CONFIRMED- Carousel of Progress CLOSED this month.

NowInc

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
I have talked to many information representatives who spoke with attractions AND guest relations.

They said that, before I asked if it would be open this month, it would be closed until sometime next year. Every other call said OPENING SEASONALLY IN THE SUMMER. NOT in the winter.

:(

And so it begins....

It was already said on the other thread that the costums have already been removied....and most likley WAY before the summer hits we will start getting more and more hints of its closing.

Such as some reports of the props getting removed...or maybe an announcment for a new tommorow land attraction..or I am still going for my original statment that says that the Expansion of Space Mountain, taking over where CoP and the Skyway currently stand.

wdwcrazy

They should keep CoP open, and leave Space Mountain as it is. Why fix somthing if it isn't broken? If they do close CoP, they should use that space and the skyway station to build a new attraction. But we all know it'll just turn into a character meet and greet. :rolleyes:

NowInc

Originally posted by wdwcrazy
They should keep CoP open, and leave Space Mountain as it is. Why fix somthing if it isn't broken? If they do close CoP, they should use that space and the skyway station to build a new attraction. But we all know it'll just turn into a character meet and greet. :rolleyes:

Disney never follows the "Dont fix it if it aint broke" way....the constant high maintence CoP required has always left a sour taste in Disneys mouth...and there have been SEVERAL rumors circulating about Space Mountain also on the list to get a MAJOR update somewhere along the line....and slowly everything is starting to fall into place.

As much as I would LOVE to see CoP stay where it is...I am really not holding my breath.

monorail256

yes... just what we need a new character meet and greet... a new ride would be great tho since i am not a fan of COP.. sorry to all of you who are. o well merry christmas! 50 days till i go!!:xmasmile:

wdwcrazy

Disney should really leave Space Mountain alone for a while. The money can be spent elsewhere on new attractions and other attractions that really need upgrading. I think that the Living Seas, Spaceship Earth, and the Great Movie ride could use an upgrade.

NowInc

Well..as i said..things are all starting to fall into place...

Look at the parks...which one is next in line for a new E-Ticket? Lets see..Epcots getting Missions space...MGM just got RockNRollercoaster (and will be getting Star Tours 2...EVENTUALLY), Animal kingdom is getting Primevial whirl and beastly kingdom...

That leaves the Magic Kingdom....

The rumors I am sure you have all heard is for the addition of another mountain (the mythical Fire mountain)...but of course, no one ever confirmed this... I then stumbled across various sources hinting to a new space mountain, and upon further research...I started to find more and more evidence leading to all this (the strongest being something I heard pointing out the key location of Skyway and CoP...and how within a year they would both be closed to help execute the idea)...well...as well all see...skyway is gone (i know there were many other factors that lead to this...so dont jump on me for that)...and now it seems more and more of a reality that CoP's days are numbered as well.

All I can say is I HOPE I am wrong, simply for the historical factor. I personally dont enjoy CoP as an attraction, but it is definataly a landmark not only to WDW...but the entire Disney Corporation as a whole...

wdwcrazy

I was just looking at a map, and with CoP, the skyway station and the tommrowland theater gone that leaves a huge space in tommrowland. Even if they do expand, re-do, or change Space Mountain no way will it be THAT big. But there still is the 20k lagoon so who knows what they have planned. Let's hope it's somting better than Dino-Rama. :rolleyes:

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Originally posted by wdwcrazy
I was just looking at a map, and with CoP, the skyway station and the tommrowland theater gone that leaves a huge space in tommrowland. Even if they do expand, re-do, or change Space Mountain no way will it be THAT big. But there still is the 20k lagoon so who knows what they have planned. Let's hope it's somting better than Dino-Rama. :rolleyes:

If you're looking at the park maps you get at the park...they're a little out of scale. Look at the sattelite photos, and you could realize that it could take up a large part of that space very easily. Also remember that disney loves to surround a new ride with shops, food courts, photo spots, balloon vendors, garbage cans, fastpass, etc.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by grizzlyhall
I have talked to many information representatives who spoke with attractions AND guest relations.

They said that, before I asked if it would be open this month, it would be closed until sometime next year. Every other call said OPENING SEASONALLY IN THE SUMMER. NOT in the winter.

:(

I dont think the word CONFIRMED can be used when we are talking about rumors! ;)

It is still my understanding that it will reopen 12/23/01 to 1/2/02. :D

prberk

At least this year!

I really don't understand why they can't at least keep COP running through this 100th year celebration, as it truly does represent a key to Walt's thinking. He was a futurist, and no one can really understand EPCOT (Walt's dream, not necessarily the reality) without understanding the Carousel of Progress and Walt's involvement with it in the 1964 New York World's Fair. Planning this ride (for General Electric), along with Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln (for Illinois) and Small World (for Pepsi) really helped develop and test the ideas that Walt had for Florida. But among those rides, COP was the most significant in understanding Walt's belief in progress and his vision for EPCOT as a world of tomorrow. If it has to be retired (as it is about the 20th century), it makes the most sense to run it through this year, ending with Walt's celebration....

:-(

Monorail Lime

I have strong doubts about the Space Mountain expansion theory.

Attached is a satellite photo of Tomorrowland. [EDIT: Can't attach files here. It's in a new thread in the Photos forum.] Razing the CoP building and the Skyway station would open up a sizable patch of real estate. But Space Mountain is set back from the Tomorrowland walkway quite a bit, and is not really that close to the CoP. Plus, there are a number of other structures in the way, namely the arcade, railroad tracks, and the TTA beamway. To use all of this space as an expansion of Space Mountain they would have to demolish at least three buildings, build a structure large enough so that it goes over the railroad tracks, probably do some work on the waterway, and remove the TTA altogether which means modifying every last standing building in Tomorrowland. They'd be spending a HUGE chunk of change and closing down a major part of the Magic Kingdom for upwards of a year before construction of the new ride has even begun!

I'm not saying it isn't possible that they won't build something there, I just doubt it will be a Space Mountain extension. If there were plans to expand Space Mountain, it would make more sense to build something in the woods to the north and connect it over the river. It is outside of the current Kingdom perimeter but it is a nice space of land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom