Coronado Springs Sept 01-13 2016 worst stay in 22 years

Halleann

I'm a little late to the thread, but you should definitely send in your complaint. Be as specific as you can and explain how this incident took away from your overall Disney experience. Disney does take your complaints serious. Also, if you have a complaint don't wait till you check out, do it right away as they can "do more for you," like extra FP's for your party for the rest of your stay. Sorry your stay was less than magical!

Johnguelff

10% of your room rate? Like, per night? So, like, I pay $300 to stay at a hotel for 7 nights, and I tip the maids $210? Are you on crack cocaine?
Lol, nope. just red bull. Well, ALDI brand red bull. I'm cheap. Not as cheap as some apparently. Who doesn't leave gratuity for someone cleaning up after them? They make minimum wage.

Greenlawler

Stayed at CS several times, our favorite mod. We have had negative experiences at POR but never CS.

When did leaving a tip become standard fare? Serious question. I don't think I even thought about tipping the maid service until like a few years ago. When we started tipping it's like $5 a day or we leave $25 at the end of our stay. I would bet at least 50% of guest don't even tip.

steviej

well considering I usually stay at DVC resorts, thank God I never leave a tip :hilarious: (despite what my wife says, I am NOT cheap! I'm financially conservative. There's a world of difference)

I think the OP is in the right to be angry. Look, why do we always go back to Disney World? It doesn't matter how many times we go on the same rides, the Haunted Mansion is always Haunted, IASW is always small. And the father will always burn the darn turkey on xmas eve. So why on earth do we keep going back when there's "other places in the world to go to"? (I am so sick of that question)

The service! We, the consumer, hold Disney to a certain criteria when it comes to service. We expect to be treated a certain way in every aspect, from the way our rooms look, to the way every cm talks to us.

And that's what Walt wanted! In anything he set out to do, he wanted to be the best in the world at what he did. And he didn't feel any differently when it came to his parks!

So to the OP, I'm on your side, and please reach out to the WDC, I promise you they'd want to know that they didn't live up to your expectations.

21stamps

Five dollars per day as I am a cheapskate. Should be five to ten percent of your room rate.
5-10% of your room rate????
I think most people do leave something. But 10% of your room rate? That's wild.
Agree!!! And I'm a good tipper! That's just insane.
I don't either, but ever since I married someone in the service industry, my tips have mysteriously gone up everywhere.:(:(
I can't leave a $50-$70 tip a day sorry. Absolute craziness.
Stayed at CS several times, our favorite mod. We have had negative experiences at POR but never CS.

When did leaving a tip become standard fare? Serious question. I don't think I even thought about tipping the maid service until like a few years ago. When we started tipping it's like $5 a day or we leave $25 at the end of our stay. I would bet at least 50% of guest don't even tip.
Tipping housekeeping has always been standard etiquette, at any hotel which provides maid service. At least in my entire lifetime.

I'm probably going to get skewered, but I haven't heard of tipping housekeeping. I'm sure they arent paid as well as they should be, but I'm already dropping 300-500 a night to a company making millions I think we should be pressing them to pay better. If we tip those who give us clean towels and make beds shouldn't we tip the garbage men? I produce drug free beef. Anyone who purchases wants it as cheap as possible. No tips. And I've broken bones! That being said I will probably tip now if that is custom. Just surprised me. I apologize if I steered this thread off topic. Also, we've never had housekeeping issues but we usually keep it pretty clean. Just towels and bed.

21stamps

I'm probably going to get skewered, but I haven't heard of tipping housekeeping. I'm sure they arent paid as well as they should be, but I'm already dropping 300-500 a night to a company making millions I think we should be pressing them to pay better. If we tip those who give us clean towels and make beds shouldn't we tip the garbage men? I produce drug free beef. Anyone who purchases wants it as cheap as possible. No tips. And I've broken bones! That being said I will probably tip now if that is custom. Just surprised me. I apologize if I steered this thread off topic. Also, we've never had housekeeping issues but we usually keep it pretty clean. Just towels and bed.

Surprisingly, I don't think you are the only one who hasn't heard about it, I've read a few others online say the same.

It's just always been a rule of etiquette, housekeepers are not officially "tipped positions" anywhere that I know of, but it's just known/taught to tip them. The same way you tip a bag handler or a tour guide.

When it comes to paying higher prices for a hotel..It's like going to a restaurant, would you tip less when you order an expensive meal? Or because you didn't order a refill and only used one plate?

What I don't agree with is a percentage of your room, $5 per day is pretty standard, but that can vary up or down. You're always free to tip more if you feel they did more, or something special, but it would be kind of mean to not tip just because they did their normal duties.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

What I don't agree with is a percentage of your room, $5 per day is pretty standard, but that can vary up or down. You're always free to tip more if you feel they did more, or something special, but it would be kind of mean to not tip just because they did their normal duties.

I agree -- I've always read that the standard is $1-$2 per person in the room, per day. (However, I confess that I've only tipped housekeeping in the last few years -- I, too, didn't learn that it was a standard practice until more recently.) We leave $5/day for our family (we are very neat -- we even make our own beds much of the time), and we leave $10 on the last day since that housekeeper will be "turning over the room" for the next guests.

We tip even when we've gotten bad housekeeping service -- in fact, the tip usually seems to guarantee that the service will improve the next day. The women who perform these jobs don't have an easy life (we once had a housekeeper enter the room at the same time I was leaving to check out, and she reacted with such genuine joy and thanks to the few dollars we had left on the dresser that I felt ashamed that I hadn't left more), and when I'm in my happy vacation mindset, I can't bring myself to get too upset if somebody forgets to empty a trash can or leaves a hair on the floor. (Perhaps if the lapses were more egregious, like what the OP describes, with the housekeeper actually causing disarray without doing much else, I might call the front desk to ask for a re-cleaning or even a different housekeeper, but thankfully it's never been that bad for us.)

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

I would agree the housekeeping service was lacking, but if there was good trick or treat candy on the floor, why would the housekeeping pick that up?

The way I read the OP's post, I thought the implication was that the housekeeper had knocked the bag of candy all over the floor and didn't pick it back up... I had this mental picture of the OP and her family returning to their room and reenacting paraphrased scenes from Goldilocks and the Three Bears... "Somebody didn't make our beds... somebody knocked down all our decorations... Somebody touched my bag of candy, and spilled it all over the floor!"

Last edited:

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
I tipped at POR and barely got anything above a folded washcloth placed over the faucet. Grand delusions of Pinterest I guess had me thinking otherwise...... But it won't stop me from tipping at a WDW resort. I just won't expect anything additional.

And I certainly wasn't tipping a percentage of my room cost. That is out of my budget on a normal month.

Jess G

If I have the singles on me or a 5 I will leave it for housekeeping. I have never noticed a difference with service with or without the tip. of 7 nights I end up leaving a tip 3/4 times. I don't like the idea of leaving a bigger tip at the end because its not guaranteed that the same person cleaning your hotel room this whole time is going to be the one turning the room over at the end of a stay.... people do have days off.

Cowboy Steve

Yeah I am new to the whole tipping housekeeping thing as well. I had heard of tipping housekeeping on a cruise ship, but I have never been on a cruise... so...

To be honest, the first time I had heard of tipping housekeeping was a few years ago on a nationally syndicated morning show (Bob and Tom rock!). Prior to that, I had honestly never heard of it. Then again, prior to the internet, most of my stays were at Motel 6 or Knights Inn... lol... as that was about all I could afford.

What is weird is, on my last business trip to California, I stayed at a very nice Marriott, and I was given the option to skip the housekeeping for up to 3 days. As I am not a slob, and only change my home sheets and towels once a week anyway, I opted to skip the housekeeping for my 3 nights, and left a $5 tip the morning I checked out.

On our last trip to Disney I did leave $5 a night for housekeeping. I figured that would ensure my toothbrush didn't end up in any orifice it didn't belong... :D

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom