[DCA] Soarin' Around the World Opens on June 17

Phroobar

If memory serves me right I recall that when DCA opened the online response to Soarin wasn't as glowing as what I'm reading in this thread. No surprise then that my magic mirror is telling me that when Soarin Over Mars debuts, or whatever the next film may be, the online fan community will say its inferior to Soarin Over the World and wish for it to return.
I guess it would be better than Soarin Over Uranus.

Family board...Bad phruby! Bad!:hilarious:

George Lucas on a Bench

I was unaware the original Soarin' received a lukewarm response when it opened? I thought it was generally agreed that it was one of the strongest aspects of DCA. And it's certainly been mega-popular and beloved at lowercase Epcot since it opened there. Even I have always defended it, regardless of any issues I had with it, which this version doesn't address AKA the giant bluescreen with no attempt to create any kind of illusion that it's anything but a film and the weird queue line setup in a vaguely, I suppose, militaristic setting that doesn't feel connected to the experience. It's even weirder now that you're just all over the planet. Huh? Eh, whatever. I've always maintained that hiring the late Jerry Goldsmith to compose the score was the single best decision they made with DCA.

Phroobar

Just got off Soaring around the world. Sign said 40 minutes. It look 27 instead. It's the same safety video but Patrick mouths the words "over California" in silence. The movie looks great and the waterfall sequence really shakes the building. Lots of bass. The music has the same feel as the original. The animals and ever person is cg. The people on the Great Wall seem to float. The Disneyland scene is nice that they included the monorail. I can see the Buzz Light year sign. Fireworks are bigger and Tink looked better in the other movie. People seem to get in line in packs. Sometimes it gets crowed then other times no one gets in line.

morningstar

Imagine a wind-through-your-hair flight above The Great Wall of China, a bird’s-eye view of the Sydney Harbor in Australia, gliding around the Matterhorn in Switzerland …

These are among more than a dozen breathtaking ways you’ll be able to experience the wonders of the world when Soarin’ Around the World makes its groundbreaking debut across the globe this summer. The next generation of the popular Soarin’ attraction makes its premiere at the grand opening of Shanghai Disneyland this summer as Soarin’ Over the Horizon.

The next day on June 17, guests at Disney California Adventure park at the Disneyland Resort andEpcot at Walt Disney World Resort will be able to board the exhilarating aerial adventure that immerses you in a multi-sensory experience, complete with stunning sights, spectacular sounds and even subtle scents. Fastpass+ will be an option for Soarin’ beginning Thursday, April 21.

I wonder if that is the actual soundtrack or filler music. It will take a while to get used to no more Goldsmith score

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...rld-takes-flight-at-disney-parks-this-summer/

I have a question. Is there ever a right way to time your trip so you don't miss stuff? I was too early for the Frozen live show by mere days and for this by about a month. No matter when you go to the parks, it seems like something new is about to open up. I guess that's not a bad thing.

D

Deleted member 107043

I was unaware the original Soarin' received a lukewarm response when it opened?

Not a lukewarm response, but there were definitely some complaints from the online critics. Here are some that I recall:
  • Seats to the far left and right had poor/distorted views
  • Dangling feet obstructing the screen
  • Boring unthemed queue
  • Jarring transitions between scenes
Yes the experience was well received by the general public, and maybe I'm wrong, but many in the online community didn't initially proclaim it the big headlining attraction that it turned out to be.

Stevek

Not a lukewarm response, but there were definitely some complaints from the online critics. Here are some that I recall:
  • Seats to the far left and right had poor/distorted views
  • Dangling feet obstructing the screen
  • Boring unthemed queue
  • Jarring transitions between scenes
Yes the experience was well received by the general public, and maybe I'm wrong, but many in the online community didn't initially proclaim it the big headlining attraction that it turned out to be.

Does that surprise you? I mean, it's not like many in the online community can be considered rational when it comes to evaluating anything new.

D

Deleted member 107043

Does that surprise you?

No, not at all.

What does surprise me though is how quickly the initial passion and mania blows over. I've been following Disney parks long enough to see a lot of fuss made over things by fans that either the general public doesn't care about or everyone forgets the minute the next big Disney park controversy hits the internet. This is why I made the prediction that despite whatever shortcomings it may have, Soarin Over the World will likely end up being beloved by the public as much or more than the previous film.

Phroobar

Over the World is ok. It just feels fake compared to Over California. I swear that Taj Mahal looked completely CG. I don't think they would ever let a helicopter get that close to the building. It looked like a picture and not three dimensional. What smell was that in that scene?

rle4lunch

I was unaware the original Soarin' received a lukewarm response when it opened? I thought it was generally agreed that it was one of the strongest aspects of DCA. And it's certainly been mega-popular and beloved at lowercase Epcot since it opened there. Even I have always defended it, regardless of any issues I had with it, which this version doesn't address AKA the giant bluescreen with no attempt to create any kind of illusion that it's anything but a film and the weird queue line setup in a vaguely, I suppose, militaristic setting that doesn't feel connected to the experience. It's even weirder now that you're just all over the planet. Huh? Eh, whatever. I've always maintained that hiring the late Jerry Goldsmith to compose the score was the single best decision they made with DCA.

The overall history of aviation can be associated with the military benchmarks that helped shape the entire aviation community, so it's easy to see why they went with that theme. There were civilian aviation pioneers mixed into the montage as well, but I agree there was a heavy military aviation theme, and rightly so.

GiveMeTheMusic

Over the World is ok. It just feels fake compared to Over California. I swear that Taj Mahal looked completely CG. I don't think they would ever let a helicopter get that close to the building. It looked like a picture and not three dimensional. What smell was that in that scene?

Jasmine.

From what I understand, most of the new Soarin' was filmed with drones. Easier than helicopters and they can get closer.

George Lucas on a Bench

Why not do a new film with California sights? Why the whole world? How about Soarin' Over California: The Adventures Continue with random scenes to make it different every time? It could be unique to DCA like how the different parks/resorts used to have unique versions of attractions. I just feel like we got gypped with this Chinese film and it makes absolutely no sense given the attraction's history with the park and the theme of that land.

Figments Friend

Too expensive to produce two different films...or three....so each Park that currently has a 'Soarin' Attraction can showcase a different montage.
The 'old Disney' might have ponied up the cash to do that, but not 'today's Disney'.
Making one film 'to fit them all' makes it a lot more cost effective.

Personally, I agree that it would be terrific to have a new film specifically for DCA focusing on California.
'Over the World' fits more appropriately at Epcot if given a choice between the two.

-

dweezil78

I'm looking forward to checking it out. Soarin' had definitely become a "must-do" to a "ehh, I grabbed a FP cause ToT was down and I could use some a/c for a few" for me over the past few years. The new HD upgrade had breathed a little new life into it, but not much. I always felt cheated if I got anything but center seat in the middle section, so that won't be anything new to me haha.

For as much as people love to hate on the idea of Disney theming a park around California, they sure love to complain about Soarin' no longer being specific to Calfornia! I suspect one of the rationales for the Condor Flats re-theme to California national parks was to at least keep some aspect of the state on the outside, giving them a little more flexibility on the inside.

mickEblu

Rode Soarin Around the World for the first time yesterday. Already miss Soarin Over California.

The CG animals didn't bother me as much as the fact that 1/2 of the locations themselves looked CG. I didn't feel like I was really there like I did with all of the locations in Soarin over California. The transitions become a little gimmicky and repetitive. Somehow the random cuts worked better IMO. The score is ok but not as good as the original.

A few standouts are the Eiffel Tower scene and SPOILER below .........,,.......

The dip in the Great Wall scene. Anyway, overall it didn't have the heart that the original had.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom