Cost of Cruise is crazy

NelleBelle

Now if they had THAT it in the kids clubs, it may have been a different story!! I think my boys would like being in the Edge--just the activities that they do (besides the video games, which would be a big interest for them), like the scavenger hunts and group games, sound like a lot of fun! Good info about the age restrictions and moving up. :)

EOD K9

Yes, but did the kids club have this yet?
20160401_132330.jpg

20160401_132407.jpg
When I was there in December we took the open house tour and would you believe a 9 year old wouldn't get up for one minute so I could get a clean pic (with me at the controls that is).

Ralphlaw

Good point! I forgot about the Open House on embarkation. Do you think they will let my 10 year-old go into the Edge if I sign a waiver? That would be the only way to get my oldest one to go is if his brother could go too (he'd feel too bad for him otherwise).

In my experience, they don't do waivers. They smile, say they're sorry, and stick to the rules. It may be possible, but many younger kids want to do what older kids do. Every cruise would have that downward creeping of ages in each club, in Edge, and in Vibe. Of course once babies in diapers are allowed in the kids clubs, and once 8 year olds are allowed in Edge, and once 12 year olds are allowed in Vibe, the older kids who belong there may not want to go anymore.

It's the same way in the adult areas. Once kids of any age are allowed to linger there, and make noise, and basically act their age, adults won't want to be there. From what I've seen, Disney is pretty strict in the enforcement of these age limits. I have to admit, if bunches of young kids were allowed to be in the adult pool area and the coffee shop and the bars, I'd be reluctant to come back. I love kids, but part of going on a cruise and vacation in general is some time away from them. Similarly, lowering the age limits for the various kids areas would be a slippery slope that the majority of passengers would not like.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
In my experience, they don't do waivers. They smile, say they're sorry, and stick to the rules. It may be possible, but many younger kids want to do what older kids do. Every cruise would have that downward creeping of ages in each club, in Edge, and in Vibe. Of course once babies in diapers are allowed in the kids clubs, and once 8 year olds are allowed in Edge, and once 12 year olds are allowed in Vibe, the older kids who belong there may not want to go anymore.

It's the same way in the adult areas. Once kids of any age are allowed to linger there, and make noise, and basically act their age, adults won't want to be there. From what I've seen, Disney is pretty strict in the enforcement of these age limits. I have to admit, if bunches of young kids were allowed to be in the adult pool area and the coffee shop and the bars, I'd be reluctant to come back. I love kids, but part of going on a cruise and vacation in general is some time away from them. Similarly, lowering the age limits for the various kids areas would be a slippery slope that the majority of passengers would not like.
There was an instance a few years ago where an 18 year old that was, for want of a better term, special, was allowed in the teen clubs. He apparently made some unwanted advances towards a much younger teen girl and the girls parents were none too please with Disney making an exception.

Since then the only overlap I have seen Disney allow for the kids/teen clubs is for 14 year olds.

EOD K9

To add to what @Ralphlaw said about the adult areas.... As long as the child is not lingering, it is not an issue. On the Magic we were on deck 8 and the stairs right there led to the adults only area. We really had no choice if we wanted to go use the stairs there. I'd walk my daughters through or look at the ocean with them, then keep going. I did get a few dirty looks, but we weren't there for more than four minutes. They just don't want it turning into a hangout.

NelleBelle

I get the age restrictions and if my son weren't within a few months of being within his birthday of being at the age of moving up to Edge, I wouldn't even attempt it. But the ages they have all "smooshed" together in the younger kids club is where he feels out of place. He felt that the things that were more geared for his age were always taken up by the "younger" kids. I think both of my kids felt out of place given that they are both very tall for their ages (my now 12 year old is 5'10 and when we cruised last year, everything was sized for much smaller kids). I figure it won't hurt to ask and if he can't move up with his brother, then nothing lost. Chances are, I won't be able to convince them to go anyway. They loved the ship without the kid's club--I just know that they'd have a better experience meeting kids their own ages.

And I didn't mind kids walking through the adults' area when they were quiet. But am kinda curious: what does the ship do for those who are in the adult area but don't meet the age requirement, but "appear" to. I know when I had just turned 21 on my 1st trip to Vegas, I wore an arm band that allowed me to be on the gaming floor without someone constantly harassing me about showing my i.d. I can't imagine Disney does this, do they? I would think that if you look mature and act mature, you could easily be in there?

Oh dear...I just realized I've kinda hijacked the thread :oops: So sorry ya'll!

EOD K9

Oh dear...I just realized I've kinda hijacked the thread :oops: So sorry ya'll!
Ok, I'll get this thread back on track....Yes, the cost of the cruise is crazy. Now, getting back to @NelleBelle I did see a CM question an "adult" and after some gesturing back and forth, the detainee left the area. Now, what they should do is something akin to a state driver license, a mark somewhere on the KTTW card that says they are not yet adults. Or, they can be as blatant as, "UNDER 18". The cost of the cruise is still crazy.

NelleBelle

Shhhh! I agree, but my husband isn't quite aware that other cruise lines are less (he never does the planning, so until I'm ready to try a new line, he won't know until I "share" that little fact with him to convince him that we're "saving" money)!! I would love to be able to do one of the Mediterranean cruises but the cost of any of the European cruises on DCL is just plain nonsense!! We always said we wanted to take the kids to Europe but wanted to wait until they were old enough to 1) walk on their own as we were not about to schlep strollers around Europe on trains, planes, etc. 2) have an attention span greater than a gnat so we could actually spend more than 5 seconds in a museum 3) have an appreciation and memory of the trip. We are about to that point now.

Well, now that tensions overseas being what they are, we aren't that keen on doing a huge extended land tour, so we though that a cruise might actually be a better way to give the kids a little taste of some of the European countries. But yowza! Not sure if this cruise will happen on a DCL! I love DCL but even I, who can usually talk myself into most anything, just can't talk myself into spending that on a cruise when there are other lines that sail for a lot less. Even if we were to take advantage of the onboard future booking discount, that still doesn't put enough of a dent into the $$.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
The cost of DCL is crazy.

I've been cruising with some friends each September for the past few years, and naturally the price creeps up a bit each year, but this year it took a huge leap. If it does the same again next year, I may have to give up the trip or we may have to look at another line.

For the Category 05E aft verandah that I normally book, with 2 people in the room:
2014 $1,478
2015 $1,507 (+$29, probably because I booked onboard)
2016 $1,650 (+143)
2017 $1,942 (+292)

So, for 2017 I stepped it back to an 06A--at $1,878, this is still more than $200 over the cost of last year's cruise. :eek:

jaklgreen

The cost of DCL is crazy.

I've been cruising with some friends each September for the past few years, and naturally the price creeps up a bit each year, but this year it took a huge leap. If it does the same again next year, I may have to give up the trip or we may have to look at another line.

For the Category 05E aft verandah that I normally book, with 2 people in the room:
2014 $1,478
2015 $1,507 (+$29, probably because I booked onboard)
2016 $1,650 (+143)
2017 $1,942 (+292)

So, for 2017 I stepped it back to an 06A--at $1,878, this is still more than $200 over the cost of last year's cruise. :eek:

I agree that the price is going up at too fast of a pace. Especially since my husband's company has not given anybody raises in 4 years(well except the CEOs), they always get their money. I hope that in a few years when the new ships come out that the pricing will even out.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree that the price is going up at too fast of a pace. Especially since my husband's company has not given anybody raises in 4 years(well except the CEOs), they always get their money. I hope that in a few years when the new ships come out that the pricing will even out.
The pricing will go to whatever the market will bear. If a cruise sells out at $2000 one year you can all but guarantee the sucker will be $2400 the next. That cycle will continue until the market pushes back.

jaklgreen

The pricing will go to whatever the market will bear. If a cruise sells out at $2000 one year you can all but guarantee the sucker will be $2400 the next. That cycle will continue until the market pushes back.

Yeah, I don't know how much longer middle class people like us are going to be able to afford this. It is getting too high for the average middle class income. This is so sad.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah, I don't know how much longer middle class people like us are going to be able to afford this. It is getting too high for the average middle class income. This is so sad.
I would complain, but I have to remind myself that, in spite of what my wife thinks, a Disney Cruise is a luxury item and not a necessity of life so they can price it at whatever they want..

jaklgreen

I would complain, but I have to remind myself that, in spite of what my wife thinks, a Disney Cruise is a luxury item and not a necessity of life so they can price it at whatever they want..

Of course, all vacations are a luxury. But life should not be just about work. What is the point of life if not enjoyed every once in a while. Otherwise, what's the point? Just to work and die? Disney sells itself as a family cruise, well people with little kids often struggle with money because kids are so expensive. If you want a luxury line, then do not target families. IMO

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Of course, all vacations are a luxury. But life should not be just about work. What is the point of life if not enjoyed every once in a while. Otherwise, what's the point? Just to work and die? Disney sells itself as a family cruise, well people with little kids often struggle with money because kids are so expensive. If you want a luxury line, then do not target families. IMO
They are targeting families that have a lot of money.;)

jaklgreen

They are targeting families that have a lot of money.;)

Dangit! How to get to be one of those. LOL I can't complain, hubby makes enough for us to live on since we are not big spenders so my money goes to vacations. I think it is how a person chooses to spend their money. My brother makes way more then us but my SIL complains about how they can not afford to go to WDW. She likes to shop and buy new clothes/shoes/purses all the time. Plus they go out all the time to eat and bars. We do none of that so we save all of our pennies for our trips. Another lady I know comes into my work every day, in the morning she gets her coffee and muffin and then comes in for lunch. What she spends in a year just for food at our restaurant, she could easily take a trip.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Dangit! How to get to be one of those. LOL I can't complain, hubby makes enough for us to live on since we are not big spenders so my money goes to vacations. I think it is how a person chooses to spend their money. My brother makes way more then us but my SIL complains about how they can not afford to go to WDW. She likes to shop and buy new clothes/shoes/purses all the time. Plus they go out all the time to eat and bars. We do none of that so we save all of our pennies for our trips. Another lady I know comes into my work every day, in the morning she gets her coffee and muffin and then comes in for lunch. What she spends in a year just for food at our restaurant, she could easily take a trip.
Yep. It is all about priorities when you do not have a 9 digit bank account.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I have experience with just the opposite. We had a child that was a year too young for edge, and had previously done the club/lab and was bored with them. Without hesitation, and without even seeing the child, there was a clipboard and waiver ready to sign saying we would allow the child into the Edge.

When we asked about this PRE-sailing.. they said 'no' and also used the excuse around capacities, etc.. but talking with people they said you can deal with it on embarkment by going to the club itself. Which is exactly what we did, and had no problem at all. I expect Vibe may be more strict, or there may be more screening on why before they might make a decision. But I know for the 'near the line' age for Edge.. it was a ZERO pain issue, except we didn't know either way until we were actually on the ship.

This was in 2013 on the Fantasy.. my kid was 10, and Edge required age 11.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The cost of DCL isn't insane when people are comparing with Disney Deluxe and Moderate stays for a week :)

I've done TRs before outlining my actual total cost of trips. My 7 day trips for a family of 5, in a VERY nice room have been roughly 4200-5500.. with total out of pocket roughly in the 7-8k range for the trip.

Just the tickets for the parks for 7 days is over 2300 dollars. Room is 1000-3000+ more. If you were the insane paying 400-500/night for a deluxe.. the prices go even more crazy.. or if you want more than one room.

Then add in food, activities, etc. DCL is not going to be cheaper except in edge cases.. but you certainly feel very different :)

It's so nice to actually have decent room stewards, impeccable table servers, people willing to serve you without any barrier/concern about burden, top level facilities in terms of upkeep, access, etc. It's a throwback to when you actually felt CATERED TO.. not simply pushed through the trough..

NelleBelle

I have experience with just the opposite. We had a child that was a year too young for edge, and had previously done the club/lab and was bored with them. Without hesitation, and without even seeing the child, there was a clipboard and waiver ready to sign saying we would allow the child into the Edge.

When we asked about this PRE-sailing.. they said 'no' and also used the excuse around capacities, etc.. but talking with people they said you can deal with it on embarkment by going to the club itself. Which is exactly what we did, and had no problem at all. I expect Vibe may be more strict, or there may be more screening on why before they might make a decision. But I know for the 'near the line' age for Edge.. it was a ZERO pain issue, except we didn't know either way until we were actually on the ship.

This was in 2013 on the Fantasy.. my kid was 10, and Edge required age 11.

I am definitely going to have to give this a shot on our cruise. I just can't stand the thought of sending my 10 year old back to the kids club when he was so bored with it last year when he was 9, especially if he is to be separated from his brother (who is his best bud, luckily enough). I'll be prepared for a "no" but this at least gives me a little glimmer of hope :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom