Daredevil Netflix Series

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
From Entertainment Weekly -

The ‘devil will eventually get his iconic red costume, but first he’ll wear the black duds seen here, inspired by Frank Miller’s graphic novel Daredevil: Man Without Fear.

Daredevil.jpg

Forget Ben Affleck. Netflix’s Daredevil is “the exact opposite” of Affleck’s much-maligned 2003 bomb, promises showrunner Steven S. DeKnight. Expect the classic origin story to remain unchanged: Blinded as a child, Matt Murdock (Charlie ) is a lawyer by day who hunts criminals by night. But this upcoming iteration of Daredevil is more influenced by 1970s mean-street films like The French Connection and Taxi Driver than traditional superhero titles.

“There aren’t going to be people flying through the sky; there are no magic hammers,” says Marvel TV chief Jeph Loeb. “We’ve always approached this as a crime drama first, superhero show second.” There’s also more grown-up content here. “It’s a little grittier and edgier than Marvel has gone before,” says DeKnight, best known for the ultra-hardcore Starz series Spartacus, who adds, “but we’re not looking to push it to extreme violence or gratuitous nudity.”

daredevil-02_612x897.jpg

More in article - http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/19/daredevil-photos/

Mickey81

Watched episode 1 last night, about to start 2. Fantastic show!! So happy, a lot of faithfulness to the comic and Frank Miller's stuff. Charlie is fantastic in this role!!

NMBC1993

The show is good. But this is not the marvel show for kids and their families. All in all wayyyy to dark of a tone that contrasts HEAAVILY with the rest of the expanded MCU.

AND THANK GALACTUS IT DOES!!!!! Finally, us Marvel fans who have been begging for something that doesn't feel like a TV sitcom with superheroes have something to enjoy.

doctornick

The show is good. But this is not the marvel show for kids and their families. All in all wayyyy to dark of a tone that contrasts HEAAVILY with the rest of the expanded MCU.

Which of course is appropriate for Daredevil and the medium (Netflix). I certainly would expect Jessica Jones and Luke Cage to continue that trend. I think it is great that Marvel is not applying a "one size fits all" type of setup for the MCU. Different movies/shows have different vibes, the movies all fit different kinds of genres, etc.

Hopefully that is something that DC picks rather than have all of their movies follow the same Nolan "gritty" tone. There's just not way that The Flash (for example) shouldn't be light-hearted and fun.

Matt_Black

Which of course is appropriate for Daredevil and the medium (Netflix). I certainly would expect Jessica Jones and Luke Cage to continue that trend. I think it is great that Marvel is not applying a "one size fits all" type of setup for the MCU. Different movies/shows have different vibes, the movies all fit different kinds of genres, etc.

Hopefully that is something that DC picks rather than have all of their movies follow the same Nolan "gritty" tone. There's just not way that The Flash (for example) shouldn't be light-hearted and fun.

Like wise the upcoming Supergirl series. DC should take a look at their animated series. Teen Titans and it's sequel Teen Titans GO! are amazingly popular, and Batman: Brave & The Bold got a lot of acclaim. Of course, some knucklehead will go with the "Oh, but those were for KIDS" line, ignoring the fact that since it's release on DVD and reruns being shown on IFC, the Adam West Batman series has seen renewed interest in the campy, genius take on the Caped Crusader, so much so that they're apparently developing an direct-to-DVD animated feature starring West and Burt Ward.

TB4244

Wow, its dark - dark and gritty, just like DD should be. 'The man without fear' has arrived in grand style. I've been really looking forward to this series, especially as old Horn Head is my favourite Marvel character and I've not been disappointed, not one bit. Its exceeded my expectations in every way. It hasn't sat well with Mrs TB4244, as in her words 'Its not fluffy enough',I guess she was expecting something along the lines of Agents of Shield, but to me its compelling viewing. I'm 5 episodes in and I'm eager to watch the rest. As @Sped2424 said, this ain't for kids as the level of violence is high, so beware.

If DD has set the benchmark for quality we can expect from a Netflix Marvel series then I personally cannot wait for AKA Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Defenders...yay!

ParentsOf4

With the kids out with friends this weekend, DW and I managed to watch the first 8 episodes over 3 nights. She's hooked with the character development but finds the show stressful. Most of the fight scenes are difficult to watch.

Many have used the word "gritty"; to me it's grim.

Matt_Black

With the kids out with friends this weekend, DW and I managed to watch the first 8 episodes over 3 nights. She's hooked with the character development but finds the show stressful. Most of the fight scenes are difficult to watch.

Many have used the word "gritty"; to me it's grim.

To be fair, with the exception of Mark Waid's and possibly Kevin Smith's run, most Daredevil stories from the past 30 years have been gritty.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Just started watching - Love the reference to the "Incident" or you know fire falling out of the sky and destroying Hell's Kitchen.

Launchpad McQuack

I'm ten episodes in, and I'm loving it. I'm really looking forward to the rest. As a lifelong comic book geek and huge Marvel fan, this has exceeded my expectations in every way.

That hallway fight scene in episode 2 was awesome. It was as close to "The Raid"-quality as I have ever seen from a "television show" (I know it's not technically a regular TV show, but you get what I mean).

Frankie The Beer

Totally impressed so far. Being based on Frank Miller's work is fantastic as he was the only writer who gave the character life and every writer since has been trying to ape his style. Just not a fan on how the Kingpin is being portrayed, in the comic he was always 100 steps ahead of everyone else and in the series so far I have seen Wesley, who was nothing more than an errand boy in the comic have far too much importance in the show. Also I have to wonder how Daredevil in the comic can stand toe to toe in a fight against Captain America be a little to wimpy for my taste in the series.

tribbleorlfl

I binge watched the whole season last weekend as I've always liked DD. I generally enjoyed it and thought it was a good first stab at a mature entry into the MCU. Charlie did a fine job as MM/DD (though I'm one of the few who actually liked Affleck and the original film) and D'Onofrio's Kingpin was brilliant.

That being said, I did have several problems with it and unfortunately, for me, the season just didn't live up to either the quality in other MCU properties or my expectations.
  • The tone was completely off from other MCU properties. I know DD has long been one of the edgier Marvel characters and when you're dealing with the criminal underworld, it's going to be dark. However, the violence and gore was over the top (and unnecessary) and the banter between Karen and Foggy (meant to be the comedic element) came off as forced and very flat.
  • MM's legal exploits have always been a major component of the comic and it's the dichotomy of lawyer by day/vigilante by night that always was the most interesting aspect of his character. In the show, M&N had 3 clients and only 2 of them were in court. I think the show quality majorly suffered when they dumped the unique mix of legal drama, crime procedural and superhero action after the first couple episodes.
  • Also missing about halfway through: Claire/Night Nurse. Disappointing, as I like Dawson as an actress and I thought her character was a better moral foil for DD than the Karen/Foggy/Ben trio.
  • Did I mention I didn't like Foggy or Karen in this? They were far more saddened by the death of a minor throwaway character than that of another that should have had more of an impact.
  • The episode with Stick didn't fit and seemed only there to tease the other upcoming shows (primarily Iron Fist).
  • The screenwriting was pretty lazy at times. If I hear the phrases "man in the mask," "this city" or "my city" again, it will be too soon.
  • Finally, the suit. While I don't mind the general aesthetics or concept of the suit being a more armored version of the comic look, it was far too bulky and inflexible to be practical. I mean, it looked like couldn't even turn his head as he moved his whole body to look in another direction. It was established Potter made Kingpin's suits out of that flexible, lightweight bullet-proof material, so why couldnmater's suit be a little more form fitting? The original film pulled it off better w/ the modified motorcycle jacket look.
I'm hoping in subsequent seasons and the upcoming shows they can address some of these issues. If not, I'll just stick to the MCU films.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Daredevil officially renewed for Season 2 - http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/21/daredevil-renewed-season-2

Showrunner Steven S. DeKnight (Spartacus) is stepping down from the series. Instead, writers Doug Petrie (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and Marco Ramirez (Sons of Anarchy)—who worked closely with DeKnight and creator Drew Goddard in the first season—will both serve as the showrunners for season two.

The next edition of Daredevil will debut in 2016.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom