Credit card necessity to book a trip??

disneydumbo101

Help! I'm planning a trip to Disney and my friends and I are 18 and 17. None of us have crebit cards but we do have debit cards. We were planning on paying for our hotel using gift cards. However my parents are saying that you NEED a credit card to reserve a room and you need to show it when you check in. Is this true?? Or can we just pay with a gift card... if we only pay with a gift card then how would they know it was actually us when checking in to the hotel .... thanks in advance!!! :))

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Credit or Debit/credit (cannot just be a debit that only works at an ATM) card is required to have on hold for any possible incidental charges to your stay for any hotel in the US including those at WDW. But you are welcome to use gift cards to pay your balance etc. ;)

Upvote 0

DisAl

You will need something to pay the deposit when you book. I don't know if they can take a debit card, but don't see why they couldn't if the charge will go through.

Upvote 0

TARDIS

Debit card is just fine to book and have for incidentals u can pay for it all with a gift card and just have the card on file though if that's your preference.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

You will need something to pay the deposit when you book. I don't know if they can take a debit card, but don't see why they couldn't if the charge will go through.
They take a debit card as long as its one that can be used to pay for things etc. The debit card you can't use is the type that you only can use at an ATM etc not for purchases. But a regular debit visa or MasterCard you can use. :)

Upvote 0

bigrigross

Unsure about Disney as I have never used a debit card to reserve a room, but any hotel I have stayed at and used my debit card, they usually put between a 200 and 300 dollar incidental hold on your card so be aware of that. They will release it after you have checked out and looked at your room. That may not be true at Disney or in Florida (Laws vary per state) as some states have laws against it.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Unsure about Disney as I have never used a debit card to reserve a room, but any hotel I have stayed at and used my debit card, they usually put between a 200 and 300 dollar incidental hold on your card so be aware of that. They will release it after you have checked out and looked at your room. That may not be true at Disney or in Florida (Laws vary per state) as some states have laws against it.

Disney does not put any kind if hold on your credit or debit card. They only run an authorization for $0.00 to ensure it's a valid card.

-Rob

Upvote 0

bigrigross

Disney does not put any kind if hold on your credit or debit card. They only run an authorization for $0.00 to ensure it's a valid card.

-Rob

Yeah, I have never tried using a debit card at disney. But the 0.00 authorization is common for any hotel chain for credit cards. I have used a debit card at multiple hotels across the country and they all put a 200 to 300 dollar hold on the debit card. Never met one that didnt. Rental car companies do the same thing. They dont fall off for like 3 or 4 days after the hotel clears it. OP should contact Disney and make sure that is not the case especially if they were planning on using that money.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Yeah, I have never tried using a debit card at disney. But the 0.00 authorization is common for any hotel chain for credit cards. I have used a debit card at multiple hotels across the country and they all put a 200 to 300 dollar hold on the debit card. Never met one that didnt. Rental car companies do the same thing. They dont fall off for like 3 or 4 days after the hotel clears it. OP should contact Disney and make sure that is not the case especially if they were planning on using that money.

If they want to contact Disney they can, but it's common knowledge on here that there are no holds of any kind put on either credit or debit cards by Disney for a room charge account. (If you do a search, you'll find that this has come up time and time again, and the answer is always the same)

This has been the policy for as far back as I can remember, and was still in effect on my trip in October.

-Rob

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

If they want to contact Disney they can, but it's common knowledge on here that there are no holds of any kind put on either credit or debit cards by Disney for a room charge account. (If you do a search, you'll find that this has come up time and time again, and the answer is always the same)

This has been the policy for as far back as I can remember, and was still in effect on my trip in October.

-Rob
Yep they have never put any hold on our credit or debit cards at WDW resorts. Now yes at non Disney resorts when we travel they do but I can agree they don't on WDW property. :)

Upvote 0

tractor tipper

Someone correct me if this is wrong. If you use a gift card to pay for your reservation hang on to the card, if you were to cancel the refund amount goes back onto the card.

Upvote 0

drwadadli

Since you can pay for the deposit using a gift card, and also pay off the balance with a gift card, I don't see that a credit card is a 100% requirement.

-Rob
According to disneyworld.disney.go com:

Terms and Conditions
DEPOSIT REQUIREMENTS: A credit card deposit must be receive at time of booking or the reservation will be automatically cancelled.

So, based on their own terms and conditions, YES a credit card IS required.

According The Walt Disney Travel Company:

They do accept ONLY the Disney Gift cards for purchase on the website. However, the website will only accept one gift card per purchase. Disney Gift cards are backed by a credit card company which is why Disney Gift card are ok for deposit.

Upvote 0

tractor tipper

Just ran a mock reservation online. Got to the point for payment, options were: credit card, debit card, Disney gift card, Disney vacation saving account, and Disney rewards card. It maybe possible they will ask for a credit card later to cover any excess charges.

Upvote 0

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
We have literally spent the equivalent of months staying on WDW property and going to the parks. Debit card will work just fine. The ATM/ cash card only probably not but we have used a debit card with a MasterCard or Visa endorsement and never had an issue.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom