Trip Report (Completed!) This is Autism - When you add a little Pixie Dust!

Hi Everyone!

This will be my first trip report so I am a little nervous. Our family is heading to Disney World in 6 days! It will be myself, my husband and our 2 daughters: Julia who is 11 and Hope who is 4. Hope has severe Autism and SID (Sensory Integration Disorder). Some people think I'm crazy to take Hope to Disney with all of her issues, but I have found Disney to be the greatest therapy for her - she does some amazing things while we are there. This will be her 3rd visit after being diagnosed. I hope I can offer some encouragement (and a little humor) to others who have special needs children and are hesitant to visit Disney.

I have done a pre-trip report on my blog - I don't know if I am allowed to post the link here. I will try to catch up here over the next couple of very busy days! So if any of you are up for the journey with us - welcome!

mary

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Oh my goodness, no wonder you "forgot" to finish your report, I wouldn't want to have to re-live feeling so miserable. Sorry to hear your trip ended with you being ill, even though the girls seemed to continue having a good time. ;)

Have fun next month!!

Thanks so much - we can't wait.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
So happy to see the rest of your trip! I'm sorry you weren't feeling well the last couple days:(. I'm going to pass on mission space during our next trip too. I spent some time...not feeling to well afterwards lol. Hopes pictures with all the characters are so sweet! So glad to hear that she tried so many new things!

Also, if I didn't know any better I'd say we had an unfortunate encounter with the same family! We were there toward the beginning of September and while waiting in a crowded lobby at Liberty Tree Tavern we were subjected to2 young boys playing imaginary baseball, running to "bases" and knocking into my husband and myself. My h was livid. They seemed to be with parents and grandparents, all of whom were clueless.

At least I know it's not just me. lol Of course I'm paranoid now and I'm trying to convince my daughter not to do the orange mission again this year!

Thanks for reading!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing your trip! Looks like you all had a wonderful time! I loved that the mousekeepers gave you a special toothbrush holder. Too cute!
What a great family trip and memories.. thanks again for taking us along! :)

The Disney nerd am I am really wanted to take the toothbrush holder home! But alas, it was left behind.

Thanks for reading!

SeaweedCupcake

I have a 21 year old autistic brother and found your trip report incredibly interesting. Yes taking him to Disney takes incredible planning and can be really stressful on us but I have never ever seen him happier. The crowds, heat and rides he never tolerates anywhere else but Disney and it's completely worth it. Hope is adorable and I can't wait to read your next trip report

DisSplash

I just read through your trip report in 1 sitting and loved every bit of it. I was laughing hysterically every time you had to run and buy a new autograph book and pen, and your husband's excruciating patience and various complaints with that whole thing ... I'm thinking that those complaints are just a screen. That is definitely a dad who would happily do anything for his daughters! ;)

I loved your honesty and real-life view of the challenges families with special needs kids go through. I do not know those challenges first-hand, but your accounts of your trip have definitely opened my eyes to another world that some of our kids live in. That you can broaden, enhance, and enliven that world for your daughter through Disney is simply amazing. Your Hope is a spunky (and adorable) child for sure, and I cannot wait to see if a year has given her the mental acceptance to try even more new things, and to perhaps enjoy the monorail during your next trip! By the way, I LOVED the photo with her and Sophia! Pure joy!

Your Julia is also so sweet - I love that she is so obviously still enchanted with all of the Disney magic -- I hope my daughter never loses that! It looks as if Julia had a great vacation, and it sounds like she is very much a "go with the flow" gal, which is pretty cool in a pre-teen. ... It looks like she is an awesome big sister too.:)

Can't wait to see what adventures you all have this year!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
I have a 21 year old autistic brother and found your trip report incredibly interesting. Yes taking him to Disney takes incredible planning and can be really stressful on us but I have never ever seen him happier. The crowds, heat and rides he never tolerates anywhere else but Disney and it's completely worth it. Hope is adorable and I can't wait to read your next trip report

Yes - Disney magic makes it all worthwhile! Thanks for reading!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
I just read through your trip report in 1 sitting and loved every bit of it. I was laughing hysterically every time you had to run and buy a new autograph book and pen, and your husband's excruciating patience and various complaints with that whole thing ... I'm thinking that those complaints are just a screen. That is definitely a dad who would happily do anything for his daughters! ;)

I loved your honesty and real-life view of the challenges families with special needs kids go through. I do not know those challenges first-hand, but your accounts of your trip have definitely opened my eyes to another world that some of our kids live in. That you can broaden, enhance, and enliven that world for your daughter through Disney is simply amazing. Your Hope is a spunky (and adorable) child for sure, and I cannot wait to see if a year has given her the mental acceptance to try even more new things, and to perhaps enjoy the monorail during your next trip! By the way, I LOVED the photo with her and Sophia! Pure joy!

Your Julia is also so sweet - I love that she is so obviously still enchanted with all of the Disney magic -- I hope my daughter never loses that! It looks as if Julia had a great vacation, and it sounds like she is very much a "go with the flow" gal, which is pretty cool in a pre-teen. ... It looks like she is an awesome big sister too.:)

Can't wait to see what adventures you all have this year!

Thanks so much for your comments! Yep- you got my hubby figured out - spot on! Anything for his girls! We've had a lot of changes this past year and we are excited to see what our new trip brings! Thanks for following along!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Fantastic report, what amazing memories you are creating for your family.

The Tiana pictures are definitely my favorite.......adorable !!!

Tiana was one of the best princess experiences we had this trip - and the pictures really show it. She was so happy to hear we were staying at French Quarters! haha Thanks for reading!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom