Trip Report Completed: Wait, are we just staying at the Polynesian?!

Polynesian February 9th-16th

Another adventure to WDW with the same cast of characters from September’s “How could it be so hot with no sun?!” which I am still cranking out for my fans.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-sun-another-september-adventure-2016.916978/

Since we shelled out for the Annual Passes in hopes of another trip, Mom, Dad and I found February 9-16th to be a fabulous time. My home swim meets will be over and work is medium busy. We get to sneak down during winter, which hasn’t been horrible yet this year up our way. Erie happens to be in that rust belt snow belt area and we have seen about the average amount of snow fall by now, some mild weather has moved in a few times melting the snow and making life slightly less painful. It is in the high 40s and staying mild all week, but this time next week we could have inches of snow. I will take the spots of mild weather-just hoping it’s all clear to get out of CLE

It also is one of the slower times (if those really exist anymore) to visit WDW. I am looking forward to not having the F&W Booths clogging everything up and perhaps fewer drunks. Don’t get me wrong they are entertaining, but after a while of folks stumbling around you just scratch your head and think well they are going to feel awful tomorrow! I don’t get it at times-if I am spending the money to be down here, I want to remember it lol! We snuck down in January in 2015 and that was fun and totally different than our usual September/October time. Lucked out and didn’t experience any rain and it was warm, just needed a long sleeve or hoodie at night and early morning.

DM was advocating for a longer stay, but realistically with just visiting in September 1 week was feasible. We do not plan on visiting Animal Kingdom, since we will be traveling with my nephews (DM & Big Daddy’s grandsons) in October-we figure we will have our fill of the AK then. I know for some folks it is there absolute favorite park, but for us it isn’t really a draw. KS is great and I love taking photos of course and Big Daddy and I love EE, but aside from enjoying the atmosphere and design, ½ day there will do. Consider I was 17 when the park opened and never fell in love with the place. Now Epcot, MK I could spend days at each and usually do.

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Epcot in the evening

I love ending the trip on a positive note and Epcot is a great place to do so. In the middle of the week not during the Food Fest or this Art thing is perfect! The temperature was cooler because the wind was crazy today, but a little cardigan for later if it cools down more.

I grabbed some candy treats from the Mitsokushi department store. I like to try weird snacks and treats. Plus it provides Disney entertainment after you have been home for a few days. I found a variety of gummies and watermelon snacks to try out.

We arrived for dinner a little early at Tutto Italia, but they normally do not have a problem seating you. It is a large restaurant that is not often full. Thank goodness because it is huge and noisy at full capacity. The service is usually very good, but we ended up with a server that had too many tables. We were also seated in the room between the outdoor patio and the main dining room. It is cramped and claustrophobic in there in my opinion. Service was slow, but as usual the food was very good. My mom and I both had the chicken parmigiana special, which we could have split in hindsight. This portion was gigantic and unfortunately I would have taken the rest to go, but we were leaving for home the next day. DF ordered the ziti, which replaced the gnochetti with sausage. He enjoyed it as well.

Tutto Italia

[/url
]

[/url
]

“Hey, there’s a bite out of my chicken!” Hehehe sorry it was me, couldn’t resist.

Italy Pavilion
http://imgur.com/DpNGuTZ
[/url
]

[/url
]

Very stuffed, no room for dessert. Well maybe room, but didn’t want to wait an hour I have a plane to catch tomorrow! It was a lovely evening enjoying the atmosphere, but it was time to head back to the Polynesian for a full nights rest before we head to the airport tomorrow. Despite the rotten meal at Flying Fish, broken air conditioner and other lackluster experiences, we still had a blast and already planned next year!

I leave you with this awesome photograph I took. This is what it is all about…
http://imgur.com/gU9KQiX
[/url
]

I hope you enjoyed this trip report and stay tuned for more adventures with the Grimm’s! Look for Grimm, Grinning, Ghost Tour Pre Trip for October and An Upcoming Adventure to be Named later for our February 2018 trip! Thank you for following along

fractal

Off to the Boardwalk & Flying Fish

The Boardwalk self parking and Grand Floridian self parking really battle it out for worst lots ever, especially when you have to cross the street at the GF. We got lucky with it being ‘low” season in all that there were some empty spots near the convention entrance. We stayed at the Boardwalk Villas and Inn side finally over the last couple of years and enjoyed it. My major complaint being the mega hotel feeling—our MB didn’t work to get in the room and back to the lobby we went, annoying. Long corridors and fewer elevators make a long day longer. The Villas were actually being renovated while we were there at the time and the workers started work a little early and it was noisy during the day. I would definitely stay again at some point because of the convenience of Epcot and DHS.

It was cloudy this evening, not cold, but cool. This woman totally bombed my photo hehe.

[/URL
]

Flying Fish
Flying Fish recently underwent a major rehab and we were excited to check out the new digs. Well first Izzy wasn’t working tonight, so we missed out on him altogether. We were seated in the area overlooking the Boardwalk garden area, but not in the back section. We were seated basically out in the open. We were watching the staff set up a large table, but they set the table all the way to the wall with no way for the far side of the table to get in unless they climbed down the eight seats from the other side. We did tell them about it before they seated guests though!

Our server came over and did the introduction and talked about the menu a bit.
[/URL
]

Salad: plant city strawberry salad-strawberries not quite ripe. Kurobuta pork two ways was good and interesting. A nice starter, recommended.
[/URL
]

[/URL That looks like a bloody hand print by the way...gross
]

The appetizers were fine, we enjoyed them, but the entrees were amateur hour. The salmon was cooked well, but the risotto was still crunchy and raw. The chicken had the most peculiar taste and mom didn’t care for it at all, except the mixed vegetables were lovely. I even tasted it and thought it was crap with a side of nasty barbeque sauce. Honestly it was bad. I ordered a special grouper with buerre blanc. The sauce was velvety and delicious as any butter and wine sauce should be, but beets and fish and cauliflower? It’s just weird, but chefs are loving romescu and cauliflower right now and I hope this trend ends soon.
[/URL
]

[/URL
]

[/URL
]

They removed the chicken from our bill, but you were still served a lackluster meal. The service wasn’t great, so that didn’t even sweeten the pot at all. A great server can save the meal, but she did nothing but tread water. Mom probably would have been happier staying at the room eating an Uncrustable. I hope others have better experiences than us.

Service: 3 stars
Food: 3 stars
Choices/Variety: 4 stars
Overall: 3.5 stars

Be Back: negative ghost rider the pattern is full

Well, you are not alone with your take on what used to be a favorite restaurant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom