1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Coronado Springs VS. Caribbean Beach

Discussion in 'WDW Trip Planning' started by holleyb, Aug 4, 2009.

1. holleyb

holleyb New Member

We are planning for :xmas:Christmas '09 - YEAH!!:sohappy:
    Grandparents, Parents and two kids (5 & 10) are going, and we are going to be getting two (hopefully adjoining) rooms. We have narrowed it down to staying at CSR or CBR. Anyone have an opinion or advice before we pick one?? Things I'm wondering about are length of time to get a bus and travel distance to resorts ... pool area for kids ... are the rooms more or less the same ... onsite food options ??? Any and all comments would be very helpful!! Thanks!!!

2. disneygirl1

disneygirl1 Well-Known Member

I have stayed at both resorts and have actually stayed at CSR several times... With that said, I favor CSR over CBR... For one, found it easier to get around the resort and the selection of food at CSR to be much better then CBR. I don't think it took us more then 20 minuts top to get to any park and that includes the wait time for a bus. I can not say the same for CBR. Sometimes we waited for close to an hour for a bus to arrive. Know that both resorts are pretty spread out. Personally, I just felt more at home at CSR. I will say this, since you have little ones in tow, if staying at CSR I would request a room in either the Cabanas or the Casitas that way you will be close to ElCento and the bus stop.

We actually were just there is Dec of 2008 and had a great time... CSR is decorated beautifully for the holidays!!! No matter where you choose, have a wonder trip!

3. corey154

corey154 Member

The kids would prob. like CBR theme better. The pools at both are great. I personally like the food at CBR better than CSR, but that's just my opinion. As far as the travel time and buses, i've stayed at both and honestly can't remember any difference in one from the other. I've never stayed at either for Christmas so hopefully some others will chime in and help you out with their opinions. :eek:) Either way, it's a Disney Christmas you can't go wrong!!

Oh one thing I remember about CBR that I didn't like is our room was so far way from everything that we had to walk under a bridge that had a road with lots of traffic to get to the main building. (If you choose there, ask for a close room)

4. DisneysRedHead

DisneysRedHead New Member

Honestly, I might favor CSR over CBR. That being said, the kids actually might like the CBR better, especially if they are fans of Pirates! You can request a pirate themed room and honestly I think they just look like so much fun.

[​IMG]

5. Buzz2001

Buzz2001 Well-Known Member

Very comparable resorts. Both are large, have been recently renovated and have great pools. Check out both well and go with the theme you like best. The pirate rooms cost more than standard rooms.

CSR does have queen beds in the rooms and a few more upgrades over CBR.

6. GoochDSA

GoochDSA Well-Known Member

If your going to stay at a Mod. Resort I'd go with POR. I like the overall layout and options better (i.e. pool, carriage rides, lounge). I stayed there this past New Year's Eve and even though the resort was booked solid, it felt like we were the only ones there.

Between CBR and CSR, it really just depends on your taste. The easiest way to decide is to just sit down with everyone you are taking a trip with and play the Pro Vs. Con game.

7. jcs4evas1298

jcs4evas1298 Member

I have stayed at both and I have to say, I don't even think it's close. CSR is beautiful, I will give it that, but we've stayed there twice and just have not enjoyed it much at all (we prefer the value resorts over it -- and we only gave it a second chance because the first time we stayed there was a week after it opened). Their quick serve restaurant is extremely expensive compared to other resorts (probably because it is not operated by Disney, but by an outside company -- a burger and fries is like 15 bucks and then they force a % gratuity on the whole meal even when all they get you is your drink), you can't control your room temp because of the 'energy miser' system they use (we like our room nice and cold after a long day in the park), and the walk to the front office/restaurants, although a nice stroll if you're looking for one, gets old quick when you just want to go have a quick bite (they do have occasional carts that will bring you, but these tend to run more often when there is a convention, not so much when there isnt). In Feb for our Honeymoon we did 1 week CSR, 1 week POR and we were so happy to get to POR after a week in CSR and we absolutely loved Riverside.

CBR is very nice, and doesn't suffer from the issues I mentioned above (maybe the walk part if you're way in the back... but it's not as bad as CSR). Now, Im not saying CSR is terrible, and maybe for some people it's wonderful if they don't mind those issues, but for us we consider CSR a convention hotel and the other moderates family hotels. The good part of CSR for us: We landed up getting our own Bus a LOT on this past trip because when there was no convention, noone seemed to be staying there. Even the restaurants were usually empty. Whether thats a plus or a minus for the resort I dont know... :lookaroun

Overall I'd recommend POR, it's our favorite resort. But CBR is a great option too!

8. lisa2465

lisa2465 Member

I stayed at CBR last year, and never had a problem. You can ask for a room close to Old Port Royale which is where the main pool and food court are. I stayed in the Barbados units which was about a 5 min walk to OPR. I always caught the bus at OPR and never waited more then 10 mins.

I know ohter people have had terrible times waiting for buses, I guess it just depends on the time of year that you go (I was their in Nov-Dec time frame).

I have never stayed at CSR, but I am sure it is just as nice. Good luck with your decision, no matter where you stay I am sure you will have a great time:sohappy:

9. Disneykidder

Disneykidder Well-Known Member

I have stayed in both so I can tell you my opinions but you are really going to get votes for both. I suggest you go on the web sites for both and look at amenities of each. Show your kids and have them choose which one they prefer. I usually do that with my boy.

To be honest, you can't go wrong at either. Keep in mind that they are both huge resorts...much larger than POR. But, try to make a decision as soon as possible as hotels book quickly for the holidays. I'd hate for you to be closed out of the one you really want. Oh, both are amazing during the holidays, too.:)

10. eroyee

eroyee Active Member

First of all, welcome fellow Michigander. we are from south of Lansing. Our fave moderate resort is POR but since you asked about the others I would choose CBR because of the kids. There are several bus stops there and none are far away from your rooms. We love the food court there. they have a good selection. Its so colorful and they just refurbished the main pool. To us, CSR is a convention resort for mostly adults, but thats just my opinion.....