Criticism of WDW

thomas998

Have you ever stayed at a Universal property? WDW is great but Universal has really stepped up their game. Harry Potter was a game changer and Disney while awesome has nothing on the immerssive level of Diagon Alley.
I only have a few complaints about Universal... Too many smoking areas everywhere you turn... A very long walk from the drop-off/parking area to the actual amusement park... and biggest problem of all - not much in the way of shade it always seems like you are just walking in a concrete jungle everywhere you go out side of Harry Potter areas.

Mickey5150

Unfortunately the internet has fostered the mob mentality. If everyone else is saying bad things then it's cool to join in, besides, online no one really knows who you are. If people really wanted to change WDW they wouldn't sit on this site complaining, they would actually go to Disney and fight for change.

Magenta Panther

Unfortunately the internet has fostered the mob mentality. If everyone else is saying bad things then it's cool to join in, besides, online no one really knows who you are. If people really wanted to change WDW they wouldn't sit on this site complaining, they would actually go to Disney and fight for change.

How do you propose they do that?

copcarguyp71

So nobody is really unhappy...we are all just joiners...hmm interesting. I agree....pay thousands of dollars to be able to go and be purposely dissatisfied so that you can complain at the front desk or guest services where they promptly walk you right into Mr Igers' office for a conference...indeed o_O

My name is Rob Jackson and I live in Boyertown PA and there are things that I am unhappy about at Walt Disney World...there does that lend legitimacy to my griping now that you know who I am?

Have you ever stayed at a Universal property? WDW is great but Universal has really stepped up their game. Harry Potter was a game changer and Disney while awesome has nothing on the immerssive level of Diagon Alley.

No. Not yet. I am eagerly anticipating it though. I am very fat and have read that the better attractions cannot accommodate extra large people. There is also the emotional attachment to Disney that makes it so special to me. I just don't relate to Universal's films as deeply as Disney's.

ecial moments and magical things people encounter and experience at WDW. Lets focus on those a bit more and maybe ease up on the "Disney is cheap and garbage now" hate.[/QUOTE]

Let's leave this one to the haters for yet another gripe fest and start a new conversation Jakesky. How about "What I love about WDW and how they do it better." It seems suggesting positivity is infringing on member's free speech and rights to complain.

Club Cooloholic

No. Not yet. I am eagerly anticipating it though. I am very fat and have read that the better attractions cannot accommodate extra large people. There is also the emotional attachment to Disney that makes it so special to me. I just don't relate to Universal's films as deeply as Disney's.
Thats a shame...well you could always use it as motivation to make some healthy changes.
But I would suggest you not make derogatory statements about a place you have never experienced yourself.

Last edited:
Thats a shame...well you could always use

I just mentioned Universal's films. Not the parks. Yes. I am walking longer distances each day to prepare. Remember I said earlier I am very much looking forward to visiting sometime soon. Flying with Harry is a great motivation, you're so right on that. I sure didn't mean to be deragatory. It sounds like you really love it. Anyway, sorry to get so off topic. Will you start a new thread about what you love about Universal? I'd love to hear more.

Yes. I am walking longer distances each day to prepare

Filby61

It's always sort of amazing that people lurk, don't like what they see, join and then post complaining about how they don't like the posts.

Amazing, too, how they invariably call for the suppression, censoring, or outright elimination of opinions that criticize the object of their adoration (in this case, a multi-billion dollar media marketing corporation). It kinda makes you wonder what it is about criticism of Disney that is so threatening to these folks.

Last edited:

raven

When reading these forums and other WDW websites I see a lot of harshness towards Disney and the World in particular, people saying they are being cheap, not doing enough, etc... I have been going every year for the last 10 years and I have never come away disappointed. Could they do more? Yes. Could some experiences be better ? Yes. But in their defense they are undertaking a ton of projects currently. Three huge land expansions (Avatar, Star Wars, And Toy Story), the almost completely finished Disney Springs,more major refurbs then they have had in ages, multiple new shows and performances and more. Disney world to me is a magical place and always will be, I believe many of the people on here feel the same. My favorite parts of these forums to read are the special moments and magical things people encounter and experience at WDW. Lets focus on those a bit more and maybe ease up on the "Disney is cheap and garbage now" hate.
Only 1 of those is an actual expansion. The other two are land "replacements."

The "almost completely finished Disney Springs" is exactly as you quoted it. It's been under construction for years and the stores that are now open are aimed at guests seeking luxury items rather than catering to the masses.

Refurbs happen all the time. Nothing new.

New shows have delayed openings and even been pulled for further tweeking while temporary ones have to be created to cover it.

The only new ride to open is Frozen (a layover that took nearly 2 years) but it breaks down almost every day since it's been open.

Please understand these are forums to discuss the property in general, good and bad. Take no offense if you see negative posts as these members have just as much to right to post as anyone else.

21stamps

When reading these forums and other WDW websites I see a lot of harshness towards Disney and the World in particular, people saying they are being cheap, not doing enough, etc... I have been going every year for the last 10 years and I have never come away disappointed. Could they do more? Yes. Could some experiences be better ? Yes. But in their defense they are undertaking a ton of projects currently. Three huge land expansions (Avatar, Star Wars, And Toy Story), the almost completely finished Disney Springs,more major refurbs then they have had in ages, multiple new shows and performances and more. Disney world to me is a magical place and always will be, I believe many of the people on here feel the same. My favorite parts of these forums to read are the special moments and magical things people encounter and experience at WDW. Lets focus on those a bit more and maybe ease up on the "Disney is cheap and garbage now" hate.
I'm relatively new to forums, and I search certain WDW or DCL questions- usually to find threads which are not really info, just bashing.
It's disheartening when planning a trip. Not because I think I'll have a bad time, just bc I'm excited for my trip and would like to discuss planning and tips without negativity. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I doubt it.

My new goal- just ignore the negative and ridiculous posts. It doesn't do any good to get involved in them. If someone is set on Disney bashing then they won't change their mind, and that's ok. I do think there are still others online who are also excited for their upcoming trips!

Lucky

I'm relatively new to forums, and I search certain WDW or DCL questions- usually to find threads which are not really info, just bashing.
It's disheartening when planning a trip. Not because I think I'll have a bad time, just bc I'm excited for my trip and would like to discuss planning and tips without negativity. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but I doubt it.

My new goal- just ignore the negative and ridiculous posts. It doesn't do any good to get involved in them. If someone is set on Disney bashing then they won't change their mind, and that's ok. I do think there are still others online who are also excited for their upcoming trips!
WDWMagic makes it easy to plan trips without having to read "negativity." There's a Trip Planning forum, and another for Trip Reports. There's very little criticism there. So I don't understand the problem.

pax_65

It's about overall value - our level of enjoyment has stayed the same over the past 10 years, but the cost has gone up incommensurate with the additional content. Hence, we're going every two years now instead of yearly. Problem solved.

^THIS. We used to go once or twice a year. Now we go once every 2-3 years.We're getting the opportunity to see other things and we still get our Disney fix once in a while. And apparently, Disney is fine with it - I don't feel like our presence is missed. So everybody wins.

bethymouse

I've been going to WDW for the last 25-30 years and yes, it's gotten worse than it used to be in some respects and the quality has declined. But I still go yearly to bi-yearly and I still have a good time. Disney's my happy place regardless, so just deal OP.
It's my happy place too!;):):D:joyfull:

raven

It's disheartening when planning a trip.

By no means should this site be used to plan a trip. You wouldn't use what people say on social media about candidates to decide your vote in the upcoming election.

People who post things that are negative here are likely guests who've gone several times over the years or have an annual pass. They see the ups and downs of the day to day operations and just make comments about it. It's nothing different than any other company but this site is just seen by many. Don't get disheartened. Just have a good trip! :)

raven

^THIS. We used to go once or twice a year. Now we go once every 2-3 years.We're getting the opportunity to see other things and we still get our Disney fix once in a while. And apparently, Disney is fine with it - I don't feel like our presence is missed. So everybody wins.
Perhaps that is the trend they are seeing (and want). Guests will not come as often so the parks won't be as crowded. But then they can raise the prices all across property to make up for that lost income from you when you get here. Kinda makes sense as a business. Not the route I would choose but it's their game, not mine.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
When reading these forums and other WDW websites I see a lot of harshness towards Disney and the World in particular, people saying they are being cheap, not doing enough, etc... I have been going every year for the last 10 years and I have never come away disappointed.

Therein lies your problem.

If you went back in the 80s and 90s (and earlier too I'm sure but I'm not THAT old!) WDW was far superior in standards, cleanliness & castmember "casting" if you will. 9/11/01 and the years after took a HUGE toll on Disney and central Florida so cutbacks were made, but after the economy rebounded Disney figured out they could do more, with less and continue to do so.

I still love Disney, I go to either WDW or DL yearly, but I'm very disappointed as of late.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom