Completely obsessed with planning has turned into more...

DiSnEyF@n

As I plan for our upcoming trip for February 2016, I can't stop thinking about the endless possibilities. I have become obsessed with looking into rates, ticket prices and all other things Disney on a daily basis. I'm ok with the obsession, but it's making me want to go sooner than February of next year!
Unfortunately we can't financially afford it this year, but the yearning is still there to get my Disney fix right away. ha!

How do you all cope with the need/want to go to Disney especially when you know you're going soon enough? My daughter is a little over a year old, so we watch Disney movies regularly. lol It helps, but not completely.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Somewhat off topic...DW did tons of research and talked me,kicking and screaming (very wary of the time share thing) into DVC in 2002 (and I am s'posedly the bigger Disney fanatic), best thing we ever did ! Used for DVC, DCL, Disney Adventures, skiing out west and wknds in NYC. Took some hardcore budgeting over several yrs to pay it off, but to say I don't regret it is an understatement !

Thank you for that. I am definitely hoping to buy into it as soon as we can afford it.

Upvote 0

Bugz

This thread is making me feel SO GOOD right now because I thought I was abnormally obsessed with Disney planning/researching. I could spend hours reading a complete stranger's trip report. We're going in 172 days, and it feels like an ETERNITY.

This forum has been a good fix for me ;)
I feel your pain with the 172 day (long time!) ours is 104 days and this site does keep me a little calmer .

Upvote 0

Bugz

I'm watching the show on TLC called Walt Disney World Resort Hotels that I have DVRed on my cable box right now. I think I just shedded a tear while reading everyone's responses!! Thanks for the support!!! I love knowing that I'm not the only one and that I'm not crazy. Although my husband loves Disney, he's not as nearly obsessed as I am with it, so this forum is my getaway. I'm loving all the feedback from everyone!! THANKS!
Ya see I think I am weird cuz I am the husband and I am the Disney fanatic more than my wife or my boy , is that normal?

Upvote 0

Moog1979

Right now I'm planning to go this August with my best friends and their 8 and 10 year old. We made a checklist of Disney Full Length Animated Features, and we're going to watch 2 or 3 films a week to complete the checklist before the trip. That's the best way for me to help with the excitement. The 10 year old just started playing the video game series "Kingdom Hearts" so he is getting his daily dose of Disney through Playstation.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

We enjoy our trips and this time is extremely rare. We are taking 3 1-week trips in 9 months. It just happened that way and we want to get everything we can out of our APs. We enjoy the anticipation, but do not obsess about it. We start to get ideas of what we need to get ahead of time to spread that burden over several months leading up to the time we go. Getting $20 of stuff each week vs $200-$300 right before going is much easier. One of our biggest expenses are pins. My daughter loves trading them and goes through 20 - 30 per day.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Right now I'm planning to go this August with my best friends and their 8 and 10 year old. We made a checklist of Disney Full Length Animated Features, and we're going to watch 2 or 3 films a week to complete the checklist before the trip. That's the best way for me to help with the excitement. The 10 year old just started playing the video game series "Kingdom Hearts" so he is getting his daily dose of Disney through Playstation.

I must find out more about this Kingdom Hearts game!!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I have a couple of ways of dealing with my Disney preoccupation:

If it will make me feel better rather than worse, I spend a little time here and there fine-tuning a plan for the upcoming Disney trip, even if it's still more than a year away. I update cost charts for various resorts and DVC rental options. I finalize what dates we want to visit so I can start brainstorming touring plans and ADRs. I watch attraction videos on Youtube to get a "fix" for the things I miss the most. A couple of hours of this per month is all I need to "get it out of my system" for awhile.

However, sometimes delving deeper into Disney planning only makes the yearning worse. In that case, I put all the Disney planning materials away, clear my mind, and focus on some small, upcoming trip -- a weekend roadtrip for a family event, an overnight at Niagara Falls, a camping trip -- and put my enthusiasm and planning skills to work on something that I can look forward to in the short term. I'm ADHD and always "need" something to be obsessing about, so if I can just shift my focus to a non-Disney object, I can very easily forget about Disney for awhile.

Upvote 0

Tinkerkelle

I love that you start packing almost a month out!!! I remember last year in July I got out our suitcases and started putting stuff in them that I knew I wanted (and didn't need at home) for our trip. I am sure my hubnby thought I was crazy, but he never let on! He's such a trooper ha!

I have a medium size plastic crate that I keep in the bottom of my wardrobe that I add things to that I think will be handy. It's clear so I can keep track of what's in there. We still 178 days out!!
I put essential stuff in from last trip like the US to UK power strip and buy things when I see them. The pound shops have all started getting in travel stuff for summer so I got a few of the vacuum bags you roll, some disposable ponchos and other handy bits. There's a great clothes shop, primark (super cheap), that does a lot of disney licensed clothing. When I came across a great disney villainess t-shirt, got it and added to crate. Will add more from end of summer sales, when they roll round. The excitement builds as the crate gets more full.:)

Upvote 0

splashingatkali

Obsession that's us too! We plan our trips a year in advance, once booked we start our count down to our ADR, FP+ then the countdown to when we will get there. If it were up to me, Id start packing the minute I book, but then the family would think I'm crazy lol. During the year we look for sales for new clothes or items we are to take. We watch movies, youtube videos or anything to get our disney fix. We talk about it endlessly, planning on what parks we want to go based on where our dinners locations are at. We will be there is 25 days and time just can't come fast enough for us. Its killing us ;)

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

@DiSnEyF@n I understand your pain! We are not going back until May 2017 :)banghead::hungover::jawdrop:) so what we do to get through it is lots of talking about it, reminiscing, movies, TV specials, music, and more. Also, my mom and aunt are there right now and will be going back 1/2016 so we are living vicariously through them and enjoying their trip in spirit.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom