Crowd Flow Tendencies at MK in the AM?

SteamboatJoe

Would anyone be able to speak to what the crowd flow tendencies are at the MK now that they are letting people onto Main Street before the official posted opening time?

The reason I ask is my trip in early/mid May will be my first one since November 2015 and I'm wondering if the "plan of attack" my wife and I used last time to avoid having to stand in any big lines at MK (which was pretty effective) is going to work this trip. I am assuming the aforementioned change in opening procedure, along with some other developments, have altered the typical crowd tendencies that my previous plan was formulated under.

During our last trip, we got to the park when it opened at 9 AM and upon entering, we fought every urge to stare at the castle or play around on Main Street and went straight to Adventureland while those not preoccupied on Main Street or the hub headed to Fantasyland or made an instinctive right into Tomorrowland. This allowed us to more or less walk onto Jungle Cruise and PotC. From there we worked counter-clockwise up to Frontierland where we had maybe 5 - 10 minute waits for Splash and Big Thunder. Haunted Mansion was maybe 10 - 15 minutes, if that and then worked our way into Fantasyland. By that point it was a couple of hours in but we had knocked out all of the big ticket attractions on the western side of the park and were able to use our FPs to get onto most of the other big ticket rides as well as all of the night time entertainment.

We took this approach to also make sure we fit in all of the major attractions that first day knowing that we will have at least one or two more days during our trip to go back MK and enjoy the park in a more traditional manner and at a more leisurely pace that allows us to not only enjoy the other "non-major" attractions but also the sights, sounds, nuances, and details that make the MK truly special.

BigRedDad

Plan should still be valid. We tend to do MK twice each trip. MK Day 1, we head left. Do all of Adventureland, Frontierland with multiple stops on the big rides. We FP the rides in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. After done on the left, we head to the other side to hit up short wait rides and shows. MK Day 2, we do the opposite. We head right and work our way left. This guarantees us getting on everything we wanted.

Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

Would anyone be able to speak to what the crowd flow tendencies are at the MK now that they are letting people onto Main Street before the official posted opening time?

The reason I ask is my trip in early/mid May will be my first one since November 2015 and I'm wondering if the "plan of attack" my wife and I used last time to avoid having to stand in any big lines at MK (which was pretty effective) is going to work this trip. I am assuming the aforementioned change in opening procedure, along with some other developments, have altered the typical crowd tendencies that my previous plan was formulated under.

During our last trip, we got to the park when it opened at 9 AM and upon entering, we fought every urge to stare at the castle or play around on Main Street and went straight to Adventureland while those not preoccupied on Main Street or the hub headed to Fantasyland or made an instinctive right into Tomorrowland. This allowed us to more or less walk onto Jungle Cruise and PotC. From there we worked counter-clockwise up to Frontierland where we had maybe 5 - 10 minute waits for Splash and Big Thunder. Haunted Mansion was maybe 10 - 15 minutes, if that and then worked our way into Fantasyland. By that point it was a couple of hours in but we had knocked out all of the big ticket attractions on the western side of the park and were able to use our FPs to get onto most of the other big ticket rides as well as all of the night time entertainment.

We took this approach to also make sure we fit in all of the major attractions that first day knowing that we will have at least one or two more days during our trip to go back MK and enjoy the park in a more traditional manner and at a more leisurely pace that allows us to not only enjoy the other "non-major" attractions but also the sights, sounds, nuances, and details that make the MK truly special.

We use exactly the same type of route you used. It worked for us too. We were at WDW last week, and encountered the new opening show and early opening of Main St. We loved the fact that you could leisurely stroll down MS, go into the shops, bakery, or coffee shops. We sat in front of the castle for the opening show. To us, the opening show was not long enough or good enough. It seemed like it was a quickly thrown together show. I really miss the old opening show. IMO only.
We found that a lot of people lined up at the rope going to fantasyland so they could get to 7dmt quickly. It was a really long line. They ignored the opening show, as you can't see it from there. There was a small line up for liberty square rope and adventureland.
I think you will do okay with your plan. We went the opposite of everyone else, too, and had walkon's, even though they stated 5 or 10 minutes. No problem. If you are not hurrying to 7dmt, you will be okay.

Upvote 0

thomas998

If you are doing more than one day there I would shift to Tomorrow Land one day and hit it first, you can usually nearly walk on to rides like Space Mountain which tend to be forgotten because everyone is pushing and shoving to get to the mine trains... last trip there I think we road Space Mountain 3 times in a row with pretty much zero waiting before the lines started to develop.

Upvote 0

SteamboatJoe

Original Poster
If you are doing more than one day there I would shift to Tomorrow Land one day and hit it first, you can usually nearly walk on to rides like Space Mountain which tend to be forgotten because everyone is pushing and shoving to get to the mine trains... last trip there I think we road Space Mountain 3 times in a row with pretty much zero waiting before the lines started to develop.

Interesting. I will have to keep that in mind. We are definitely doing more than one day....our first full day of the trip, our last full day of the trip (also my wife's birthday), and likely a stop some time during the middle of the week during at least one of our 2 "flex" days. On our last day, so long as we've gotten our must-do things done, we plan on taking it a little slower and spending some time enjoying some of the more passive attractions.

Upvote 0

SteamboatJoe

Original Poster
In 2014, we did breakfast at the castle at 8 am, then we went straight to Space Mountain, where there was no line! First ride with my new engagement bling that year!

Thanks, that is good to know. On our last day we are eating at Crystal Palace at 8:30 AM so it sounds like we could probably do the same.

My best Space Mountain walk on experience was in November 1996. We were there on a weekday the week before Thanksgiving and walked on numerous, consecutive times.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom