Contemporary Arcade

DRJJH1

Original Poster
Does anybody remember the old auto racing game that used plastic overlays for the scenery at the Contemporary arcade back in the late 1970s? I belive that they were yellow and red cars that raced eachother.. From what I remember it was pretty primitive on today's videogame standards but cutting edge at the time...I was just four years old when we (my family) stayed at the Contemporary. I remember being fasicinated by the game but I was too little to play. This was on our first family vacation to WDW, many more followed, but by the time we returend the game was no where to be seen. I have a vague memory of the game but for whatever reason it has stuck in my head all these years. If anyone who played the game, remembers what it was called, or anything like that could provide me with some info I would love to hear it...I know it's just dumb curiosity but I can't help it...

Thanks alot
Jeff Hamilton

Frees Fan

DRJJH1 said:
Does anybody remember the old auto racing game that used plastic overlays for the scenery at the Contemporary arcade back in the late 1970s? I belive that they were yellow and red cars that raced eachother.. From what I remember it was pretty primitive on today's videogame standards but cutting edge at the time...I was just four years old when we (my family) stayed at the Contemporary. I remember being fasicinated by the game but I was too little to play. This was on our first family vacation to WDW, many more followed, but by the time we returend the game was no where to be seen. I have a vague memory of the game but for whatever reason it has stuck in my head all these years. If anyone who played the game, remembers what it was called, or anything like that could provide me with some info I would love to hear it...I know it's just dumb curiosity but I can't help it...

Thanks alot
Jeff Hamilton

Hey Jeff! It seems to me that I remember a racing game like the one you described. This one was a slot racing game and featured the track under a plexiglass cover. I've always been a car freak and usually love those types of games. I can't help you on the name or any additional information but, I think I know what you're talking about. Also, do you remember the HUGE pinball machine they had? That was really wild! God I miss those days! :lol: :lol:

DRJJH1

Original Poster
I remember the arcade shooting gallery... They had a peticular target that if you shot it, a guy to play a paino. I saw many simular shooting gallerys at different theme parks like six flags but the Contemporary's was the best...

Zed

Hopefully this site has a pic, and description of the racing game you were looking for. Scroll down to the Driving Games (Electro Mechanical Car/Motorcycle) section and click away. This site also has alot of pics and stuff from same type of mechanical games/machines from the old Penny Arcade on Main Street at MK.

http://marvin3m.com/arcade/

I remember the shooting range/gallery at Contemporary too(Boardwalk and Baseball had a cool one too), they have a shooting gallery at Outdoor World at Festival Bay down on International Drive here in Orlando that does various things when you hit the targets too.

Here's another link if any of you are looking for any types of classic to current video arcade games.

http://www.coinop.org/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom