Debating on Renting at OKW or staying at a Moderate? My Experience...

md0u80a2

I have never done a value or mod on site, but lots of off site 'stuff'. I have done GF and OKW twice and would say that OKW worked for us with a hire car - drive straight to the door, shopping, stuff, etc and never a wait for buses etc - with one exception - magic kingdom. That is worth the bus to avoid TTC.

But without a car, I can see all your point as relevant and would not advise it as you get all the disadvantages of not being at a monorail / boat resort without the cheap price.

For the food, my intepretation would be that the kitchen is filling the quick service gap - and that actually worked well for us as the kids are picky and limited and eventhough we had dinning plan, it took the edge off and meant food was fun. And that is one of the factors - when booking, a moderate comes with a QS Dining plan, which I think is very poor value. But a deluxe, including villas, comes with the one table service. Just considering the character buffets and what they would have cost, this makes the calculation different. OKW was available and a great deal for this, so we did it.

For our trip next year, we have found for the same as OKW we can get Beach club standard room with dining so will be trying that....

andrelaplume

Original Poster
I have never done a value or mod on site, but lots of off site 'stuff'. I have done GF and OKW twice and would say that OKW worked for us with a hire car - drive straight to the door, shopping, stuff, etc and never a wait for buses etc - with one exception - magic kingdom. That is worth the bus to avoid TTC.

But without a car, I can see all your point as relevant and would not advise it as you get all the disadvantages of not being at a monorail / boat resort without the cheap price.

For the food, my intepretation would be that the kitchen is filling the quick service gap - and that actually worked well for us as the kids are picky and limited and eventhough we had dinning plan, it took the edge off and meant food was fun. And that is one of the factors - when booking, a moderate comes with a QS Dining plan, which I think is very poor value. But a deluxe, including villas, comes with the one table service. Just considering the character buffets and what they would have cost, this makes the calculation different. OKW was available and a great deal for this, so we did it.

For our trip next year, we have found for the same as OKW we can get Beach club standard room with dining so will be trying that....

I believe the mods come with the meal plan that offers a ts meal and a cs meal. Recall...I was in an OKW studio...no real kitchen. To be honest....we spent less on food than what we would have paid for the least expensive meal plan....the one u get at the value resorts....I am glad I did not purchase it. Still it would have been a bargain had it stayed at the mods...paid 25 percent more for the room and got it for Free....my price for OKW just happened to value resorts pricing.,

worldfanatic

I'm in the minority here based on how few others I see using them, but having a balcony is absolutely critical to my WDW vacation.
No matter the view, I spend a ton of time out there drinking coffee in the morning, beer in the afternoons/evenings, just being content in my little corner of Walt Disney World.
Therefore, Deluxe Rooms & DVC Villas are really the only option for me anymore.
However I still love visiting places like POR for a few beers at River Roost followed by a stroll in the dark through Alligator Bayou.

BuddyThomas

Agreed with everything you said! We stayed at OKW for the first time last January. We normally stay at POR. OKW is definitely charming and relaxed, but it's absolutely not what we're used to at POR. The kitchenette in the room was nice to have, and the balcony overlooking the golf course was great. But we found it weird to be walking along the road with cars and buses driving around. We were also very close to the highway and could hear trucks from inside our room. We also knew going in that the food options would be limited, and we definitely missed the POR mill almost every day we were there.

We're going back to POR this coming Feb/March and can't wait.
Oh no. This isn't making me feel too confident about our upcoming stay at OKW in November. :(

worldfanatic

Oh no. This isn't making me feel too confident about our upcoming stay at OKW in November. :(

Buddy.....no worries.
I just got back from a completely amazing stay at OKW. The counter service option (which we never used) is weak, but Olivia's & Disney Springs are close and fantastic.
Disney buses and boats moving about certainly don't bother me.
And the entire Resort is lush & beautiful.
You'll love it.

IMG_20160901_085330307.jpg

(my balcony view - South Point Area)

21stamps

I'm in the minority here based on how few others I see using them, but having a balcony is absolutely critical to my WDW vacation.
No matter the view, I spend a ton of time out there drinking coffee in the morning, beer in the afternoons/evenings, just being content in my little corner of Walt Disney World.
Therefore, Deluxe Rooms & DVC Villas are really the only option for me anymore.
However I still love visiting places like POR for a few beers at River Roost followed by a stroll in the dark through Alligator Bayou.
Agree!

BuddyThomas

Buddy.....no worries.
I just got back from a completely amazing stay at OKW. The counter service option (which we never used) is weak, but Olivia's & Disney Springs are close and fantastic.
You'll love it.

View attachment 163885
Looks awesome! Thanks for the reassurance, and the great pic!

officialtom

Buddy.....no worries.
You'll love it.

View attachment 163885
Agreed! I didn't mean to put OKW down, it's just very different from our "ideal" resort life at POR. I'd stay there again, but I'd just make sure to request a room closer to the main building and away from the highway.

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
We are going down for a long weekend in March - 3/2 through 3/6. Normally we love to stay at Port Orleans Riverside. The price for 4 nights there was $1073 for a Garden View. I was able to rent at Animal Kingdom Lodge - studio - standard view for $986.

A deluxe for less than a moderate? yes please!!

I paid for a garden view at POR and was treated to half garden/half parking lot. I'd go for AK too!

PrincessMia

For those of you renting points, from where are you renting? I guess I'd need recommendations on non-friends/family who would rent to the general public.

andrelaplume

Original Poster
For those of you renting points, from where are you renting? I guess I'd need recommendations on non-friends/family who would rent to the general public.

We lucked out .,.. my wife knew people who gave us a great deal...I think there is a 'dave's' website that is suppose to be good....try googling it or looking on wdw info guide...all ears.net...

ThwompChomp

I rented points from Dave's for our December trip to OKW. It was pretty painless, the worst part is just waiting for them to find a match with your requested resort and dates, and hoping something comes through.

Yelloweaver

I used DVC Rental Store to rent mine. There was no fee to search and see what was available. When I selected one I wanted, it was a $100 deposit to 'hold' it while the owner booked it for you. Once booked, you have to only pay part of the reservation with the balance due 45 days before travel.

I just paid it all so I didn't have to worry about remembering to pay the balance later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom