News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

rushtest4echo

It's cheaper to build 2-4 stories than a 20 story building. If they built Pop and All Stars as towers they would not be value resorts. If land is available and cheap then build low otherwise you have to build high. There are other considerations but in general.

I'd assume in Florida with the lack of earthquake codes that going taller is likely cheaper than most other cases- though I'm sure you're right and that it is more expensive overall for construction costs. However, landscaping, bus service, elevators, parking, roads, security, housekeeping, power, plumping, weatherproofing, roofing and other maintenance things are much more costly when spread out the way that many Disney resorts are. I'm positive that room for room, something like Grand Floridian's DVC tower is cheaper to operate for 20 years than something at CBR once all costs are factored in. Which is funny, considering the pricing/profit margins between them.

I'd be interest to see any hard numbers on this though. If it's truly more expensive to go vertical (when all costs are factored), why are they doing this now in an era of cost cutting at every corner?

frankc

I'd assume in Florida with the lack of earthquake codes that going taller is likely cheaper than most other cases- though I'm sure you're right and that it is more expensive overall for construction costs. However, landscaping, bus service, elevators, parking, roads, security, housekeeping, power, plumping, weatherproofing, roofing and other maintenance things are much more costly when spread out the way that many Disney resorts are. I'm positive that room for room, something like Grand Floridian's DVC tower is cheaper to operate for 20 years than something at CBR once all costs are factored in. Which is funny, considering the pricing/profit margins between them.

I'd be interest to see any hard numbers on this though. If it's truly more expensive to go vertical (when all costs are factored), why are they doing this now in an era of cost cutting at every corner?
I can only assume the quality, and quantity the land chosen is a factor.

Epcot82Guy

I am very torn on this one. CSR is one of my favorites. The existing rooms (especially the bathrooms) need a refresh desperately. This announcement makes clear why that has been delayed. As for the tower, I'm not totally against it. But, the scale is hugely concerning for me. The seclusion of CSR and the peacefulness walking along the water is why that resort remains a favorite. Adding a tower next to El Centro doesn't actually destroy that for me. However, adding a 500 room, 15 story tower does.

To run some comparables to Disney towers elsewhere (noting most are not directly on top of other resort areas, aside from the WDW Swan - and it even has a waterway between it).
-Bay Lake Tower - 15 stories at the top of the decorative elements. 428 rooms over 13 floors of rooms and 3 wings. (Noting the 1br and 2br layouts really aren't common in hotels of this nature, so I would count those as 2 rooms for a tradition hotel.)
-WDW Swan - approximately 17 stories at the top (not including the Swans). 758 rooms over 11 floors of rooms plus 2 wings with 5 floors of rooms.
-Wyndham Lake Buena Vista - 20 stories at the top (from the ground floor, not the driveway). 232 rooms (tower only) over 12 floors of rooms.

The CSR Tower appears to have rooms over 12, maybe 13 stories. So, the best comparison would be either the Swan's main tower or Bay Lake Tower with one wing "unfolded" right along the lakefront. (Assuming there aren't wings behind the CSR tower as well). That just seems incredibly jarring. Especially when you think the main buildings of the Boardwalk at their tallest are approximately 8 stories (top of the roof, not guest floors).

Siren

WOW!!! Beautiful!!! It looks just like the Four Seasons with no balconies.

1625o1u.jpg

2hz1jwn.jpg

mm121

It may be surprising how much of WDW (and non-WDW) you don't want to see from the top of 15 stories. Coronado's location provides a totally different vantage point than BLT or the top floor of CR; catching a glimpse of the Golden Corral and traffic on 530 might actually be possible.

that just gives them a reason to charge extra for the "non golden corral" view

Next Big Thing

Um, I just booked a tower room at Cabana Bay for about $140. A mini suite was $170.
Yes, they have "tower" rooms within the initial resort that was built at that price. I've stayed in them, they're nice. These two glass towers are what I am talking about. The first day they are taking guests is April 28th with prices at $400-$500/night.

C2Jr8YYW8AEiR6-.jpg

rushtest4echo

Yes, they have "tower" rooms within the initial resort that was built at that price. I've stayed in them, they're nice. These two glass towers are what I am talking about. The first day they are taking guests is April 28th with prices at $400-$500/night.

C2Jr8YYW8AEiR6-.jpg

$400-$500 a night for something a bit above Art of Animation's family suites? Okay...

Those towers are the ugliest thing's Universal's ever done to a property of theirs- that is until they do Hotel Aventura. Those towers look nothing like Cabana Bay (though they're not done, maybe they can work miracles and I'm sure they'll be theme appropriate inside). They're also obviously going to clash like mad with Volcano Bay.

It's heartening to know Universal plays a (distant) second fiddle to Disney in fans hearts, even with Potter and the recent additions- because there isn't 30 pages of people freaking out over how badly integrated these towers are for both the resort as a whole and the new water park. There is, of course, a 10 page discussion here and I'm sure it's going to trend toward how it's going to lead WDW into oblivion. :)

Last edited:

*Q*

C2Jr8YYW8AEiR6-.jpg
Those $400-$500 rooms are suites that sleep up to eight people, though. There are normal rooms in those new towers that go for like $200-$250.

Also, the new towers open March 28th.

rushtest4echo

Those $400-$500 rooms are suites that sleep up to eight people, though. There are normal rooms in those new towers that go for like $200-$250.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. Makes more sense. It seems like Cabana Bay's pricing leans a bit closer to the high end of Disney's value offerings and these towers will up that by a bit- despite the offerings remaining somewhere between moderate and value. Are they improving the resort elsewhere? When I toured the place right after opening, I didn't much care for the theme, layout, appointments or much else (seemed like an upgraded Pop Century). In fact- I think I'll refer to Cabana Bay as Pop Century Plus going forward. :)

Next Big Thing

Hey, i'm not knocking the rooms, the park facing rooms should have an incredible view. If you go back, this started because of a price comparison so this was the first thing that popped to mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom