News D23 Expo 2017

Mike S

Pixar Pier looks ... I really don't have the words. It's lame to me they're going to slap up some billboards featuring Pixar characters but I guess it's no better than billboards featuring the Fab Five and other characters. But they should have released more details about it. It's hard to decipher if they're going to re-do all the rides with overlays if all the pier is going to get a bit of a cosmetic update like what they showed in the concept art ... I guess they want to make up for probably losing Bugs/Monsters but still ... it's clear they realized they didn't have a place so they saw the Pier as the option to go with. It's almost like they realized they had next to nothing to announce for Disneyland so they threw that out there and talked about parades, which all could have been done in a blog post. And it seems silly for "Pixar Fest" (I know the idea is to spread it to both parks but let's be real, Pixar is in DCA) to feature fireworks and Pixar Play Parade at Disneyland. Unfortunately now the Disneylander's know how WDWer's felt for years getting lackluster announcements.
Except the fab five aren't plastered on everything, just a few rides.

Kman101

Except the fab five aren't plastered on everything, just a few rides.

Well I know but it's still sort of the same thing IMHO. They're just switching from them to Pixar. But they fit better naturally. Screamin' sounds like it will become Incredibles, Mickey's Fun Wheel becomes Pixar Fun Wheel ... what happens to Goofy and Jumpin' Jellyfish? I guess Jellyfish could become Green Army Men Parachute Drop ... LOL

Mike S

Well I know but it's still sort of the same thing IMHO. They're just switching from them to Pixar. But they fit better naturally. Screamin' sounds like it will become Incredibles, Mickey's Fun Wheel becomes Pixar Fun Wheel ... what happens to Goofy and Jumpin' Jellyfish? I guess Jellyfish could become Green Army Men Parachute Drop ... LOL
Soon the park will change again to "Disney Marvelous Pixar Adventure Park."

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

Pixar Pier looks ... I really don't have the words. It's lame to me they're going to slap up some billboards featuring Pixar characters but I guess it's no better than billboards featuring the Fab Five and other characters. But they should have released more details about it. It's hard to decipher if they're going to re-do all the rides with overlays if all the pier is going to get a bit of a cosmetic update like what they showed in the concept art ... I guess they want to make up for probably losing Bugs/Monsters but still ... it's clear they realized they didn't have a place so they saw the Pier as the option to go with. It's almost like they realized they had next to nothing to announce for Disneyland so they threw that out there and talked about parades, which all could have been done in a blog post. And it seems silly for "Pixar Fest" (I know the idea is to spread it to both parks but let's be real, Pixar is in DCA) to feature fireworks and Pixar Play Parade at Disneyland. Unfortunately now the Disneylander's know how WDWer's felt for years getting lackluster announcements.
There's nothing to complain about. They also announced two new Marvel rides. Disneyland is only 2 parks after all while WDW is 4.

doctornick

There's nothing to complain about. They also announced two new Marvel rides. Disneyland is only 2 parks after all while WDW is 4.

They announced two Marvel rides without any details. Most of the DLR announcements were just shuffling deck chairs -- parades moving across the esplanade, new fireworks show for DL, changing the theme for Paradise Pier, etc. DLR definitely got the short end of the stick at D23, though we might find out more details of the Marvel rides this weekend at Comic-Con, right?

PizzaPlanet

Don't forget about Little Mermaid aka: Nemo's Undersea Adventure!

Bairstow

Don't forget about Little Mermaid aka: Nemo's Undersea Adventure!

Would they really spend the money to re-theme that? The mermaid attraction sits in a kind of crossroads between three lands, so it's never really felt like an integral part of Paradise Pier, though it's not been a bad fit. It's architecture certainly doesn't match up.

brb1006

Well, it looks like D23 is doing a really nice thing on the final weekend. On Saturday, August 12, they are hosting a special event for both D23 members and the official TCM Backlot Fan Club: a pre-opening "attraction experience with special guests, a delicious breakfast at the Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant, and a one-of-a-kind gift for attendees!" And to top it all off, it is COMPLIMENTARY for both fan club members.

Details here: https://d23.com/d23-event/celebrate-great-movie-ride/

How cool is that?

I know that I have a lot to criticize Disney for, especially regarding the missed opportunity with choosing to replace rather than upgrade this ride; but I have to give them this one.

I will likely be there for that weekend, so I will likely try to get a ticket. (The reservations open August 1 at 10 a.m. PACIFIC Standard Time, which is 1 p.m. Florida time.)

And I was even a little cynical when I read about it, wondering what the price would be? $250 $150

No, they actually are making this completely free to fan club members. It is at 7:15 in the morning, before the park opens, and they are NOT requiring park admission (unless you choose to stay after the event).

I wonder if TCM is really opening the floodgates for this? Or if they felt like they just needed to do something for the fans. Not sure, but I have to say this is a nice gesture.

(I almost chose not to post it here because I don't want it to "sell" out before I can get a ticket -- but I knew I was wrong not to share it here. I would have wanted you all to let me know, so I am doing the same.)

Gatorboy

I'm not saying Pixar isn't a decent chunk of Disney at this point. Or that the movies aren't great. I love a lot of them. In fact I am happy Ratatouille is getting a ride because that's one of my favs and the property is otherwise not being represented in the parks. But Disney at the same time continues to segregate them themselves. Toy Story Land, Pixar Pier, Carsland...not a single one of Disney Animation's properties get this kind of treatment. And that's a bit weird to me. The closest thing is the Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid "areas" that were part of the Fantasyland Expansion. But those don't really compare with entire themed lands.

Why are the Pixar properties so special to get 3 whole lands across the parks dedicated to them? That just seems odd to me.

Additionally, I feel like there are a large amount of attractions for Toy Story and Nemo specifically across the parks. While many popular Disney properties like Aladdin, BatB, Mulan, Hercules, Hunchback, Rescuers, Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, and others either have no attractions or just barely one...and certainly no D and E ticket style rides like the Pixar properties are getting.

This is where the "overload" comes from for me. Spread the love around, not just in Pixar's direction. And not just primarily at 3-4 properties from Pixar too.
Forgot A Bugsland

Kev1982

Very well said.
I feel exactly the same.
Where is this big Disney Legacy?
Lion king,aladdin,little mermaid,beauty and the Beast,the whole golden 90's???
There biggest movie Frozen (apart of the overlay that is very well done I think,but with a very old ride system), surely has to get represented in Magic Kingdom???
I m talking about real attractions,not shows or meet and greets.
Am I the only one that thinks Tangled could have such a nice dark ride? Or what about a cool Tarzan roller coaster? To me all missed opportunities...
Also how cool things could be done with the villains,unbelievable characters like Cruella,Malificent,Hades,.... Where are they (if not looked at shows like Fantasmic)?
And then indeed all the Pixar and Star Wars are everywhere... It's really sad...
Just as well Marvel cant be everywhere in Florida or there would be no more great Disney animation films things around.

wiscbugs

DLR really got the short end of the stick at D23 this year. DCA also seems to be turning into John Lasseter's personal playground + some Marvel stuff.

Well John Lasseter seems to know his stuff so I won't complain if he wants to turn DCA into his own playground. It will be enough to bring me to Disneyland next summer instead of Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom