Concerned about Ike

Status
Not open for further replies.

cococola44

Original Poster
I need your opinion...

Ike is on its way to FL. ...Michael and I are supposed to leave Thurs morning. I am worried about going on with the vacation...The storm is supposed to hit weds night to thursday. :(

KnK

I've been there during a hurricane and a tropical storm....neither slowed us down.

We are heading down on Saturday and I don't plan on it spoiling the trip.

It's Disney.....you are GONNA have FUN!

SeaBreeze

I need your opinion...

Ike is on its way to FL. ...Michael and I are supposed to leave Thurs morning. I am worried about going on with the vacation...The storm is supposed to hit weds night to thursday. :(

There's a discussion going on in the Weather forum about Ike if you want to check it out and see what people are saying :wave:

supapampam

There will be no real way to know till probably Monday or Sunday the earliest. They have it making a turn when it gets to the Bahamas, there just no way to know how far north that turn will take it.

They haven't put up any warnings for florida yet but i see that changing.

Once the storm has passed the parks may be pretty empty which could be good for your vacation.

Hope you don't have to cancelled and I really hope I don't have to board up the house!

GO AWAY IKE!!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Realistically if it made a direct hit on WDW as a CAT 3 you would loose 1 to 2 days. Chances are it will miss WDW. The spaghetti models have the thing going anywhere from Cuba to Maine.

Stop worrying and pack you ponchos and sandals.

colleen2997

I have been facing the same dilemma as you. We are leavign Wed. I have been glud to the Weather channel. We were considering rescheduling but then we would lose our free dining AND there is little to no availability in Disney through Octber. My husband and I have done Disney in the rain with no issue, but we are going with our baby and our in-laws so we were considering rescheduling but I think we will go through with it unless there is a hurricane warning. Right now weather.com is calling for sun 9/13 & 9/13. If Ike hits, it will only be for 2 days or so of rain. They are also saying Ike may head completely North and bypass the coast, so we are hoping for the best!!! But then there is Josephine in the distance as well...Worrying about this is taking away from my excitement level.:(

bgraham34

I am leaving next Friday morning and I am a little worried. But I dont plan to really get worried until Monday if It plans to be a threat.

majorrfb

Go to wde

Realistically if it made a direct hit on WDW as a CAT 3 you would loose 1 to 2 days. Chances are it will miss WDW. The spaghetti models have the thing going anywhere from Cuba to Maine.

Stop worrying and pack you ponchos and sandals.

We were at WDW during Tropical Storm Fay and had a blast. Rain yes, but it did not dampen our spirits. The parks were 1/2 of the usual crowd so no waiting in long lines, eat were ever you desire. The old saying, " one man's junk is another man's treasure" applies. GO FOR IT.:sohappy:

Sirenia

I need your opinion...

Right now Ike is too far out to even have a realisitic view of where it might be going. We should have a better idea of its track on Sunday or Monday. (I'm supposed to be there starting Monday, but I'm gonna board up before I leave just incase)

Orlando is far enough inland and on the western side of the storm.....which means even if it hits FL, the weather really shouldn't be too bad.

Besides, after the storm is over, we have the nicest weather, breezy and cool :ROFLOL:

hrcollectibles

We were at WDW during Tropical Storm Fay and had a blast. Rain yes, but it did not dampen our spirits. The parks were 1/2 of the usual crowd so no waiting in long lines, eat were ever you desire. The old saying, " one man's junk is another man's treasure" applies. GO FOR IT.:sohappy:

I was there the same time and I loved it.. The rain was just enough to keep the non brave souls away

cococola44

Original Poster
I agree it is jsut that I would be flying from NJ...I don't know if my flights would be cancelled. I worked during 2005 when they had the storm system and the bands of katrina hit. I was on course at spectromagic...as the baseman and we were asked to stop choreography and Don and I were soaking wet. I was so sick. They shut down so many rides. The park emptied out. And that was only the outer bands...not even the actual storm.

Cinderellylove

I hear you Cocacola.
I leave this Sat. stying till the 13th. So if it does hit say, on Tuesday. and rains thill Thursday, i guess that is ok. HOWEVER look at Gustov. It rained for 3-4 days and FAy, lasted all week. I just cant spend over $6000 for things to shut down or cancel out?
Never been during a storm, so I HAVE no clue what to expect. BESIDES IM FROM DALLAS all we get is tornadic activity which is gone in like 5 seconds!

As long as your not flying in during the storm (not that the airport would let you) go. Disney is far enough inland you would not be affected for long. I am in Louisiana and Gustav just hit here. Things are back up and running for the most part (minus some electricity in places, but Dinsey I am sure has that under control). Hurricanes usually plow over the land and they are gone. As I said, Disney is great with getting up and running a few hours after it is over!

Point... GO.

I agree it is jsut that I would be flying from NJ...I don't know if my flights would be cancelled. I worked during 2005 when they had the storm system and the bands of katrina hit. I was on course at spectromagic...as the baseman and we were asked to stop choreography and Don and I were soaking wet. I was so sick. They shut down so many rides. The park emptied out. And that was only the outer bands...not even the actual storm.

Katrina's footbrint was HUGE. That is why it all of the gulf states got rains and wind. Ike is no where near that. Katrina had HURRICANE force winds 120 miles from the center. So you can imagine how far storm winds were felt.

krankenstein

I would go. It is way to early to say whether or not Ike will hit central Florida or not. Just make sure you keep an eye out, that's what we are doing here on the Georgia coast.

The Mom

Premium Member
Orlando is in the middle of the state, WDW has generators at each hotel, etc. I would be more concerned about flights to/from MCO.

If you at AT WDW when the storm hits, they have a plan. Don't worry.

Orlando is in the middle of the state, WDW has generators at each hotel, etc. I would be more concerned about flights to/from MCO.

If you at AT WDW when the storm hits, they have a plan. Don't worry.

Yep, I'm scheduled to fly to WDW Thursday, too. I'm not terribly concerned about the weather after we land, just being able to land!:shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom