Contacting a specific engineer at Disney?

Lunair

Original Poster
Hi All,

Let me start by apologizing if this is posted in the incorrect forums. If it is, feel free to move it or I can delete the thread and post elsewhere.

As the topic suggests, I am wondering if there is a way to contact a specific engineer working in Walt Disney Creative Entertainment. Is there somebody I can contact that can forward an email? The reason I ask is that I have stumbled upon an article on fabricating costume components for the Festival of Fantasy parade. It's an interesting read if you are curious:

http://tyrannyofstyle.com/mirena-rada-3d-printing-disney-costumes

In particular, I am wanting to contact Lisa Hanusiak (Materials & Process Engineer). I am a Materials Science and Engineering undergraduate graduating in May and I have always loved the idea of having a career at Disney. I thought my major was a poor fit, but this article has shown me that there is a possibility for materials engineering at Disney. I want to contact Lisa professionally to discuss a potential career in this field but I cannot find her contact information. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rinx

While I cannot help you with your specific question, I do have some insight that may possibly help you get your foot in the door. Disney offers professional engineering internships. I recommend looking into that. I know of someone who started as a professional intern in mechanical engineering and got hired full time at the completion of the internship. Personally, I applied for a mechanical engineering internship but did not get it. It has become EXTREMELY competitive. What I did do was another DCP. That's an easy way for anyone to get their foot in the door. You can do it after you graduate as long as you apply whilst still enrolled and taking classes. Once you're in, if you're very serious, network, network, NETWORK! I participated in a day long EnginEARring Day at MK. It was for people on the DCP. Near the end of the day everyone took a test and had a chance to meet with Dept. heads of all areas of Imagineering to talk with them and give them your resume. One kid, in all honesty, did so well on the test he was offered an internship at the conclusion of this event.

There are options so do your research and find what path is best for you!

Lunair

Original Poster
While I cannot help you with your specific question, I do have some insight that may possibly help you get your foot in the door. Disney offers professional engineering internships. I recommend looking into that. I know of someone who started as a professional intern in mechanical engineering and got hired full time at the completion of the internship. Personally, I applied for a mechanical engineering internship but did not get it. It has become EXTREMELY competitive. What I did do was another DCP. That's an easy way for anyone to get their foot in the door. You can do it after you graduate as long as you apply whilst still enrolled and taking classes. Once you're in, if you're very serious, network, network, NETWORK! I participated in a day long EnginEARring Day at MK. It was for people on the DCP. Near the end of the day everyone took a test and had a chance to meet with Dept. heads of all areas of Imagineering to talk with them and give them your resume. One kid, in all honesty, did so well on the test he was offered an internship at the conclusion of this event.

There are options so do your research and find what path is best for you!

Thanks for the information! That EnginEARing Day sounds incredible. The professional engineering internship is actually the reason why I was researching costume development at WDW. There is currently an opening for a costuming materials engineer that I will definitely be applying for. The only problem is that my major (Materials Science and Engineering) is very research-heavy and we do not get a lot of experience on the industry, hands-on field of materials engineering. From the "basic requirements" in the professional internship, it sounds like they want someone with more of that hands-on experience rather than research background. So even though I would work my ears off and learn the trade as quickly as I can, I might not look very good on paper currently. This is why I am hoping to network and contact a current materials engineer at Disney to get any information on a career path and hopefully get my name out there as more than just a resume applicant.

As for the DCP, I am strongly considering it. I'm already asked twelve times a visit whether or not I'm a cast member, so maybe I should finally become one! ;)

Rinx

Thanks for the information! That EnginEARing Day sounds incredible. The professional engineering internship is actually the reason why I was researching costume development at WDW. There is currently an opening for a costuming materials engineer that I will definitely be applying for. The only problem is that my major (Materials Science and Engineering) is very research-heavy and we do not get a lot of experience on the industry, hands-on field of materials engineering. From the "basic requirements" in the professional internship, it sounds like they want someone with more of that hands-on experience rather than research background. So even though I would work my ears off and learn the trade as quickly as I can, I might not look very good on paper currently. This is why I am hoping to network and contact a current materials engineer at Disney to get any information on a career path and hopefully get my name out there as more than just a resume applicant.

As for the DCP, I am strongly considering it. I'm already asked twelve times a visit whether or not I'm a cast member, so maybe I should finally become one! ;)

It's extremely difficult to get that hands-on experience in college unless you're doing a co-op or already working part-time. I had no hands-on whatsoever. In my labs, we were not allowed to touch ANYTHING. Everything was performed by the TA grad student which was pointless to me. Do your best to try and contact this person. As for the DCP, you'd be very surprised with the amount of professionals you actually come in contact with. They have workshops and lectures and so much more they set up for the CP's.

Lunair

Original Poster
It's extremely difficult to get that hands-on experience in college unless you're doing a co-op or already working part-time. I had no hands-on whatsoever. In my labs, we were not allowed to touch ANYTHING. Everything was performed by the TA grad student which was pointless to me. Do your best to try and contact this person. As for the DCP, you'd be very surprised with the amount of professionals you actually come in contact with. They have workshops and lectures and so much more they set up for the CP's.

It sounds like they give the CP's ample opportunities to develop if you are determined to do so, and I definitely respect that. I had always assumed that the DCP was less geared towards engineering students, but it seems like an ideal stepping stone as a networking experience. And, of course, it sounds like an incredibly fun time to be a part of the cast that make it all happen.

You should look at this site too.
https://disneyimaginations.com/

Wow, I wish I had known about this last fall. A few friends of mine and I were actually discussing how we would improve our engineering courtyard to be more socially inviting, and this would have been the perfect catalyst to consider a similar environment.

Disney typically does there emails like this:
Firstname.lastname@disney.com. Unless there's multiple people with the same name a middle initial would then be used.

I will absolutely try this email format. Thank you for the suggestion!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom