Considering CP after Graduation, Have a Question

darthspielberg

Original Poster
I am set to graduate in early spring (I finish classes in March, walk for my ceremony in early May, I think) so i am considering the Fall Advantage (or possibly just the Fall if my ceremony is later than I thought) but the big issue I am having is that it is right after I graduate (the only time I can do it, since my school is non stop straight through the year) and six months after I graduate my massive loans are going to come a-calling.

Does anyone have any experience with this dilemma and suggestions on how to deal with it? Can I work with the classes they teach as a way of continuing the deferment of my loan payments, or work to defer it by some other means? I know that you don't do the CP to get rich, so that's another worry is it going into repayment whilst I am still down there.

There is also the issue of killing any career momentum, but that's not something that I can really predict. This could all be moot as I could be denied anyway, but its an experience I'd like to have (since working for Disney in marketing and video production is kind of a goal of mine) and if I can pull it off, it'd be amazing.

BrittanyRose428

I'm planning on applying for the Fall 2014 program, and I'll be graduating May 17th. I just checked my student loan providers website, and it lists me as in school until November 2014. I assume it says "in school" but really that's probably the grace period they give you because it is 6 months after I graduate. There's also links on my account page about lowering the payment and deferring it, so I think I'm just going to call my loan provider in October or November and explain that I'm still doing an internship making minimum wage, and see if the payments can be lowered or deferred. I'm planning on extending my program to the Spring 2015 if I'm accepted, so I don't particularly want to be making payments on student loans with the money I'd be making from the DCP. In the worst case scenario, I'm saving my whole tax return and working a bunch of extra shifts now so I'll have the extra money for bills if I need it during the program.

darthspielberg

Original Poster
I'm planning on applying for the Fall 2014 program, and I'll be graduating May 17th. I just checked my student loan providers website, and it lists me as in school until November 2014. I assume it says "in school" but really that's probably the grace period they give you because it is 6 months after I graduate. There's also links on my account page about lowering the payment and deferring it, so I think I'm just going to call my loan provider in October or November and explain that I'm still doing an internship making minimum wage, and see if the payments can be lowered or deferred. I'm planning on extending my program to the Spring 2015 if I'm accepted, so I don't particularly want to be making payments on student loans with the money I'd be making from the DCP. In the worst case scenario, I'm saving my whole tax return and working a bunch of extra shifts now so I'll have the extra money for bills if I need it during the program.

This sounds almost exactly like my plan of action (well except the spring part, I'd have to see how I like it before I make that choice)

BrittanyRose428

This sounds almost exactly like my plan of action (well except the spring part, I'd have to see how I like it before I make that choice)
Yea, I think I would extend because I've been accepted into the program before but I was unable to go (because coincidentally I would have lost my scholarship) and there's a couple of people I'd like to live with if they get in and they can only do Fall. I wanted to apply for Fall Advantage since I feel kind of cheated out of the program I couldn't go on two years ago, so I want to kind of make up for lost times I guess lol. I might apply for a Professional Internship too, but that really depends on how my finances are too. =/

Gucci65

My daugher did the CP and took two classes at Disney U while she was there, they did not count and because of that her 6 month deferrment is GONE! When she graduates next Spring, she will have to begin paying her loans. Good luck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom