Cost of the Disney Dining plan?

bsmartin2000

Original Poster
So can anyone tell me the cost per day per person of the dining plan? I am trying to figure out if paying out of pocket would be better. We are 2 adults and one child. Thanks

SDisney90

So can anyone tell me the cost per day per person of the dining plan? I am trying to figure out if paying out of pocket would be better. We are 2 adults and one child. Thanks
Quick Service Plan: 2 Quick Service Meals and 1 Snack per person (ages 3 & up) per night of stay plus a refillable resort mug. $41.99 per night for adults ages 10 & up, $16.03 per night for children ages 3-9. A “Meal” includes entrée and non-alcoholic beverage at breakfast, entrée, dessert and non-alcoholic beverage at lunch and dinner.

Plus Dining Plan: 1 Table Service Meal, 1 Counter Service Meal and 1 Snack per person (ages 3 & up) per night of stay, plus a refillable resort mug. $60.04 per night for adults ages 10 & up, $19.23 per night for children ages 3-9. A “Meal” includes entrée and non-alcoholic beverage at breakfast, entrée, dessert and non-alcoholic beverage at lunch and dinner. At a buffet you will receive a full buffet and beverage.

There's also a website you can add all your dining information and it will break it down for you.http://www.distripplanner.com/

Also, if there's any deals going on while you visit the world, it could drop the price of the current DP.

TXDisney

We're gonna try the dining plan our next trip. We always pay out of pocket, so we can compare after this next trip. We are gonna do deluxe though bc we like the nice 2 credit dinners.

fugawe09

Just keep in mind when budgeting that for the most part gratuities are not included and should be figured based on the menu prices. DDP or room charge are both a convenient MagicBand transaction, though I can understand how prepaying puts some at ease. I've gone both with and without the DDP and honestly the savings depends a lot on where and what you eat. The plan saves you money if you like buffets, typically order the most expensive item on the menu, and like to have dessert at every meal. When I'm on the plan, I do all of the above to get my money's worth. Doing that, yes, I come out ahead versus if I had paid a la carte. And I enjoy every bite, but I need bigger pants by the end of the week. When I pay menu price, I don't worry about the price too much (hey, I'm on vacation - if I want the filet I get the filet) and what I've noticed is that I tend to order less food and save a little money. I don't really want a dessert after every meal. And I don't feel bad about ordering less expensive menu items (ie: chicken, salad, etc instead of the porterhouse) if that is what I actually happen to be in the mood for. You'll get some who swear by the DDP, some who swear it off, and some who bring a receipt book and calculator and spend their whole vacation trying to figure out if they are saving $5 or not. Just kind of depends on your family's needs and appetite - but seriously don't be the person with the receipt book and calculator on the table at California Grill.

sgtmgd

Just keep in mind when budgeting that for the most part gratuities are not included and should be figured based on the menu prices. DDP or room charge are both a convenient MagicBand transaction, though I can understand how prepaying puts some at ease. I've gone both with and without the DDP and honestly the savings depends a lot on where and what you eat. The plan saves you money if you like buffets, typically order the most expensive item on the menu, and like to have dessert at every meal. When I'm on the plan, I do all of the above to get my money's worth. Doing that, yes, I come out ahead versus if I had paid a la carte. And I enjoy every bite, but I need bigger pants by the end of the week. When I pay menu price, I don't worry about the price too much (hey, I'm on vacation - if I want the filet I get the filet) and what I've noticed is that I tend to order less food and save a little money. I don't really want a dessert after every meal. And I don't feel bad about ordering less expensive menu items (ie: chicken, salad, etc instead of the porterhouse) if that is what I actually happen to be in the mood for. You'll get some who swear by the DDP, some who swear it off, and some who bring a receipt book and calculator and spend their whole vacation trying to figure out if they are saving $5 or not. Just kind of depends on your family's needs and appetite - but seriously don't be the person with the receipt book and calculator on the table at California Grill.
Gratuity is a great point particularly at a "signature" restaurant like the Yachtsman (will be there Thursday evening :) ) just the two of us will incur a bill that will equate to a 30.00 gratuity at 20%.

erasure fan1

@fugawe09 has a great point. You can always make it so the DDP comes out ahead. We have done both and we found that with the dinning plan we spend a lot more. As an example, our trip last summer we spent 4 days and the plan would have been over $600 for us. We spent no where near that amount and we ate well. You can always make an argument for or against the plan. Neither would be wrong because it all depends on the personal eating habits you have.

NHMouse

Take into consideration your families eating habits, desire to do dinner shows or character doing, and these of budgeting for the vacation. I like knowing that everything but the gratuity is paid for before I leave.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Excellent, objectively put post on the DDP!! Nice little comedic zing at the end as well. The imagery of doing that in beautiful fine dining atmostphere of the GC just made chuckle out loud.

Needless to say I agree with everything you've said above. It's such a convenience that we've continued to do the DDP despite the decline in value since it's heyday (gratuity and app included).
I haven't had the guts to go without it (even though even discussed it seriously the last 2 years), but I'm certain that even without playing it close to the vest with expenses (calculator and coupon book) it would come out very, very close to being a break even.

SnarkyMonkey

We have done both and I much preferred the DDP. I wasn't too concerned about the value. Just happy to have it all paid in advance. It is a lot of food but I never force myself to eat it just because I've paid for it. I honestly don't think about food cost at all once I get to Disney on the DDP. When paying out of pocket, I was always keeping track.

TXDisney

Here's the deal I think. Given I've only paid out of pockt. But I think with the dining plan it feels more all inclusive even though you still have to tip and pay for drinks and appetizers. If your saving for the trip you don't have to bring as much money with you if you on the dining plan. Big reason we never do to dining plan is bc we drink when we are there, do nice dinners and rarely snack. But when we decide to have kids, we will prob look into it more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom