CSR or POR?

JohnD

Original Poster
I currently have a reservation at ASMovies for 11/29-12/3 and am thinking about upgrading to a moderate.

I'm looking at passholder late fall rates. POFQ, which I have stayed before, has the highest rates so I have eliminated them. CBR, CSR, and POR have the same rates. CBR has the most depots so I eliminated that one too.

That leaves CSR and POR. I've stayed at CSR and like it. Never been to POR. Which one?

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
This question always comes up and Its almost always "should I stay at _____________ or PORS?". There is a reason: PORS is the gold standard for moderate resorts. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:

Buzz2001

My family loves CSR! Besides having a great main pool area, CSR offers a few deluxe amenities at a mod price. They are home to the largest hot tub and one of the longest pool slides on Disney property. The pool, slide, arcade and playground area are all located at the main pool.

The rooms have queen beds, a sliding wooden door separating the sink area from the room (can be good for little ones napping in a pack n play) but only one sink. A CSR rehab will begin in January 2015 to freshen up the rooms.

CSR also offers business class level rooms with access to the Coconino lounge. Other amenities include a fitness center, spa, free wi-fi, tanning beds, a sauna, salon, full menu room service and a night/dance club.

They offer the same toiletries as the deluxes (except GF). CSR has separate shampoo and conditioner instead of the shampoo/conditioner combo at the other mods and values (a small thing, I know, but it means I don't have to pack shampoo and conditioner).

Bus service is terrific and is not shared with another resort.

JohnD

Original Poster
My family loves CSR! Besides having a great main pool area, CSR offers a few deluxe amenities at a mod price. They are home to the largest hot tub and one of the longest pool slides on Disney property. The pool, slide, arcade and playground area are all located at the main pool.

The rooms have queen beds, a sliding wooden door separating the sink area from the room (can be good for little ones napping in a pack n play) but only one sink. A CSR rehab will begin in January 2015 to freshen up the rooms.

CSR also offers business class level rooms with access to the Coconino lounge. Other amenities include a fitness center, spa, free wi-fi, tanning beds, a sauna, salon, full menu room service and a night/dance club.

They offer the same toiletries as the deluxes (except GF). CSR has separate shampoo and conditioner instead of the shampoo/conditioner combo at the other mods and values (a small thing, I know, but it means I don't have to pack shampoo and conditioner).

Bus service is terrific and is not shared with another resort.

Hmm, methinks you're biased based on your profile pic and website, but in a good way.;)

JohnD

Original Poster
I agree with Buzz. I loved CSR. But I've already stayed there. Regardless, why shouldn't I upgrade to POR? Or conversely, why should I stay there? I've never been there.

MCParradox

I cannot recommend POR enough! Though I've never been to CSR, having stayed at POR twice already (3 times by next summer :D), and having visited a lot of resorts just to look round, I can honestly say Riverside competes with deluxes such as Wilderness Lodge and the Poly. Of course, there's a reason why they're deluxes and Riverside isn't (monorail link, posh stuff etc...), but in terms of theming, Riverside is right up there, and the services they offer there are great. It has easily the best food court I've seen, plus the boat link to DTD, which is a great experience even if you don't plan on spending much time in DTD anyway.

JohnD

Original Poster
I cannot recommend POR enough! Though I've never been to CSR, having stayed at POR twice already (3 times by next summer :D), and having visited a lot of resorts just to look round, I can honestly say Riverside competes with deluxes such as Wilderness Lodge and the Poly. Of course, there's a reason why they're deluxes and Riverside isn't (monorail link, posh stuff etc...), but in terms of theming, Riverside is right up there, and the services they offer there are great. It has easily the best food court I've seen, plus the boat link to DTD, which is a great experience even if you don't plan on spending much time in DTD anyway.

For a quick trip 11/29 - 12/3, is it worth the upgrade? From approx $90/night at ASMovies to $140/night on AP rate?

JohnD

Original Poster
To what I'm sure is to Buzz's dismay, I opted for POR.

Next question: What online check-in options should I request? I was looking at Building 85 which is across from the East Depot. Isn't that the last depot served at POR before heading to the parks? But I see that buildings 14 and 15 are near the main bus station. Of course, then it would go to the depots next.

What do you all think?

Regarding bus choice, remember that if your bus stop is the last before it heads to the parks, it means on the return trip home (when you are tired, and the bus could be very full) you will be the last one home. So it cuts both ways.

As for advice, as others have said it is premium in theme but the amenities are still moderate. In particular their baggage department is often swamped, so it may be easier to just carry them yourself.

JohnD

Original Poster
Thanks. I would do that anyway because of how spread out it is. On checkout day, I plan on luggage services picking up my luggage and storing it so I can go to a lunch ADR at Beaches and Cream.

Thanks. I would do that anyway because of how spread out it is. On checkout day, I plan on luggage services picking up my luggage and storing it so I can go to a lunch ADR at Beaches and Cream.

That will be fine, just call well in advance so someone will be there to pick it up when you want to. Wait times vary hugely. It could be a 15 minute wait, it could be 60!

MCParradox

To what I'm sure is to Buzz's dismay, I opted for POR.

Next question: What online check-in options should I request? I was looking at Building 85 which is across from the East Depot. Isn't that the last depot served at POR before heading to the parks? But I see that buildings 14 and 15 are near the main bus station. Of course, then it would go to the depots next.

What do you all think?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're at the last bus stop before the parks, early in the morning, a lot of buses will drive right past you, having filled up at the main depot... (I'm not sure if that's actually how it works, but I imagine it is). Other than that factor, buildings 14, 15 and 85 all look to be about the same distance from the lobby (and to be fair, if you have breakfast in the foodcourt, then you'd probably use the main depot to get to the parks anyway), so the only deciding factor I can see is whether you want to stay in Alligator Bayou (14, 15) or Magnolia Bend (85), which is a matter of personal taste.

Alligator Bayou:

Port-Orleans-Riverside-Resort-Walt-Disney-World-036.jpg

disney-s-port-orleans.jpg

Magnolia Bend:

port-orleans-riverside.jpg

Disney-Port-Orleans-Riverside-Standard-Room.jpg

JohnD

Original Poster
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're at the last bus stop before the parks, early in the morning, a lot of buses will drive right past you, having filled up at the main depot... (I'm not sure if that's actually how it works, but I imagine it is). Other than that factor, buildings 14, 15 and 85 all look to be about the same distance from the lobby (and to be fair, if you have breakfast in the foodcourt, then you'd probably use the main depot to get to the parks anyway), so the only deciding factor I can see is whether you want to stay in Alligator Bayou (14, 15) or Magnolia Bend (85), which is a matter of personal taste.

Alligator Bayou:

Port-Orleans-Riverside-Resort-Walt-Disney-World-036.jpg

disney-s-port-orleans.jpg

Magnolia Bend:

port-orleans-riverside.jpg

Disney-Port-Orleans-Riverside-Standard-Room.jpg

Hmm. My tastes lean more to Alligator Bayou. I might call in and request 14 or 15, if possible. Online check-in, though, only gives me four options: corner room, 1st floor, second floor, and highest floor. That's it. I chose "corner" and "highest".

MCParradox

Hmm. My tastes lean more to Alligator Bayou. I might call in and request 14 or 15, if possible. Online check-in, though, only gives me four options: corner room, 1st floor, second floor, and highest floor. That's it. I chose "corner" and "highest".

You made the right choice! (Alligator Bayou is the best! :p) And corner rooms are the best room type as well; they have two windows, so they feel even more open and airy. Hope you enjoy your stay! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom