Trip Report Couldn't stay away: A Two-Part May TR

Hello again! I finally finished the TR for my October 2014 trip with my best friends (link) a few days ago, so I figured it's time to start a new one!!

This trip report comes to you in two parts, the first of which is now over:

Part 1 = Quick stay at All-Star Movies with my parents including 1 day of park hopping.

IMG_1172.jpg

Part 2
= Celebrating my sister's 21st birthday with 6 days of Disney/Universal fun, including the 24-hour event!
DSC04437.JPG

My reasoning for starting this TR before the whole thing is done it that I'm actually going to try and add a little bit of live reporting, especially during the 24 hour event. Katie and I have gone to the past 2 and couldn't miss out this year. She loves complaining and blaming me for making her get up to go to Magic Kingdom at 6 AM but oh well. We're gonna have fun.

Also on the itinerary is drinking around the world (kinda) for the first time, a couple days at Universal, Be Our Guest, Memorial Day crowds, so many rounds of Space Mountain and Expedition Everest, etc.

So let's see how this TR goes!

abzoo

Original Poster
All feeble attempts at live trip reporting are now over so I suppose it's time to go back to the day I spent in the parks with my parents:

Friday, May 15

The parents wanted to get some breakfast in the food court. We walked in and nothing looked appetizing. They ate cereal. ha. I went to the concierge desk while they were eating because my Magic Band was not working when I tried to pay with it. The problem was solved pretty quickly. So then we walked out to the Animal Kingdom bus stop.
IMG_1148.jpg

There was a bus that came by that must have stopped at the other All Stars first since it was almost full when it got to us. So we didn't get to AK right at rope drop but it wasn't too long after 9 when we made it in. Our first stop was Expedition Everest, which was the whole reason we went to AK in the first place. My parents haven't been to AK since that ride opened-- since my sister and I always talk about how much we love it, my dad had been wanting to try out "the yeti ride." So we left my mom outside and got in line!

IMG_9471.jpg

The line wasn't quite short enough when we got out to warrant another go (and leave my mom behind) so we decided to move on. We wanted to move on soon from AK but I thought they should go to Festival of the Lion King so we trekked from Asia to Africa for the 10AM showing. Love it.

IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG

My dad had vetoed going on the safari earlier because he said he wasn't interested in looking at animals & he "can go do that at any zoo." I shouldn't have listened to him-- my mom would have enjoyed doing that again. But the line was getting long for Kilimanjaro Safaris when we got out of FotLK so we left Africa. My dad's alternate option was that we go on Dinosaur. My mom didn't want to go but ended up riding. She was not happy about that at all.

IMG_8999.jpg

So we made our way out of AK around 11:30. Stopped to take a photo in front of the Tree of Life-- it was good to see a bunch of the construction walls down (at least the ones directly in front of the tree).

IMG_9004.jpg
IMG_9008.JPG

Next, we went to catch the bus to Epcot. There was an Epcot bus driving away as soon as we got close to the bus stops but luckily, another one showed up a couple minutes behind it. See ya later, Animal Kingdom!

Last edited:

abzoo

Original Poster
Next, we were in Epcot for the final days of the Flower and Garden Festival...

IMG_7467.JPG

We looked around at some of the flowers/topiaries in Future World and stopped into the butterfly garden. Here's some cocoons that were in there.

IMG_9016.JPG
IMG_7480.JPG

IMG_7472.JPG
IMG_7473.jpg

Of course we had to stop in Club Cool as well.
IMG_9013.JPG

And then we were ready to move on. But first we had to do at least one more thing before we headed to World Showcase. Living with the Land!! The ride had a 30 minute wait but we were directed to the fastpass line since my mom was in her rolly walker. So it was nice that we didn't have to wait. LwtL should always be a walk-on.

IMG_9019.JPG
IMG_9020.JPG

We love Living with the Land! I can't remember the last time I might have gone on this with my parents but I would probably assume it was a period of my childhood when I was less thrilled about all the educational stuff at Epcot.

IMG_9014.JPG

IMG_9015.jpg

mrdrift

Once again your trip report is really awesome. All of the pictures are really great. Love the participation in the Whispering Canyon Dinner. Following along.

abzoo

Original Poster
IMG_7508.jpg

Onward through Epcot! Mom was ready for a snack at this point so I mentioned the cronut and that's what we got. I only got a couple bites of it!

cronut copy.jpg

IMG_9023.JPG

We hit up the World Showcase counter clockwise without making all too many stops. We looked around in France at the topiaries and then went to relax a bit in Morocco.

IMG_7517.JPG
IMG_7518.JPG
IMG_7519.JPG

:happy: Cute parent pic in Morocco:

IMG_9024.JPG

Cute Fez House mother-daughter shot haha:

IMG_9029.JPG

The Fez house is always perfect to relax for a few minutes.

As we walked on through Japan, we decided to make a stop at the Flower and Garden Festival Japan kitchen because I wanted to try the frushi. We also got a plum wine slush and shared it.

fru copy.jpg

It was very tasty!

Then as we were walking through the American Adventure, it was time for the new entertainment to begin. The American Music Machine performers were very talented and they cover a lot of different songs from different generations. We liked it but decided to keep moving through WS before the show was over. This ibis also enjoyed the show:

IMG_9033.JPG

Last edited:

abzoo

Original Poster
Next we were in Italy but we didn't spend much time there.
IMG_7539.JPG

IMG_9036.jpg
We always call Lady "Cookie" since she's a cocker spaniel just like our dog back home. Hi Cookie!

In Germany, we said hello to the little town of people celebrating Mini Flower and Garden Festival and looked around the shops.
IMG_9037.JPG

There were some other topiaries...
IMG_9041.JPG

And sand sculptures...
IMG_9042.JPG

And we kept on walking...
IMG_9045.JPG

Despite my resentment toward Frozen, I really love this art that's up on the construction walls for the new Sommerhus. So pretty.
IMG_9048.jpg

We also stopped in Mexico and rode the only ride in the World Showcase before we headed out of the park.

Here's some more Flower and Garden pretty things:

IMG_7498.JPG
IMG_7484.JPG
IMG_7504.JPG

I love the planters they put in the water a whole lot-- wish they would stay at Epcot year-round.

janelove956

Loving your trip report. I also want to try frushi next time I visit and I want to attempt the drinking around the world :p:rolleyes: can't wait to read the rest!

abzoo

Original Poster
monorail.jpg

Farewell, Epcot. We got a pic of the three of us in front of SSE before we left the park.
IMG_9050.jpg

Monorail time!
IMG_9056.JPG
We got to Magic Kingdom and took a picture in front of the train station...
IMG_9063.jpg

Then we reached Main Street just as Festival of Fantasy was wrapping up. Hello, Dragon!
fof.jpg

We had FP+ for Space so we made our way over to Tomorrowland. Mom wasn't riding so we left her in the gift shop and went to get in the long-ish fastpass line.

IMG_9568.jpg

Then it was time to get to our super early dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern.

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_9072.JPG

We were seated in the George and Martha Washington room. This song was stuck in my head the entire time.

We've eaten here a few times as a family, including when it used to be character dining with Colonial Minnie, etc. The family-style meal was very good. Here are some crappy food photos:
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG

Yum!

abzoo

Original Poster
And here's the craisin cake...
IMG_9073.JPG

IMG_9075.jpg
IMG_9076.JPG

We were done with dinner by 5:30 and it was time for our next FP+, which was for 7 Dwarfs Mine Train. I told my mom that she should ride this one for sure, since it's so short and very smooth. Well... I was wrong. It was too much for her and she was not feeling very great afterwards. So my dad and I were both in trouble for making her go on rides that day. Oops. Here's a hidden Mickey:

7d.jpg

We had not yet gone on the Little Mermaid ride so we explored New Fantasyland and walked through the long empty queue and then got on. Extreme blurry pic alert but I still kinda like it:

IMG_1153.JPG
IMG_9081.JPG

We went on Haunted Mansion and small world with very short waits. Took a photo of the triumphant return of Don Quixote to the Spain area, since he was missing the last time I rode during my October trip:

IMG_9085.JPG
IMG_9083.jpg

After that, it was time for Country Bear Jamboree. A good time, as usual.

IMG_9088.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG

ValVal

Wash-ing-ton, Wash-ing-ton hehe poor momma Z i hope she was able to recuperate. HIDDEN MICKEY!! :D Did they update ur lil mermaid yet?! CBJ!!!!!! Ohhhh how i miss u sooooo haha:cat:

abzoo

Original Poster
Wash-ing-ton, Wash-ing-ton hehe poor momma Z i hope she was able to recuperate. HIDDEN MICKEY!! :D Did they update ur lil mermaid yet?! CBJ!!!!!! Ohhhh how i miss u sooooo haha:cat:

:oops: Yeah... Carol was really mad at us. Journey of the Little Mermaid has been updated to match DCA with the black lights, new hairs, extra fishies! Also, the parents said they didn't think they ever took us to CBJ when we were little. But then afterwards, they thought it was familiar. I don't know how I went so many years without experiencing it!

Can't wait to Disneyland it up with ya in 5 weeks! :joyfull::joyfull:

abzoo

Original Poster
Next, in Adventureland, we went over to check out the wait time for Jungle Cruise. It was posted at 40 minutes and we were given a pass to come back later. In the meantime, the wait for Pirates was much shorter so my dad wanted to do that.

However, before it got dark, I had a mission. Since it was the first time the three of us had been at Disney by ourselves since my sister was born, I decided that we needed to recreate a photo. There truly are not enough photos of trips to WDW during my childhood but I do have this gem:

IMG_9100.jpg

My parents weren't really familiar with the photo so they didn't quite know what was up. I asked a random stranger to take a picture and this is what we ended up with!

IMG_9090.jpg

From 1993 to 2015.​

IMG_0286.JPG

So we did ride both Pirates and Jungle Cruise. Then Dad wanted to get some dessert so we got some ice cream treats. My mom and I split a citrus swirl so they put it in two little cups for us.

IMG_9091.jpg

Our timing was not so great since it started to rain once we got our ice cream. It was coming down pretty lightly so we crossed through the hub and found shelter in the Tomorrowland terrace area. After we were done, we went on the always-appropriate Peoplemover. And luckily for us, we caught it at the perfect time. Space Mountain was down-- the parents definitely thought it was a cool view.

IMG_0287.jpg
IMG_0288.JPG

abzoo

Original Poster
Okay. Time to finish up Part One of this TR. My Mom was pretty much ready to leave but we ultimately decided to stay for Celebrate the Magic (which my parents were very impressed with) and then Wishes (much better photos of Wishes to come in Trip Report Part Two.

IMG_0296.jpg
wish.jpg

Then, since we had yet to do any character meets and my Mom thought we should see Mickey, we made a stop in Town Square Theater.

IMG_1164.jpg
IMG_1170.jpg
mickey.jpg

So that was it for our park hopping. We made our way to the All-Star Movies bus and didn't have to wait very long. We stopped but the food court before going back to the room and my mom was wanting a burger. But since there weren't too many stations open at that time, it was taking a really long time for everyone in line to get food. So we turned back around and opted instead for some snacks we had in the room.

IMG_0307.jpg
IMG_0306.jpg
IMG_1178.JPG

The next morning, my dad decided to go for a run to McDonalds and brought breakfast back for us. We left Orlando and then I had to drive them back to catch their flight the day after that. Oh well. I only had to work 3 days that week and then it was time for more Disney fun with my sister.

janelove956

Okay. Time to finish up Part One of this TR. My Mom was pretty much ready to leave but we ultimately decided to stay for Celebrate the Magic (which my parents were very impressed with) and then Wishes (much better photos of Wishes to come in Trip Report Part Two.

Then, since we had yet to do any character meets and my Mom thought we should see Mickey, we made a stop in Town Square Theater.

So that was it for our park hopping. We made our way to the All-Star Movies bus and didn't have to wait very long. We stopped but the food court before going back to the room and my mom was wanting a burger. But since there weren't too many stations open at that time, it was taking a really long time for everyone in line to get food. So we turned back around and opted instead for some snacks we had in the room.

The next morning, my dad decided to go for a run to McDonalds and brought breakfast back for us. We left Orlando and then I had to drive them back to catch their flight the day after that. Oh well. I only had to work 3 days that week and then it was time for more Disney fun with my sister.
I don't think I would be able to concentrate at work knowing I'm going to Disney so soon lol. Loving your report!

abzoo

Original Poster
I don't think I would be able to concentrate at work knowing I'm going to Disney so soon lol. Loving your report!

I know! Such a struggle to concentrate... especially for the times when I leave straight from work to drive down to WDW.

Thanks for reading!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom