D23 hotels

Kramerica

Original Poster
Hey there!

I'm planning on attending D23 this year, all three days. Stoked!

So being from Portland, nearly 1000 miles away, I'm not all that familiar with the layout of Anaheim, and by "not all that", I mean "Not at all". I would like to stay a good balance between the parks and the convention, hoping to go to both on foot each day (not sure if such a thing is even possible) Where is a feasible place to stay? I'd love to stay on property, but Disney is charging extortionate prices for their rooms those dates, so off property would be good. I love Park Vue Inn. Is this doable?

Really I'm just an out of towner looker for directions. Please help.

Antaundra

Book whatever is available as fast as possible. Hotels for D23 have been selling out for months already, at this point I would find any hotel in your price range and book it. Hopefully you can find one that offers free cancelation and you can look for a more ideal hotel after you have a safety hotel booked. Good luck

Californian Elitist

You should stay somewhere on Katella, like the Anabella. If you stay on Harbor, you can easily bus it to the Anaheim Convention Center, which is located on Katella. It doesn't take long for Harbor and Katella to meet, so either way you'll be fine.

TP2000

I agree that you should be looking at the hotels on Katella to be in the middle of the D23 and Disneyland action. Disneyland is fairly walkable from most Katella hotels; the distance from the Hyatt House to Disneyland is roughly the same flat walking distance from Pioneer Courthouse Square to Powell's Bookstore in Portland. The walk from the Hyatt House to the Anaheim Convention Center is roughly the same distance as Pioneer Courthouse Square to the Willamette River in Portland.

Shuttle buses also serve the area motels and Disneyland, but by the time you wait 20 minutes for the shuttle to arrive you could already be there.

There are several nice new corporate hotels on Katella to look at; Hyatt House, Springhill Suites, Residence Inn, Hotel Indigo. Plus some other good chain hotels adjacent to those new properties; a Red Lion, Portofino, etc. Anabella is also good, but a tad longer walk to Disneyland.

But stay away from the small motels on Katella, those are mostly dingy and depressing. And book as soon as you can, D23 Expo will fill up Anaheim very quickly this winter.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If your plan is to do the Expo and parks every day, it really doesn't matter as much where you stay other than being between them, you'll be walking the distance from the Expo to the parks and back daily anyway.

The two times I've been to Expo, I was way too tired to hit both parks and Expo in a day. So I stayed at the BW Anaheim Inn on Harbor and went to the parks from there and moved to the Hilton at the Convention Center for the Expo and then moved back to the BW to finish our stay.

Being at the Hilton made accessing the Expo really easy, walk across a courtyard and you're there.

Kramerica

Original Poster
So I was on a time crunch and booked a room on my lunch break today. I called the first off site hotel I could think of, Park Vue Inn. I've stayed here before and like the place.

If my Google Maps skills serve me well, it looks like I just have to walk south on Harbor the distance of California Adventure park, and then across the street to the Expo. Am I correct?

Californian Elitist

So I was on a time crunch and booked a room on my lunch break today. I called the first off site hotel I could think of, Park Vue Inn. I've stayed here before and like the place.

If my Google Maps skills serve me well, it looks like I just have to walk south on Harbor the distance of California Adventure park, and then across the street to the Expo. Am I correct?

Yeah, just make a left when you come out of the hotel and walk to Katella. Make a right and cross the street to the Anaheim Convention Center.

Darkbeer1

The walk is about a mile from the Lobby of the Park Vue Inn to the Main Entrance for the D23 Expo. Here is a Marked Map, directions are to walk down Harbor (South) and cross at Convention Way/Toy Story Parking Entrance. Head west to the Convention Center through the Grand Plaza outdoor area.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7010059

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Well, it is weird, many D23 folks have an AP, so they will go to the park, based on the D23 schedule, so you might find the morning light, and then get slammed later in the day, or the morning is busy, and then when a main event is happening at D23, they leave and the park gets slower. But you are still visiting during peak Summer Season, so the parks will be busy no matter what. I think the few days before and after the Expo will be busier, as the D23 folks will plan a full day or two as part of coming to D23 for the Expo.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

I attended the Expo last year, and found the Parks to be very busy in the evenings...exspecially Disneyland.
The Convention folks tend to stay away during the day to attend the event, but after the Expo closes for the day at 7pm...look out!

As Darkbeer said however, July is peak Summer season so it will be nutty busy no matter what time of day you are there.

-

Curious Constance

But since many lower level APs are blocked in the summer, it tends to even things out a bit. Seems like Disneyland is now just always really busy, no matter what time of the year. Whether it be from APs in the off seasons, or tourists in the busy seasons. It's always busy, but I've always found summer to be totally manageable if you get to the park at opening, take a midday break back at the hotel, then come back in the evening. You can really knock out a lot of things early in the morning. Five minutes for Splash Mountain? Yes, please! That's when me and my kids like to do all the things my husband would never dream of getting on. Then when my husband comes in the evening, we focus on the things we like to do together which typically have shorter lines. (POTC, Small World, Fantasyland, etc). Works out great for us.

EPCOTCenterLover

And with SWL coming, Disneyland will only get busier. The suits better rethink:
1- Fast Pass
2- Adding more to DCA quickly
3- Adding another E ticket to a different side of the park to balance out crowds.

Figments Friend

I've been looking over hotel options for my upcoming Expo adventure lately as well, and it looks like my usual 'hole in the wall' motel that is a favorite place to stay is completely booked up.

Guess I need to stop recommending this hotel elsewhere.....as the word is apparently out and folks now know it's a swell spot.
Oh well....

Pickings are slim for anyone looking for budget accommodations.

Airfares are insane right now as well from where I am ( BOS ) trying to fly into SNA.
$480, $500+ for a round trip flight that typically costs me about $280 / $300+
Yikes.

Time for a 'Plan B', methinks.....
Hello, Long Beach!

:)

-

Last edited:

PacNWTigger

I've been looking over hotel options for my upcoming Expo adventure lately as well, and it looks like my usual 'hole in the wall' motel that is a favorite place to stay is completely booked up.

Guess I need to stop recommending this hotel elsewhere.....as the word is apparently out and folks now know it's a swell spot.
Oh well....

Pickings are slim for anyone looking for budget accommodations.

Airfares are insane right now as well from where I am ( BOS ) trying to fly into SNA.
$480, $500+ for a round trip flight that typically costs me about $280 / $300+
Yikes.

Time for a 'Plan B', methinks.....
Hello, Long Beach!

-
LAX really isn't THAT bad to fly in to. The Super Shuttle runs very regularly, and we've never had any trouble. It's just a bigger airport that is still undergoing construction (I think) which makes it more unappealing.

If you're looking for a different hotel The Annabella is one of our favorites, but we have also stayed at the hotel that is on the back side of Tiffy's. I can't remember the name of it, but I'll message you if my brain sorts it out. Both are within reasonable walking distance of the convention center.

Darkbeer1

LAX really isn't THAT bad to fly in to. The Super Shuttle runs very regularly, and we've never had any trouble. It's just a bigger airport that is still undergoing construction (I think) which makes it more unappealing.

If you're looking for a different hotel The Annabella is one of our favorites, but we have also stayed at the hotel that is on the back side of Tiffy's. I can't remember the name of it, but I'll message you if my brain sorts it out. Both are within reasonable walking distance of the convention center.

I will disagree with LAX, it is doable (not normally hell on eart) but can be bad at at times, especially the traffic getting to and from there, for example, the roads near LAX flood out, and some are still closed (thing the roadways that go under the runways), long lines for TSA, especially Terminal 1 (Southwest) in the Mornings. and a large mass of humanity, thankfully I do have the airport version of FastPass (TSA Pre-Check, frequent flyer special check in, etc.). In the news this weekend for having some of the slowest WiFi speeds in the nation's airports. Very limited food options outside of the security area. But as a local, it is my LAST choice for flights, and try and use other airports.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-lax-problems-20161229-story.html

My personal preferences in local airports.

LOVE Long Beach (LGB) - Old School and small (no Jetways), but a new TSA building and two small terminal buildings.

So what makes it great is also its worse issue, small and limited, 50 flights per day. So if your needs meet the available options, this is a no brainer. Best TSA experience I have had ever! Building being built for TSA instead of retro-fitted makes a big difference. The two terminals are in line to each other, the planes just pull up in line near the door, and if needed, the old fashioned stairs and ramps are attached to allow you access from the runway. Decent food options, luggage claim is outdoors, and if needed Rental car offices and pickup are just across the street from the terminal, no shuttle needed. Simple and easy to get to the airport, when leaving the airport,just go straight at the main exit/traffic light (and there is only one) and head east on Wardlow Road, once you leave LA County and enter Orange County, it turns into Ball Road, after about 13 miles, Disneyland will be on the right side. Yes, that easy, and since I personally live just north of Ball, a even shorter trip to me (Basically draw a line between Knott's and Disneyland, and you will find my house in the middle section).

Worth the walk in the arrival building, (Historic) and check the info posted on the walls upstairs. Stop in and have a drink at the bar and enjoy the great views. Located outside the secure area, so open to anyone, and a nice place to wait for someone to arrive.

Like John Wayne (Aka, Orange County/Santa Ana/SNA), a medium sized airport, though numbered a bit strangely, it is basically one big rectangular box with 2 levels. Planes board on the West Side using jetways and has about 30 gates. Check in is on the East Side. With expansion, it now has an official Customs set of gates and full processing. Main drawback, limited operating hours (good for me when I lived In Tustin right under the main arrival flight-way) so early mornings before the first flight can take off is very busy and TSA was retro-fitted so tough to deal with the wait queues to be processed.

Benefits - More flight options than LAX (more airlines and destinations using non-stop and direct flights), Rental cars are next to the luggage claim check (part of the parking structure) no shuttle is needed. There was only one taxi/Tranist location, though they opened a secondary one near the Customs exit. The Customs area basically only opens up if a flight (usually Mexico) arrives and needs to process the flight.so no long backups.

Fairly easy access, next to the 405 freeway, and the carpool lane for the 55 and 5 makes it an easier drive to Disneyland (just use the Disney way special carpool exit in most cases), just slightly longer than the LGB drive.

Next would be Ontario (ONT) and Bob Hope (BUR), but too far away unless they have something that can keep me out of LAX and not offered at LGB or SNA.

As for the other Motel, it is the Eden Roc next to the Anabella, a little too old and Motel like for my liking.

Have you found a Hotel/Motel yet?

Figments Friend

Thanks PacNWTigger for the suggestions.

I try to avoid LAX like the plague primarily because of the mixed arrival and departure experiences I have had in the past.
It's a concrete jungle of confusion and chaos..even late at night.
Another turn off is that it reminds me too much of the airport I fly out of here at home, Boston Logan ( otherwise known as the 'third world prison built by communists', right @TP2000 ? ).
;)

I prefer a much nicer arrival experience....and starting your vacation by stepping off the plane on the tarmac like a Beatle ( LGB ) or arriving to a nearly empty airport all to yourself ( SNA ) is downright awesome.
Unless I'm desperate or the fare differences are major, I try to avoid LAX.

The Anabella is nice...I have walked by it many times.
Nice grounds and a attractive looking layout.
I have yet to have stayed and probably won't be able to since it's closing at some point last I heard.

The rates there keep me away...I just cannot bring myself to pay over $160+ a night for a room that I am literally just sleeping and showering in.
A lot of my travel expenses are eaten up by the coast to coast airfare, so I have to 'stay on the cheap'.
I tend to book places I can get a deal at through offers I am sent, or book at a couple of my favorite motels on W. Katella that are in a location that works really well for me.

I'm still interested in your suggestions however...so do feel free to send them!

-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

I will disagree with LAX, it is doable (not normally hell on eart) but can be bad at at times, especially the traffic getting to and from there, for example, the roads near LAX flood out, and some are still closed (thing the roadways that go under the runways), long lines for TSA, especially Terminal 1 (Southwest) in the Mornings. and a large mass of humanity, thankfully I do have the airport version of FastPass (TSA Pre-Check, frequent flyer special check in, etc.). In the news this weekend for having some of the slowest WiFi speeds in the nation's airports. Very limited food options outside of the security area. But as a local, it is my LAST choice for flights, and try and use other airports.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-lax-problems-20161229-story.html

My personal preferences in local airports.

LOVE Long Beach (LGB) - Old School and small (no Jetways), but a new TSA building and two small terminal buildings.

So what makes it great is also its worse issue, small and limited, 50 flights per day. So if your needs meet the available options, this is a no brainer. Best TSA experience I have had ever! Building being built for TSA instead of retro-fitted makes a big difference. The two terminals are in line to each other, the planes just pull up in line near the door, and if needed, the old fashioned stairs and ramps are attached to allow you access from the runway. Decent food options, luggage claim is outdoors, and if needed Rental car offices and pickup are just across the street from the terminal, no shuttle needed. Simple and easy to get to the airport, when leaving the airport,just go straight at the main exit/traffic light (and there is only one) and head east on Wardlow Road, once you leave LA County and enter Orange County, it turns into Ball Road, after about 13 miles, Disneyland will be on the right side. Yes, that easy, and since I personally live just north of Ball, a even shorter trip to me (Basically draw a line between Knott's and Disneyland, and you will find my house in the middle section).

Worth the walk in the arrival building, (Historic) and check the info posted on the walls upstairs. Stop in and have a drink at the bar and enjoy the great views. Located outside the secure area, so open to anyone, and a nice place to wait for someone to arrive.

Like John Wayne (Aka, Orange County/Santa Ana/SNA), a medium sized airport, though numbered a bit strangely, it is basically one big rectangular box with 2 levels. Planes board on the West Side using jetways and has about 30 gates. Check in is on the East Side. With expansion, it now has an official Customs set of gates and full processing. Main drawback, limited operating hours (good for me when I lived In Tustin right under the main arrival flight-way) so early mornings before the first flight can take off is very busy and TSA was retro-fitted so tough to deal with the wait queues to be processed.

Benefits - More flight options than LAX (more airlines and destinations using non-stop and direct flights), Rental cars are next to the luggage claim check (part of the parking structure) no shuttle is needed. There was only one taxi/Tranist location, though they opened a secondary one near the Customs exit. The Customs area basically only opens up if a flight (usually Mexico) arrives and needs to process the flight.so no long backups.

Fairly easy access, next to the 405 freeway, and the carpool lane for the 55 and 5 makes it an easier drive to Disneyland (just use the Disney way special carpool exit in most cases), just slightly longer than the LGB drive.

Next would be Ontario (ONT) and Bob Hope (BUR), but too far away unless they have something that can keep me out of LAX and not offered at LGB or SNA.

As for the other Motel, it is the Eden Roc next to the Anabella, a little too old and Motel like for my liking.

Have you found a Hotel/Motel yet?

Thanks for the write up, Darkbeer.
I love Long Beach and SNA, and try to use one or the other when I come out West.
They are places you want to hang around in and spend some time.....unlike LAX...!

I'm mulling over a couple of options for hotel / motel / 'apartment'.
Might book another stay at the local Stay America as they send me some good % off deals all the time.
Stayed at the one over on Clementine St. for $79 / $89 a night one visit and it suited my needs well.
Unlike most hotels, the rate gets cheaper the longer you stay.
With a discount code that can really be a nice deal.

The downside is I cannot book with any of the discount offers I get until a couple of months before I arrive, by which time they too may be full up and have no rooms availible.
Thus looking at other options in the meantime....I will find something.
It's just a matter of looking at the right time

-

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Low price and basic, here are a few I like in the area, some are within Walking Distance of both, some you might need to use a Shuttle.

Quality Inn on Manchester. I happen to be a Choice Privileges Platinum Member, and I like the fast that it is easy to earn rewards with bonus offers, and that you can usually get a $50 gift card for typical places such as buying Gas for only a couple of nights stay during a promo period. Breakfast is good, Waffle Maker, and a daily meat (usually sausages) and eggs (usually scrambled) offered hot, along with many other items. Small Fridge and Microwave in the room. Older Property on the future Demo list. Stayed there recently when we needed to leave the House for a night due to construction issues. Near HoJo's

http://www.anaheimqualityinn.com/

The Motel 6 on Disney Way is good,but no free meal

Super 8 on Katella next to Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. at AGW is good and basic, breakfast is a not as nice as the Quality Inn..
Hotel Indigo is good if they have a sale price.

The Extended Stay is good for what it is, and you know what to expect.

That is a start of some Hotels/Motels in the area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom