News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, June 2. The trees and vegetation between the former lobby bus transportation stop and the first set of buildings (Casitas) have been removed. Grading of the site has leveled the ground.

IMG_9644.JPG

Here is the back side of bus transportation stop 1, which used to have lush vegetation hiding the main building.

IMG_9655.JPG

IMG_9649.JPG

Over at La Marina (the round building), a new wooden bridge will cross the lake, providing a short cut to the existing bridge to the feature pool area and Casita buildings. When completed, this may be the "replacement" for the current concrete bridge, which may be blocked in the future as it is very close to the tower construction area.

IMG_9647.JPG

IMG_9656.JPG

The view from the opposite side of the lake, looking back towards the round La Marina building (behind the backhoe). On the right are pilings for the wooden bridge.

IMG_9654.JPG

Pedro Soto

Thanks for the update, I doubt that bridge will be complete when we arrive in 2 weeks and arent they making a new front bus stop??

djkidkaz

Photo update as of Friday, June 2. The trees and vegetation between the former lobby bus transportation stop and the first set of buildings (Casitas) have been removed. Grading of the site has leveled the ground.

View attachment 207986

Here is the back side of bus transportation stop 1, which used to have lush vegetation hiding the main building.

View attachment 207987

View attachment 207988

Over at La Marina (the round building), a new wooden bridge will cross the lake, providing a short cut to the existing bridge to the feature pool area and Casita buildings. When completed, this may be the "replacement" for the current concrete bridge, which may be blocked in the future as it is very close to the tower construction area.

View attachment 207989

View attachment 207990

The view from the opposite side of the lake, looking back towards the round La Marina building (behind the backhoe). On the right are pilings for the wooden bridge.

View attachment 207991

Have you been over to CBR yet for photos? That place looks in shambles when I drive by.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Sunday, June 18. The new bridge across the narrow part of the lake is a floating, pontoon bridge. While not yet open, it appears it could be ready for opening this week.

IMG_9755.JPG

IMG_9746.JPG

IMG_9745.JPG

The former Bus Stop Number 1 (at the end of the lobby building) has been demolished. This was the circular waiting area (roof is gone) that had benches along the walls.

IMG_9744.JPG

IMG_9754.JPG

Construction activity in the "tower" area.

IMG_9751.JPG

IMG_9753.JPG

Finally, while all this other work was on-going, the lobby porte' cochere has been totally repainted in a new scheme; muted blue with gold accents. The tower on the right side of the photo provides an idea of the original colors.

IMG_9742.JPG

Last edited:

DisneyGigi

This is going to be a beautiful resort when completed. Not that it wasn't to begin with.. I just don't see this as being affordable when it is all said and done.
Definitely don't think it will be in the moderate price range. Kind of wish, we had still been staying there again for our upcoming trip, but going Old Key West for our extended family just made more sense. I always felt that Coronado was overlooked, especially with the fireworks view from the bridge area. That was our hidden gem the past few years.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I'm glad they are putting a restaurant that is more centralized in this resort. In this case,it is literally in the center. One of my complaints with CSR was that everything was located in the El Centro area, which was not as "el centro" as it sounds. When staying in the Ranchos section, the commute to El Centro was pretty lengthy.

In regards to the Moderate vs Deluxe categories, I wonder if Disney is trying to do away with these categories by resort. Instead, they seem to be combining the two having a Deluxe aspect as well as a Moderate aspect. I'm pretty sure their pricing will reflect this as well. To stay in the shiny new tower, you are going to have to buck up, while to stay at those "old-fashioned" motel-type rooms, it will be a little bit cheaper.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wonder if Disney is trying to do away with these categories by resort.

Rumor is that is definitely a plan, no more tiers based on the designation of value, moderate, and deluxe.

Which, to me, makes sense. In this age of internet searches with many filters, using those designations isn't as helpful as it once was when printed in brochures.

DisneyGigi

I'm glad they are putting a restaurant that is more centralized in this resort. In this case,it is literally in the center. One of my complaints with CSR was that everything was located in the El Centro area, which was not as "el centro" as it sounds. When staying in the Ranchos section, the commute to El Centro was pretty lengthy.

In regards to the Moderate vs Deluxe categories, I wonder if Disney is trying to do away with these categories by resort. Instead, they seem to be combining the two having a Deluxe aspect as well as a Moderate aspect. I'm pretty sure their pricing will reflect this as well. To stay in the shiny new tower, you are going to have to buck up, while to stay at those "old-fashioned" motel-type rooms, it will be a little bit cheaper.
I never got that this resort was that much of a walk from anywhere. We walk the whole thing over and over. If you can't walk that, how do you do the parks? We are walkers, I guess, but that walk around is a breeze, I always thought.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I never got that this resort was that much of a walk from anywhere. We walk the whole thing over and over. If you can't walk that, how do you do the parks? We are walkers, I guess, but that walk around is a breeze, I always thought.

It wasn't necessarily the distance as much as the convenience that was the issue. When we got back from a long day in the parks and wanted to grab a quick drink using the Rapid Fill Mugs, you have to make the walk all the way to the El Centro area (and back). If the Siesta Cantina (pool bar) didn't close at 5:00, it wouldn't have been that much of an issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom