Debating Dates for 2017/2018 Trip (Advice Appreciated!)

largemarge

Hello fellow forum-ers! As you all know, the Disney trip itch is a serious thing. My husband and I have gone twice within the last year and I am already trying to jump start planning of our next trip. Some people think we're crazy for spending so much money on these trips (including my husband at times), but nothing compares to the magic of a WDW vacation. Our last trip was Halloween weekend for F&W fest and we attended MNSSHP on Halloween night. Our trip before that was in January of 2016, which ended up just being one day in the parks because we had to go to Winter Park for a wedding while we were in town.

So the next question is -- when to go next?? I have narrowed it down to a few options and would love and input from those who have experience with these weekends or seasons! These are not in any specific order of what I'm leaning towards....

1. Weekend of Columbus day (early October). It would be a Saturday-Tuesday trip. Hopefully we could get there early enough on Saturday to be at the parks by 12 or 1 (or just do MNSSHP if they have one that night) and then leave on Tuesday morning. If we did this weekend, we would also try to do MNSSHP again and just use that as our MK visit. We loved F&W Fest so that's definitely a perk. Not so sure how the crowds would be since it's a holiday weekend. And assuming it will still be rather hot.

2. First weekend of December. Also a Saturday-Tuesday trip. I have never been at Christmas, and we would probably try to attend MVMCP if they have one that Saturday night. We would have to take more time off since it's not a holiday weekend, but have heard good things about this weekend crowd and weather-wise.

3. MLK weekend is our last option. The new Arts Festival at Epcot looks really cool, which seems to be a perk of going this weekend. But again, not sure what the crowds would be like with it being a holiday weekend. When we went in January last year the weather couldn't be beat. However, we did end up riding Splash Mountain after dark and getting soaked -- which is why I am now the proud owner of an awesome (and rather expensive, but necessary) SM sweatshirt.

We are debating on staying at Port Orleans French Quarter. We have never done this one, and always tend to go the non-Disney resort option. We love the DoubleTree at Disney Springs, and it is $100 less a night than P.O., with lots of room to spread out. However, we can't decide if the convenience of the resort would be worth the extra cost and less space.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and for any advice or input! :D

Chaset24

I would do option one.. I love going to Disney World when the Halloween decorations are up and MNSSHP.. I love Halloween though, so that might just be me. Also, if you have never done Port Orleans French quarter, I would say go for it.. There is just something magical about staying on property.. The extra room would be nice though... We chose Port Orleans Riverside, because we love the concept and the boat that goes back and forth to Disney Springs (Especially, since they have revitalized Disney Springs)

PS.. Tell them Large Marge sent ya!

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

2. First weekend of December. Also a Saturday-Tuesday trip. I have never been at Christmas, and we would probably try to attend MVMCP if they have one that Saturday night. We would have to take more time off since it's not a holiday weekend, but have heard good things about this weekend crowd and weather-wise.
If memory serves, it is rare for a MVMCP to be held on a Saturday, it is more likely for a Friday or a Sunday and Monday.

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Columbus day weekend has been traditionally a high crowds time period, so if thats something of concern be forewarned. MVMCP IMHO isnt comparable to MNSSHP. Sundays are the typical party nights as DisneyJoe stated, not Saturday.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I would pick first weekend of December. We love early December. I also love October but would avoid Columbus Day weekend it can be very busy. And MNSSHP/MVMCP's usually are never held on a Saturday in the past unless it was Halloween night. Usually the parties are on Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, or Fridays. ;)

Upvote 0

largemarge

Original Poster
So the final consensus ended up being the second weekend of December (due to my husband's busy work schedule at the very beginning of the month)! I booked our flights this morning and can officially start the countdown! Has anyone been during this specific time? We will be arriving Saturday afternoon (12/9) and doing the parks that Sunday and Monday. Looking at POFQ for lodging!

Upvote 0

TDGMedley

I went that time in 2015. We had a great time. Love it at Christmas time so pretty and lots of stuff to see. And did MVMCP but it rain on us, so that part was not fun.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom