Contemporary Fishing Excursions--which marina?

CJ @ Disney

Original Poster
I was always under the impression that guided bass excursions left directly from the Contemporary. Is that not the case?

I am staying at the Contemporary and just booked a bass fishing excursion. I was told to secure my own transportation to Fort Wilderness marina to meet my guide and bass boat.

I emphasized I was staying at the Contemporary and wanted to board my boat at the Contemporary marina, but was told that wasn't an option. All guided bass boats for the Magic Kingdom area leave the Fort Wilderness marina.

Not a huge deal, but not quite as convenient as walking out the backdoor of the Contemporary and getting on a boat.

Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
The Website shows multiple departure locations but it might be a matter of staffing and equipment positioning. Its not a difficult journey by launch, just go out to the dock and hop on a blue flag boat.

MaryJaneP

We were also confused by the statement the OP was give to secure own transportation to Fort Wilderness marina as networkpro states above that there are launches that run regularly from CR to FW. One of our greatest recreational activities is to ride these launches (free) and walk around other resorts. Return to origin by another launch. We ask what time would be best to be "on the dock" waiting for return launch. Water, wind, wanderlust. Does it get any better than this?

Tom 55

Did that in 2008. We met the guide at Contemporary and then he took us the GF to fish under the docks there before going by Discovery Island and fishing over there. Here are some pictures of the kids catching fish and the guide we had. Was a very good time. We had done this before. In 2004 we went out of PORS and fished down the river to the docks at Downtown Disney. Wife caught a 6 -7 lbs bass.

Attachments

• 05-16-2008_051.JPG
    05-16-2008_051.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 05-16-2008_067.JPG
    05-16-2008_067.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 51

CJ @ Disney

Original Poster
You departed directly from the Contemporary, and that makes the most sense to me. I may call Disney back to see why in the world they would want ME to travel to Ford Wilderness to get on a fishing boat that could just as easily come to me at the Contemporary. Maybe I just had an uninformed cast member on the phone. I also wonder if I could just correct this at the concierge desk when I arrive that week.

GREAT photos BTW. We are very excited. After many trips to WDW, this fishing excursion will be a totally NEW experience for us.

dreamfinder

We were also confused by the statement the OP was give to secure own transportation to Fort Wilderness marina as networkpro states above that there are launches that run regularly from CR to FW.

Because WDW isn't providing transport from the Contemporary to FW as part of the booking. Yes there is free transportation available, but the OP needs to get from A to B however they see fit, as it's not provided with the reservation.

Maybe I just had an uninformed cast member on the phone. I also wonder if I could just correct this at the concierge desk when I arrive that week.

I wouldn't wait until you get there. If the CM on the phone was indeed incorrect and booked the wrong location, waiting until you arrive could mean that the desired location is all booked. While the Disney difference should mean that the boat/CM should just stop by and pick you up on the way out, I wouldn't count on them being able to/offering to do it.

CJ @ Disney

Original Poster
As a follow-up, I called Disney back and scheduled our launch from Contemporary Resort rather than Wilderness Lodge. The Cast Member who helped me stated that the previous Cast Member may have been inexperienced with scheduling fishing excursions and understanding the different options from where they could launch. All fixed! Thanks for the responses.

John park hopper

I have BoatU.S. towing service on my boat and they put out a boating mag the Dec edition has a complete write up on fishing at WDW very informative. Never knew they had guided fishing

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Ive done two or three excursions. Totally worth the cost and way too cool to be catching fish after fish with the views to be had.

CJ @ Disney

Original Poster
A follow up by the OP: We were picked up at the Contemporary right on time. Four of us fished for two hours and caught so many bass we lost count!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Question. Does the guide help you unhook each fish so you can throw it back? Or do they have a setup so the fish can be cleaned and descaled and packed in ice for your consumption? I'm not sure I want to eat any fish from that Lagoon.

I've seen folks fishing over by the canal for the water parade boats as I passed overhead on the monorail.

CJ @ Disney

Original Poster
It's all catch and release. You keep no fish. The guide drives the boat, baits every hook, nets all fish, and removes all fish from the hooks. If you want your friends/family to take photos, s/he'll hand you the fish to hold by the lip then ask you to put it back in the water afterwards. If you don't want photos, you don't have to touch anything but the fishing pole.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom