sponono88

The lookout tower is now in place

i-sgKwTfg-M.png

more pictures at MintCrocodile's blog:

Grizzly Peak Airfield Is Coming Along

kibia16

Original Poster

mickEblu

While I like what they are doing, Condor Flats wasn't one of he areas of the park that jumped to the front of my brain for a make over. But whatever, it looks nice. I like the trees. Good job WDI.

I agree but the reason I think they chose to address Condor Flats first is because they re not sure what they want to do with the Hollywood Backlot. Or possibly, what they want to do is so major they don't want to interrupt the 60th. But I would go with the former. That's really what this renovation tells me more than anything. Hopefully they figure it out soon and put an E ticket back there.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Disney needs to pull every living old-school Imagineer out of retirement and put them in a room for a weekend to figure out what to do with Hollywood Pictures Backlot. I mean, honestly, what can they do? They could redo the facades on the main drag, but then you're left with the Hyperion dilemma. It's a huge ugly building at the end of the street with a big dumb fake painted backdrop straight out of Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. You can attempt to do something with the Frozen/Mad T/whatever that's supposed to be area behind the main drag, but then you're left with a big Monsters Inc. ride that makes no sense and has a ridiculous facade that doesn't go with anything in the entire park.

Disneyhead'71

Disney needs to pull every living old-school Imagineer out of retirement and put them in a room for a weekend to figure out what to do with Hollywood Pictures Backlot. I mean, honestly, what can they do? They could redo the facades on the main drag, but then you're left with the Hyperion dilemma. It's a huge ugly building at the end of the street with a big dumb fake painted backdrop straight out of Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. You can attempt to do something with the Frozen/Mad T/whatever that's supposed to be area behind the main drag, but then you're left with a big Monsters Inc. ride that makes no sense and has a ridiculous facade that doesn't go with anything in the entire park.
It's situations like this they invented a tool called a bulldozer.

Admiral01

Premium Member
I like the updated theming of the area. I really like how far DCA has come since it first opened. Each time I visit, it feels more and more like a complete theme park. It has some EPCOT-ish charm, and is walkable to the best Castle park in the world (thus far anyway).

That said, I will miss the Space Shuttle Main Engine (SSME) that used to mist warm guests. It represented one of the most incredible contributions to aerospace engineering. With the demise of the Shuttle program, I liked being able to walk through Condor Flats and have that little reminder of the Shuttle. It was an incredible ship that we will see nothing like again in our lifetimes.

So, much like the loss of the California Zephyr from Sunshine Plaza, I will miss the SSME in Condor Flats. I do, however, look forward to seeing this when it is completed. It is still an exciting time for Disneyland Resort.

TP2000

While I like what they are doing, Condor Flats wasn't one of he areas of the park that jumped to the front of my brain for a make over. But whatever, it looks nice. I like the trees. Good job WDI.

Agreed that Condor Flats was one of the stronger parts of DCA 1.0 and wasn't the sore thumb needing fixing.

But what probably pushed Condor Flats to the top of the list ahead of Hollywood Pictures Backlot and Screamin' was the five month refurbishment needed to transform Soarin' into a digital format with new screens and audio and tech.

Since Soarin' was going to be closed for five months, and Soarin' is the only attraction there, and WDI had a plan to expand Grizzly Peak, they went for it and shut the whole land down and remade it into something new and better.

Hollywood's back corner and Screamin's ugly queue and cheap visuals still sit there, waiting....

TP2000

Animaniac93-98

Hollywood's back corner and Screamin's ugly queue and cheap visuals still sit there, waiting....

I personally want them to finish up Paradise Pier before they fix Hollywoodland.

I think the reason the Backlot hasn't been changed yet is Disney wants to keep the area as a kind of blank slate where they can tack on whatever current movie promotion they feel like.

George Lucas on a Bench

Paradise Pier is also a disaster, as far as I'm concerned. I mean, I get what they're going for, but it just looks so bad and it's entirely unpleasant to walk through because of the complete and utter lack of shade and the noise pollution from Screamin', the swings, Fun Wheel, etc. I'm not sure what they could do with it that would really please me. There is one area behind Screamin' where you see these little sand dunes and beach landscaping that I find so charming. It's perhaps the one place where I think they kinda got it right. Forgive me, I know they have made some enhancements to the area, but it just feels like I'm at the New Jersey State Fair, not a Disney park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom