I just don't think there's a need to make him a saint

Megalodumb

I just don't think there's a need to make him a saint
I get what you're saying, but despite your good effort, there is really no use in shedding a spark of truth to a Pixie Duster. To them, Walt can never do wrong, and that is exactly what they will believe despite what other facts reveal. Though I personally find it a bit on the amusing side watching Pixie Dusters salivate with anger whenever some undignified truth is revealed about Walt (everyone has demons to deal with...even Disney). But I find it best to not argue, and just let them have their belief in the flawless messiah who started it all.

draybook

As a minority I must say one thing; WHO CARES!!???

Seriously, Walt was racist and bigoted towards certain groups of people when it was standard to be such. There's still racism today. Who gives a flip?

Surge38

I get what you're saying, but despite your good effort, there is really no use in shedding a spark of truth to a Pixie Duster. To them, Walt can never do wrong, and that is exactly what they will believe despite what other facts reveal. Though I personally find it a bit on the amusing side watching Pixie Dusters salivate with anger whenever some undignified truth is revealed about Walt (everyone has demons to deal with...even Disney). But I find it best to not argue, and just let them have their belief in the flawless messiah who started it all.

Hmmm.

1) Label a group of people you don't agree with/like.
2) Lump them all together, and assign your own perceived motivations to the group, rather than to the individuals
3) Use step "2" to to invalidate anything any member of that group says, without the pesky need to acknowledge/counter any facts that might support their argument.

Where have we heard THAT before?

Clearly, we are dealing with moral authority on how to treat groups of people...;)

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
That might be, but when they did hire African American's they were only allowed to work backstage jobs. Again it was along time ago and Walt was a man of his times, I just don't think there's a need to make him a saint

I don't think anyone on here makes him a saint. I think the Disney company tends to do it. He was not. As I said, he put his pants on one leg at a time. What people want to write about a man nearly 50 years after his death is fine. He created magic and of all the people who dealt with him there is bound to be some who have unkind things to say about him. All types of prejudice exist back then and today. Not a whole lot has changed to be honest, it is just more underground now. I never met the man, all I know are things that people who knew him well talk about. That matters more me than anything Meryl Streep would say.

FettFan

We're not saying that Walt Disney ate sunshine and pooped rainbows, but when you have folks like Meryl Streep and Abigail Disney trotting out half-truths and whole-lies in order to pointlessly smear a man they never personally knew, and who has been dead for nearly fifty years, despite the fact that there are folks still around who worked with him and knew him intimately enough to call them out on it, it just makes them look like total attention-whoring buttholes.

Maybe Walt Disney is "racist" by our 21st Century mindset...but when you look back at race relations in the early twentieth century (public lynchings, anti-miscegenation laws, WWII Japanese internment), yeah he practically was a saint.

To Meryl Streep, I say:
"Hey, idiot. Racism still exists today. You want to fight it? GOOD! But that requires you GETTING OFF YOUR and doing something WORTHWHILE about it! Launching ad-hominem attacks at a guy who died in 1966 DOESN'T DO JACK!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom