Cruise or WDW with Little Kids?

Tom P.

Original Poster
Hey folks,

I wasn't sure which forum to put this in... Hope this one is ok...

We are already planning our big family vacation for next year. We are debating between a return trip to Disney World, which we've done before, or a Disney Cruise, which we've never done.

If we go, we'd either be taking the cruise in the fall or visiting Disney World right after Thanksgiving, when all of the Christmas events are in full swing.

Here's the thing: we have a large family and all the kids are young. At the time we'd be doing this, the ages will be 8, 6, 5, 3, and 1.

At the time we'd go, one -- and perhaps two, depending on the pace of potty training -- will still be in diapers, which rules out the pools for them on the cruise. And so that's one factor we've been considering in terms of "things to do" on the cruise. We're also not much of a "drop them off someplace and go off and do adult stuff" type family. We prefer to do things that the entire family can participate in together.

So what do you think? With kids that age, which is going to be the better choice, the most enjoyable for them, and give them the most to do... Disney World at Christmas or a Disney Cruise?

Thanks,
Tom

NYwdwfan

Hey folks,

We are already planning our big family vacation for next year. We are debating between a return trip to Disney World, which we've done before, or a Disney Cruise, which we've never done.

If we go, we'd either be taking the cruise in the fall or visiting Disney World right after Thanksgiving, when all of the Christmas events are in full swing.

Here's the thing: we have a large family and all the kids are young. At the time we'd be doing this, the ages will be 8, 6, 5, 3, and 1.

At the time we'd go, one -- and perhaps two, depending on the pace of potty training -- will still be in diapers, which rules out the pools for them on the cruise. And so that's one factor we've been considering in terms of "things to do" on the cruise. We're also not much of a "drop them off someplace and go off and do adult stuff" type family. We prefer to do things that the entire family can participate in together.

So what do you think? With kids that age, which is going to be the better choice, the most enjoyable for them, and give them the most to do... Disney World at Christmas or a Disney Cruise?

Thanks,
Tom

Think about it from a kid's perspective - would you rather go on rides all day or stare out at the ocean? Now don't get me wrong - I love cruises. But for kids that young, I think the theme parks would be a much more enjoyable experience.

atrus79

Hey folks,

Thanks,
Tom

Hi @Tom P. ... welcome! Being the parent to a young child myself (DS is almost 2), I had the same questions going into our cruise in September. After cruising on the Fantasy for a week, I can tell you that there is tons of things to do for your little ones! First off, my son is also not potty trained ... but 'the pool' was never an issue, as we ere in 'Nemo's Reef' all of our days at sea ... he loved it there as did all of the other kids. If we weren't in Nemo's Reef, we took advantage of watching movies on the 'Funnel Vision TV' on the top deck, or went to Open House at the kids clubs that they have for children 3 and up ... anyone can come and play during open houses! In the Oceaneers Club, there are themed rooms to Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Nemo and Fairy Forest ... not to mention a huge interactive floor that kids can play on.

Your older kids can also play in these areas all day and different events are held at each location, like cooking classes, or games and trivia. Understanding that you don't want to drop the kids off, Nemo's Reef is located right next to the Mickey Pool so you can be right next to your kids while making sure your littlest one has fun too. Also for the older kids ... the AquaDuck is awesome ... a water slide type ride that goes around the ship.

Other things on the ships that are family friendly include free 'theater' movies in the movie theaters, an interactive detective game that all of the kids were playing on our cruise, meet and greets with a large amount of characters (they are much easier to meet on the cruise then in the parks!), family events like Bingo, Karaoke and Trivia games at the D Lounge and much more. In addition, there are sports options as well, such as mini golf, basketball, ping pong, shuffle board and the running track on Deck 4.

based on the timing of your trip, you may also have a special event for Christmas ... we had a special event for Halloween and it was awesome ... that's in addition to Pirate Night that takes place on most of the cruises.

I love Disney World ... especially at the Holidays, but I can say that after our last cruise, we are switching to the Cruise Line for the next few years. The reasoning that we are using is that nothing 'new' has really been done to the parks in recent years and between hotel, park passes and food ... it adds up. The cruise is all inclusive (outside of alcohol) and while you are 'on the boat' the whole time, you really don't feel like it ... plus it allows you to explore ports of call that you may have never been to before. The service is exceptional on the cruise and the personalization the stateroom hosts provide you is amazing ... you feel like family. The meals in most cases are gourmet meals and the settings for those meals are amazing (you get to meet crush, have your drawings shown on screen and that's only at animators palate).

It really comes to personal preference ... you know your family better than anyone here, but don't worry that they will be bored on the ship! There is so much to do that my wife and I can't wait to go back in May to do what we were unable to and enjoy some more of the ship ... we booked on board to save the 10% and get a stateroom credit because we loved it that much. If you have any other questions please ask ... it's really a great time on board!

stevehousse

I would say if u haven't gone on a cruise before do it! And I wouldn't worry about the pool and diapers. That's what they make swim diapers for!

Tom P.

Original Poster
I would say if u haven't gone on a cruise before do it! And I wouldn't worry about the pool and diapers. That's what they make swim diapers for!
That's the problem, though. Swim diapers are not allowed on cruises for "health and safety" reasons. Anyone going in the pool must be potty trained.

tmitch

I just took my two year old son on a 4 day to the Bahamas cruise. Dcl offers. He is in swim diapers and couldn't care less that he was in memos reef versus the pool. The cruise was designated as a Halloween cruise so he had time taken up for pics with the characters in costume, trick or treating on the ship, and seeing the Halloween tree activities in the atrium everyday. Add all this up to the everyday activities , shows, and the fact that kids can go in the ocean in castaway cay, and you should be good

atrus79

That's the problem, though. Swim diapers are not allowed on cruises for "health and safety" reasons. Anyone going in the pool must be potty trained.

As mentioned in my above post ... Swim Diapers are allowed in Nemo's Reef ... it's a lot of fun for the little ones.

flynnibus

Premium Member
your kids will have more to do on a cruise than they ever would in the parks. They also would get tons of personal attention they don't get in the parks. A cruise day is loaded with activities you can take part in if you want.

I can't imagine the stress of trying to corral 5 kids in the crowded parks.

NYwdwfan

I have to wonder if you've taken kids on a DCL cruise. If you think that the kids will stare out at the ocean all day, you may not have the full picture of youth activities onboard.

There was clearly a touch of sarcasm there. And I haven't taken the kids on a cruise - I'm waiting until they get older. My kids love the parks so much we are not ready to change things up yet. And as much as there are youth activities, I prefer to do activities with my kids, which at their age I feel the parks offer much more for us right now.

ChuckElias

There was clearly a touch of sarcasm there. And I haven't taken the kids on a cruise - I'm waiting until they get older. My kids love the parks so much we are not ready to change things up yet. And as much as there are youth activities, I prefer to do activities with my kids, which at their age I feel the parks offer much more for us right now.
That's a completely understandable reason for preferring the parks. I missed the sarcasm.

Tom P.

Original Poster
I can't imagine the stress of trying to corral 5 kids in the crowded parks.
We're actually quite used to doing things with the kids. We haven't been to Disney World with 5, since one was just born recently, but we did Disney World this summer with 4, and it was very manageable.

This is what I'm concerned about. I know there are lots of youth activities on board the cruise ships, but from what I've read, it seems that most are in the kids clubs and are built around the idea that the adults drop the kids off and then go off and do their own things. We're much more a "family vacation" type family and like to do our vacation activities together. Just wondering how much of that type of stuff is available on the ships vs. in the parks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is what I'm concerned about. I know there are lots of youth activities on board the cruise ships, but from what I've read, it seems that most are in the kids clubs and are built around the idea that the adults drop the kids off and then go off and do their own things.

That's an incorrect assumption. While there are kids activities in the clubs at all times - there are lots of activities outside the clubs as well. From arts and crafts, to characters, to movies, to the ondeck sports, the water play areas, to bingo, trivia, dance parties and more. Literally there will be multiple options every day on these kinds of activities. It will be difficult at times given your range of ages in terms of fitting 'everyone' all the time.. but that's what is so great about the clubs. That you can mix, match, and do as little or as much as you want. They can kill some time or do certain activities they want, then do something else you all want together, split up, join up, give someone a break, whatever.

Honestly the biggest issue I would think is port activities - there the range is not as kid friendly IMO.

NYwdwfan

That's an incorrect assumption. While there are kids activities in the clubs at all times - there are lots of activities outside the clubs as well. From arts and crafts, to characters, to movies, to the ondeck sports, the water play areas, to bingo, trivia, dance parties and more. Literally there will be multiple options every day on these kinds of activities. It will be difficult at times given your range of ages in terms of fitting 'everyone' all the time.. but that's what is so great about the clubs. That you can mix, match, and do as little or as much as you want. They can kill some time or do certain activities they want, then do something else you all want together, split up, join up, give someone a break, whatever.

Honestly the biggest issue I would think is port activities - there the range is not as kid friendly IMO.

My thought has always been - I can play do arts & crafts, water sports, bingo etc. with my kids ANYWHERE, but I can only take them on The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc. at Walt Disney World. It's just what works best for my family at this time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My thought has always been - I can play do arts & crafts, water sports, bingo etc. with my kids ANYWHERE, but I can only take them on The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc. at Walt Disney World. It's just what works best for my family at this time.

Your assumption... but you can also consider other's experiences... and we've all taken our kids to the parks.

Much-Pixie-Dust

IMO the meet and greet experiences on the ship are vastly superior to the M&G's at the World. There's dance parties, different character outfits for the Fab 5. There are no rides, but DD loved the AquaDuck (if you are going on a ship that has it). She loved that she could get unlimited ice cream virtually all of the time. Just going into a current movie without paying $40 plus dollars for it. The dining experiences are amazing. There's the midship detective agency and lots of other fun things of the sort. The pirate night and fireworks at sea are so much fun! DD did go to the Oceaneer's Club some, but she did lots with us. To quote her, "Once you have went on a Disney cruise, you just don't feel the need to go back to Disney World."

That being said, we love Disney Cruises. The World is fun, but our family has a marvelous time on the cruises.

Bolna

Don't forget that besides the ship experience you will also have the opportunity to explore the ports - whether you go to a nice beach, swim with dolphins or visit Mexican ruins or an old fort.

rick3236

Tom, one other issue you may want to consider is that given the travel size of your party you may need two staterooms. I believe 6 is the max in a stateroom. You may want to check with one of our experts, @Disneyfalcon should be able to answer that for you.

We have 4 kids, daughter 13, and the boys are 12, 8, and 4, and if I offer the kids one week at Disney or a 4day cruise, they would pick the cruise every time. The baby has been cruising with us since he was 1 year old, and we have always had a great time and so has he - the pool is not an issue for us, and the baby loves Nemo's Reef. There are plenty of activities to do as a family, as mentioned already in the thread. For what it's worth, we like to do things as a family also, but it is great to know that the wife and I can go have some adult time and the kids (even the little one) will be well taken care of and entertained.

You can't go wrong with either choice.

5thGenTexan

Our first cruise was Sept 2012 with a 4 year old and a 1 1/2 year old. 4 year old played some in the clubs, as much or as little as she wanted. The 1 1/2 year old couldn't go in the pool or the clubs that year. We all had a great time. Then we went at the end of April 2013 and the boy still couldn't go to the pool, but yet again we had fun. They of course had an absolute blast at Castaway Cay. That second cruise we had a day at Port Canaveral where we could go to the parks. We had to be up at 6 am that day and by 3:00 that afternoon the kids were beat.

I feel the cruise was a more relaxing time with 2 kids of that age than the day we had at the Magic Kingdom. Of course, your mileage may vary. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom