1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Copper Creek Villas Point Information Is In

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Club' started by flyerjab, Mar 1, 2017.

1. xdan0920

xdan0920 Think for yourselfer Premium Member

It's a lot of money and a lot of points. I have 170 points. Old *** points from when OKW first opened. My dues are around $1000 a year. I'd have to bank and borrow to get 5 nights in one of these. So 3 years worth of points for 5 nights. $3000 worth of dues.

The cabins are quite nice, but are they that nice?

2. raven

raven Well-Known Member

With IKEA-type furnishings? Spend your points elsewhere.
    They seem to be Disney's new target audience. This just backs up that theory.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords likes this.
  3. xdan0920

I actually think the Cabins look good. I like the table, the counter top, the fireplace. They hit the mark for me. The studios and 1 and 2 bedrooms though, are a disaster.

4. flynnibus

flynnibus Well-Known Member

I think they are nice looking and interesting.. I just can't even begin to justify that kind of cost with how I value my dollars. $5k for the room, plus what.. $500/head for tickets? and then incidentals?? I make good money.. but for my family of 5... that means $7500+ just to get in the door. Too rich for how I like to spend money...

xdan0920 likes this.
  5. xdan0920

I agree. It's too much for me, I guess there is some non-zero number of Disney nuts who will pay it though.

flynnibus likes this.
  6. stretchsje

stretchsje Well-Known Member

Why are Grand Villas 2.7 times cost of two-bedroom villas? Other resorts have priced Grand Villas at more per square foot compared to the smaller units, which I already don't understand, but Copper Creek amplifies this trend.

For a week during Magic Season, a studio is 127, a 2BR unit is 350, and the Grand Villa is 936 points. Those rooms take up 1, 3, and 6 "blocks" of space respectively. So priced per square foot based on a Studio as a baseline, we'd expect them to be 127, 127x3=381, and 127x6=762. In reality, the larger rooms probably cost less to run as they have less appliances per sq ft and there are less check in/out to handle if everyone consolidates to one unit. Instead the Grand Villa costs as much as 7.3 studios or 2.67 2BR units.

Compare this to a week at Bay Lake, where a studio is 153 points, 2BR villa 386, and Grand Villa 882. Grand Villas are 2.28 times more expensive than a pair of 2BR units compared to 2.67 times more expensive at Copper Creek, or 5.7 times more expensive than a Studio versus Copper Creek's multiple of 7.3.

Let's look at Animal Kingdom. Studios are 139, 2BR 372, and GV's 767. Grand Villas cost as much as 2.06 2BR villas or 5.51 studios.

I know Old Key West is an outlier in the other direction with its cheap 3BR units, but that's what makes them so nice. The Animal Kingdom is close to parity per square foot versus the 2BR units and less per square foot compared to a studio, and those rooms are pretty lavish. Whatever they're doing to make the larger rooms trend more expensive per square foot at newer resorts is something I don't want. Our large family trips will have to be in multiple 2BR units instead of a Grand Villa, which means not eating breakfast in one big common area. Frankly, I'd be fine with a more minimalist 3BR or even 4BR option to accommodate this.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    xdan0920 likes this.
  7. Phonedave

Phonedave Well-Known Member

We looked at the rooms and points last night. the decision was: nope.

We don't have any desire to stay in the Studio / 1BR / 2BR with they way they are themed/decorated, and the points for a cabin are astronomical. We are a family of 5, and there are two friends that do travel with us fairly often, but even with the 7 of us going, the cabins are just too point pricey. I do like the way they look, the amenities, and the location, but not for 700 a week.

So, sorry DVC, we are going to put Copper Creek on the list of places we will not be using our points in the near future.

-dave

8. Lets Respect

Lets Respect Well-Known Member

That picture where you are looking at them from the lake....they look like they are in water. Too low. At least the Poly bungalows look like they are higher up

9. raven

raven Well-Known Member

You can get the same size villa with the same amenities and very stylish furnishings for less than 1/2 the cost at several properties outside of Disney. Most of what you are paying for these new Villas is the privilege of simply staying there. So they will charge wahetever they feel like knowing that if they keep raising prices there are still people who are dumb enough to fall for it.

10. EOD K9

EOD K9 Well-Known Member

I haven't been to the preview center at SSR in years. Do they have the old rooms that they used to show mocked up or do they have a mock up in the actual preview center?

11. Seanual757

Seanual757 Well-Known Member

Going to look at them with our DVC sales guide after we check into Polly on 3/19.

12. captainkidd

captainkidd Well-Known Member

Obviously the Cabins are on the water. In regards to Copper Creek Studios and Villas, are they all converted rooms from the Lodge main building? Are there any located in Boulder Creek, or is that all the original VWL? Lastly, if CCV are all in the main building, how many rooms did the Lodge lose?

13. captainkidd

Am I reading that the Cabins are 700 points a week compared to the Poly bungalows being around 1,200?

14. TheGuyThatMakesSwords

TheGuyThatMakesSwords Active Member

EVERYTHING except the Cabins came out of the Main WL Building. The entire South side. Copper Creek is a new DVC offering - NONE of the rooms have anything to do with Bolder Ridge. The only effect CCV has on BRV is in the area of "shared facilities".

WL has lost (on paper) about 1/2 of it's Rental capacity. I say "on paper" because the Copper Creek DVC rooms will not sell out instantaneously :). Until they do? WDW owns those points. And they will rent the rooms.

15. captainkidd

Ridiculous.

And add me to the list that hates the look of the rooms. I'll take Boulder Ridge anyday.

16. DVC Mike

DVC Mike Well-Known Member

This diagram shows where the BRV and CCV are.

MapExplain.jpg

17. squidward

squidward Well-Known Member

Thanks for that map.

Jeez, they really killed about half the Lodge. So sad.

18. squidward

I used to go back and forth on whether DVC would be a good idea for me and my family. Now, I feel silly for ever thinking about it. Granted, the Cabins and Bungalows are extreme examples, but seriously, you are spot on. Just to buy in to the cabins for 1 week would be over $123,000, plus $5,000 in dues.

Dues alone - $733 per night to stay in a cabin based on owning 1 week.
    And if you want to be kind and pretend that a buyer pays for the points outright instead of financing, dues never increase and in addition to the $733 per night in dues, let's add on another $500 per night for a round number on the buy in price, you're talking 35 years of full week stays in the cabins averaging out to $1,233 per night to "break even". Jeez, to hell with trying to figure out the bungalows.

19. squidward

I envy you. You must be extremely wealthy.

20. LAKid53

LAKid53 Well-Known Member

I doubt if many will purchase points sufficient for a week's stay.

I'm considering either 175 or 200 points. At $7.33 per point, my dues would be either $1,283 or $1,466.