Criticism of WDW

donsullivan

Premium Member
I will not speak for the OP but I sense the issue being raised is similar to one I've had for some time. Despite the alarmists suggesting this is a attempt to 'suppress speech' (which is ridiculous) it is not about stopping alternate view of things but it is a wish that some would take a step back and really look at their perspective on things. When you are incapable of saying anything positive about the company, and don't like anything they do, maybe it's time for a new passion in life.

There is a very loud subset of this 'community' (with a lot of time on their hands) who over the years have lost the ability to consider that Disney is capable of doing anything correctly. That portion of the community finds something negative in absolutely every single thing that Disney does. It doesn't matter what it is, they'll find something negative in it to complain about. And as has been seen above, they even find it appropriate to mock and denigrate anyone who doesn't have their same negative viewpoint.

I've seen a few things I'm not a fan of (Jungle Book show at AK & new nighttime show at DHS) and a few I'm a big fan of (new Soarin' and Frozen Ever After) and I've expressed those concerns and moved on. The segment of the community that's being referred to is those who found (and sometimes aggressively so) negativity and complaints in everything that has happened and seem unable to move past things.

Last edited:

Ksearcy

I will not speak for the OP but I sense the issue being raised is similar to one I've had for some time. Despite the alarmists suggesting this is a attempt to 'suppress speech' (which is ridiculous) it is not about stopping alternate view of things but it is a wish that some would take a step back and really look at their perspective on things. When you are incapable of saying anything positive about the company, and don't like anything they do, maybe it's time for a new passion in life.

There is a very loud subset of this 'community' (with a lot of time on their hands) who over the years have lost the ability to consider that Disney is capable of doing anything correctly. That portion of the community finds something negative in absolutely every single thing that Disney does. It doesn't matter what it is, they'll find something negative in it to complain about. And as has been seen above, they even find it appropriate to mock and denigrate anyone who does have their same negative viewpoint.

I've seen a few things I'm not a fan of (Jungle Book show at AK & new nighttime show at DHS) and a few I'm a big fan of (new Soarin' and Frozen Ever After) and I've expressed those concerns and moved on. The segment of the community that's being referred to is those who found (and sometimes aggressively so) negativity and complaints in everything that has happened and seem unable to move past things.
Very well said!!!

lazyboy97o

There is a very loud subset of this 'community' (with a lot of time on their hands) who over the years have lost the ability to consider that Disney is capable of doing anything correctly. That portion of the community finds something negative in absolutely every single thing that Disney does. It doesn't matter what it is, they'll find something negative in it to complain about. And as has been seen above, they even find it appropriate to mock and denigrate anyone who does have their same negative viewpoint.

As has been stated repeatedly, there are tools available to all that can fix that problem not to mention the other forums outside of News & Rumors which tend to be very positive.

Last edited:

Doug Means

I've been going to WDW for the last 25-30 years and yes, it's gotten worse than it used to be in some respects and the quality has declined. But I still go yearly to bi-yearly and I still have a good time. Disney's my happy place regardless, so just deal OP.

i just wonder how the increase in attendance effects parks and up keep?

BiffyClyro

When reading these forums and other WDW websites I see a lot of harshness towards Disney and the World in particular, people saying they are being cheap, not doing enough, etc... I have been going every year for the last 10 years and I have never come away disappointed. Could they do more? Yes. Could some experiences be better ? Yes. But in their defense they are undertaking a ton of projects currently. Three huge land expansions (Avatar, Star Wars, And Toy Story), the almost completely finished Disney Springs,more major refurbs then they have had in ages, multiple new shows and performances and more. Disney world to me is a magical place and always will be, I believe many of the people on here feel the same. My favorite parts of these forums to read are the special moments and magical things people encounter and experience at WDW. Lets focus on those a bit more and maybe ease up on the "Disney is cheap and garbage now" hate.

I agree completely. You'll also notice that it's usually coming from the same people who hate it so much, they spend every vacation going back and commenting on a forum until they go back about how awful it is.... It's actually kind of immature. They compare it to 'old' disney, forgetting that it was probably the same, if not 'worse' (whatever that is) back then, but it's been immortalised as perfect because that's how much they enjoyed it. Lame.

I love this site and I love some of the friends i've made off of here, but honestly, the constant negativity and people attacking each other out of nowhere (For example, I had a well known member make a very nasty comment over a simple spelling error) is ridiculous.

21stamps

By no means should this site be used to plan a trip. You wouldn't use what people say on social media about candidates to decide your vote in the upcoming election.

People who post things that are negative here are likely guests who've gone several times over the years or have an annual pass. They see the ups and downs of the day to day operations and just make comments about it. It's nothing different than any other company but this site is just seen by many. Don't get disheartened. Just have a good trip! :)
Thanks. But yeah, I do use social media/planning sites/company website/reviews etc when planning a trip. Regardless of it Disney or not. Actually even with most products that I buy I read reviews on 3rd party sites before a purchase.

Disney World is a little different. I went annually from 1978-2009. Did not go 2010-2014. And when I went in 2015- first time ever as a mother and ENTIRELY different ball game. Everything that I thought I knew amounted to- Not much. I purchased the DDP, paid out of pocket for my 5 year old at several qs restaurants so he could get an adult meal.
Months later while on a Disney forum I realized that I didn't need to do that- had no clue that qs service can be adult or kid's meals. I also didn't realize that I could have used the DDP for the F! Dinner package, until after I had paid out of pocket for that as well. And I have learned of some great use of snack credits that I wasn't aware of.
Also, although I know the layout of the parks, I definitely didn't plan our day well- I scheduled us so we were bouncing all over.

DCL is a totally new for us, I originally had booked deck 10 on the Fantasy, and then read about the 'overhang' on a forum. So, I switched to Deck 9.

Most of my friends and family go annually to WDW, quite a few have been on DCL. But I guess even though we've all been so many times, we aren't the "die hard Disney peeps". No one is a spreadsheet planner. I only know one person who has participated in FE, and I don't want to blast my fb page with Disney questions. Stroller rental, garden grocer, that kind of stuff I'll talk to my friends. Favorite DCL ship too, but beyond that I just read about it.

Especially this time after realizing how unprepared I was last time!

But anyway, I remember lonnnggg lines in the 80s. I don't ever remember Disney world as being considered "reasonably priced". So I guess those posts always shock me a little. And the character meal prices? I suck it up bc I'm paying to avoid wasting a FP or stand in line. As long as the food is decent then I'm good.lol. I didn't realize the negative passion that people have towards Disney until the past few months, so I guess the shock hasn't worn off. Now I just know it's better to resist engaging.lol
I know that I personally had a fabulous time at WDW in the 80s,90s, 2000s, and again in 2015- even with all my mistakes.

Last edited:

raven

Thanks. But yeah, I do use social media/planning sites/company website/reviews etc when planning a trip. Regardless of it Disney or not. Actually even with most products that I buy I read reviews on 3rd party sites before a purchase.

Disney World is a little different. I went annually from 1978-2009. Did not go 2010-2014. And when I went in 2015- first time ever as a mother and ENTIRELY different ball game. Everything that I thought I knew amounted to- Not much. I purchased the DDP, paid out of pocket for my 5 year old at several qs restaurants so he could get an adult meal.
Months later while on a Disney forum I realized that I didn't need to do that- had no clue that qs service can be adult or kid's meals. I also didn't realize that I could have used the DDP for the F! Dinner package, until after I had paid out of pocket for that as well. And I have learned of some great use of snack credits that I wasn't aware of.
Also, although I know the layout of the parks, I definitely didn't plan our day well- I scheduled us so we were bouncing all over.

DCL is a totally new for us, I originally had booked deck 10 on the Fantasy, and then read about the 'overhang' on a forum. So, I switched to Deck 9.

Most of my friends and family go annually to WDW, quite a few have been on DCL. But I guess even though we've all been so many times, we aren't the "die hard Disney peeps". No one is a spreadsheet planner. I only know one person who has participated in FE, and I don't want to blast my fb page with Disney questions. Stroller rental, garden grocer, that kind of stuff I'll talk to my friends. Favorite DCL ship too, but beyond that I just read about it.

Especially this time after realizing how unprepared I was last time!

But anyway, I remember lonnnggg lines in the 80s. I don't ever remember Disney world as being considered "reasonably priced". So I guess those posts always shock me a little. And the character meal prices? I suck it up bc I'm paying to avoid wasting a FP or stand in line. As long as the food is decent then I'm good.lol. I didn't realize the negative passion that people have towards Disney until the past few months, so I guess the shock hasn't worn off. Now I just know it's better to resist engaging.lol
I know that I personally had a fabulous time at WDW in the 80s,90s, 2000s, and again in 2015- even with all my mistakes.

Disney now makes it nearly impossible to visit without plans. There's no such thing as winging it free style anymore unless you are a local and go all the time. Even then you have to get on the app and pick your FPs in order not to wait in extended lines.

FastPass is good for saving time in lines but look at the effect it's had on the stand by line. And you cannot get a FP for every attraction on the park on a single day that you visit that park. So some bad comes with the good. You have to plan early and decide what you are dying to experience at that park and just stick to those....if you can even get a FP for it.

As far as the DDP goes it is always changing as well. Have the prices dropped by 11% like others say? Sure. But there are more restrictions and cuts to the program now and a lot of table services went to using 2 points as well. So for me, unless you plan to stuff yourself every single day, it isn't worth the money.

It's probably no big deal for guests visiting who didn't know the history of park prices, DDP prices and for those who don't know how WDW used to be.

I believe most of negative posts, including some of mine, are from people who really love Disney but is saddened by how it's ran by corporate greedy giants now.

JohnD

I'm relatively new to forums, and I search certain WDW or DCL questions- usually to find threads which are not really info, just bashing.
It's disheartening when planning a trip. Not because I think I'll have a bad time, just bc I'm excited for my trip and would like to discuss planning and tips without negativity. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I doubt it.

My new goal- just ignore the negative and ridiculous posts. It doesn't do any good to get involved in them. If someone is set on Disney bashing then they won't change their mind, and that's ok. I do think there are still others online who are also excited for their upcoming trips!

More practical advice can be found at the restaurant, resort, MyMagic+, transportation, and trip planning threads. A much more positive attitude on those just because people want a magical trip.

SeanWM48

anytime you want to read positive reviews or feel better about disney go over to the trip report section. it really is fun and refreshing reading/seeing pics of people's great vacations.

that said i have no problem with anyone criticizing WDW. you spend a fortune going there and can critique all you want. the only people i really find ridiculous are the ones incapable of accepting the idea that something went wrong down there

I will not it.Nice to know I am not alone in my frustration iver chronic complainers.peak for the OP but I sense the issue being raised is similar to one I've had for some time. Despite the alarmists suggesting this is a attempt to 'suppress speech' (which is ridiculous) it is not about stopping alternate view of things but it is a wish that some would take a step back and really look at their perspective on things. When you are incapable of saying anything positive about the company, and don't like anything they do, maybe it's time for a new passion in life.

There is a very loud subset of this 'community' (with a lot of time on their hands) who over the years have lost the ability to consider that Disney is capable of doing anything correctly. That portion of the community finds something negative in absolutely every single thing that Disney does. It doesn't matter what it is, they'll find something negative in it to complain about. And as has been seen above, they even find it appropriate to mock and denigrate anyone who doesn't have their same negative viewpoint.

Thanks for that. Well said and polite. I couldn't have done it.

BAChicagoGal

Actually, I am a compulsive planner, and I like to read threads both pro and con about WDW in general. WDW is not perfect by any means. I can make up my own mind after reading people's opinions. I want to hear about what's going on from people who have actually been there. People that have actually stayed in the hotels, and ate at the restaurants, and rode the rides, and met the characters. First hand knowledge has helped me out many times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom