Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

FullSailDan

And I also don't understand how they could've possibly thought MM+ would make it so they could avoid building new attractions. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard lol

There is a little bit of backwards logic going on here. It isn't so much that they felt MM+ would eliminate the need to build new things, it's that it would slow the need to build new things. The parks have always had a problem where big new shiny attractions get huge lines and older attractions see almost walk-on waits. Many of these attractions will NEVER garner huge crowds again unless they are stripped out turned into something else. This is a problem on two fronts:

1. Crowding over the long term was becoming a concern.They needed to be able to control crowds and prevent safety concerns.
2. There isn't enough budget/resources/manpower to overhaul the parks in a meaningful way fast enough to respond to the crowding.

The thinking was that MM+ would allow the parks to dynamically shift park crowding around by issuing fast passes and posting more accurate wait times for less crowded attractions. This means instead of more people queuing up for a longer line at space, people would be enticed to go ride the jungle cruise or haunted mansion.

Funnily enough... IT WORKED! Sorta... It's not perfect, but many of those less visited attractions ARE getting utilized more. There were also lots of other benefits. People spend less time in the lines and more time in shops and dining, are more likely to spend dollars with their magic band, and they can track consumer trends more easily.

AEfx

As someone who's cleaned restrooms in the past (and my daughter has recently on her jobs and confirms my findings):
- Men's room: generally an easy wipe down and a mopping and you're done
- Women's room: Almost always crazy nasty. Think "caveman paintings" on the walls.

I was at a previous work place, and there was an issue with the men's room and since only two of us were in the building (which usually housed a few hundred) I was like "I'm going to the ladies room, then" to my female co-worker.

When I came back I was stunned - "you guys need signs to tell you what to do and not to do in there?"

One of the many times I've been, well, relieved - to be a boy, LOL.

GrammieBee

The problem with women's restrooms is based on several factors.
First; There are more people visiting the parks and using the restrooms than ever before, which leads to a higher percentage of those who are slobs.
Second; Women have to sit down to do their "business". Which means they should actually sit on the toilet seat.
Third; We have become so brainwashed from commercials about "germs" and "bacteria" that probably at least half of the women are afraid to sit on the toilet seat because someone else's bare bottom was on it. Plus they have no knowledge that a stronger immunine system comes from a normal amount of exposre to germs.
Fourth; This means that many of the women will just sort of hover over the toilet and let fly. I call them of the squat and spray persuation. Obviously this leaves a mess for the next person who really doesnt want to sit on the toilet seat. For good reason. It's bad enough if it is just urine.
Fifth; I have heard women tell their children not to ever sit on the toilet seat. Some have even told their child to stand on the toilet seat to go to the bathroom.
Sixth; Unfortunately, these practices not only leave a mess on the toilet seat, but also on the floor. The whole stall becomes a cascading disaster..
And finally; You do need more staff to police and clean the stalls. Ideally, each stall should be checked after each use. That would require a bare minimum of one attendant always in each bathroom. Even without staff cuts, I doubt that will ever happen. And frankly, I wouldn't want the job.
Fortunately, the restrooms in the hotels are very clean 99% of the time..

ToTBellHop

I stepped in the companion restroom near Figment yesterday. The one for assisting people in wheelchairs and young kids. Not only was the sink clogged with vomit (which I understand might have happened 5 minutes prior) but NO TOILET PAPER. When was it last cleaned? Two days ago?

Earlier in the day, at Kingdom Krossing (the Rapunzel restrooms) there was no hand soap. Every dispenser was empty.

Hand towel dispensers were frequently out. Or breaking. Soap dispensers twisted up and not fixed. Toilet seats and urinals covered with urine, hair, and apparently in the women's room, blood. A real pleasure with potty training 3-year olds.

It's unhygienic and unsafe.

The cleanest restroom the whole week was at MCO. That says something, no?

GrammieBee

I stepped in the companion restroom near Figment yesterday. The one for assisting people in wheelchairs and young kids. Not only was the sink clogged with vomit (which I understand might have happened 5 minutes prior) but NO TOILET PAPER. When was it last cleaned? Two days ago?

Earlier in the day, at Kingdom Krossing (the Rapunzel restrooms) there was no hand soap. Every dispenser was empty.

Hand towel dispensers were frequently out. Or breaking. Soap dispensers twisted up and not fixed. Toilet seats and urinals covered with urine, hair, and apparently in the women's room, blood. A real pleasure with potty training 3-year olds.

It's unhygienic and unsafe.

The cleanest restroom the whole week was at MCO. That says something, no?

There is absolutely no excuse for conditions like those described. I don't care how short they are on staff. Lots of people use lots of toilet paper, towels and soap so those supplies should be checked at least every half hour depending on the crowd level. It is difficult to keep up with dirty stalls, but it is possible. Clean individual stalls a s needed or post the times the whole restroom will be closed, repair dispensers as quickly as possible, replace supplies and mop out the whole thing twice a day. The conditions described are those I would expect in a grossly underfunded state park or roadside rest. Certainly not at the Disney parks.

The more messy and dirtier something is, people care less and it will keep getting worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom