DCL character performer question

buttercup14

Original Poster
Quick question, Does anyone know, to be a character performer for DCL, do you have to be able to dance?(I have movement ability and can do basic dance moves/ can animate well but nothing technical in terms of dance)

The cruise lines really want characters to have dance ability because that way they can use the same cast members for character roles and for ensemble dancer roles since they can't have as many cast members as the parks do. They need you to be as versatile as possible.
I was a character at WDW and had dance training and was in a very desirable height range and my dancing still held me back at DCL auditions. It's much harder than being hired in the parks.

Sorry, that sounded discouraging, I wanted to add that I think if you're coordinated and can pick up routines and combinations you're perfectly capable of learning to dance.
Take a class, I would recommend beginners ballet and then something like jazz or hip hop. Even taking a Zumba class helps you get better at learning routines.
If none of those are options look for YouTube videos on dance technique.

buttercup14

Original Poster
@progroupie Thanks! That's really helpful- I'd been trying to get more info on what they look for and had been having trouble finding any- they're auditioning in my city soon and the call said be prepaid for a movement and animation exercise, which sounded like something i could do but then i heard they more look for dancers, i've been to face character auditions and i can usually pick up the combinations, but i heard yesterday that the DCL audition combinations can be very technical. Do you think it's worth going along and trying? I hate the feeling of being at an audition when it turns out it's beyond your skill level!

The first combination they taught was fairly easy, they just made a great deal of cuts after. So I don't think you would feel out of your element or overwhelmed exactly but there's a chance you wouldn't be pulled even if you did what seemed like an okay job. I'm guessing the routine after the cuts was the more technical one. It's always worth going in my opinion!

buttercup14

Original Poster
Thanks- that's my attitude also with auditions, but i always second guess myself! Totally prepared to be cut first round! Thanks for your help :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom