Trip Report **Completed** The Wine and Dine Half Marathon and we are never changing hotels again!

Hello everyone! I have been (sadly) back for over a week now so I suppose its time to start my TR. I have been in a moderate Disney depression since I have been back, so hopefully this cheers me up. Its probably the freezing cold weather here in Buffalo, but I am longing for Disney and sunny weather (I know its only like 55 there right now, but its 25 here :)). I suppose this is the true sign of a Disney addict! Anyway, on with the TR!

Who?:

From left to right:
My Dad (Jeff), Me (Megan), Mickey :p, My sister Betta (her name is Elizabeth, we call her Betta), my nephew Max, my Mom (Mary) my sister Jill and Betta's friend Deanna
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_7854565120.jpeg

Deanna came with my sister to help with Max :) She has been to Disney before, but not for several years. This is Max's first trip! The rest of us have been to Disney (several times...;))

When?
My Mom and I: November 3 - 12
My Dad and Jill: Nov 5 -12
Betta, Deanna and Max Nov 7 - 12

Where?
We moved hotels 3 times, I will introduce them as we go :)

Why?
Jill and I really wanted to run the Wine and Dine Half Marathon so we planned a trip around it! Plus, Betta wanted to bring Max to Disney the first time!

The Title?
Well, its pretty obvious! We ran the Wine and Dine Half Marathon :) Also, we were not keen on moving hotels during the trip. It is incredibly disruptive and takes up a decent amount of free time. I will comment more as we go.

T-5 days
As my Mom and I were driving to help my sister and Max pack for the trip we were getting a little bit Disney crazy and really did not want to stay at All Star Sports. We have nothing against people who like the values (or can only afford them), but we really don't enjoy them. When I was a kid we only stayed at values and we loved them, but we definitely have gotten spoiled lately. Knowing we booked All Stars to save us money I did not think a hotel move would be possible. However, the huge AP discount was still a thing so we started looking into other hotels. While at my sister's house I kept trying to change the hotel, but it was not working. Eventually I gave up and finally called Disney. I had the sweetest CM ever on the phone and we chatted for quite a bit about all sorts of things. In the end I decided on moving to the Wilderness Lodge because we love it so much! The CM also added a bit of magic and upgraded us to Concierge level for free. :):p:joyfull::inlove: Woohoo!!! The only downside is this would mean we would have to pick up our luggage in the airport for Magical Express. Annoying, but no big deal overall :)

November 3, 2016
We got up around 5 am and got ready to go to the airport. It was a gross and rainy day in Buffalo so we were happy to be heading to sunny Florida! While my Mom and I were finishing up last minute things and taking pictures my Dad started grabbing our suitcases and bringing them to the car. Only, we weren't done with them yet so he had to bring them back in. Because it was rainy he really looked the part of a grumpy airport worker :joyfull:
IMG_1842.JPG

IMG_1843.JPG

We had a quick ride to the airport and we got there by 6 am. We had the same Southwest worker check us in that we had in October. Thats when you know you travel too much? haha
We both had TSA pre-check and for once I did not set off the metal detector! We were through security by 6:08 am. You have got to love TSA pre-check :)
For breakfast we had some bagels and water
IMG_1846.JPG

Petey and Drake were ready :)
IMG_1849.JPG

Since we had a crazy amount of time to kill we sat down at our gate and I already started working on my notes haha
IMG_3482.jpg

Then we took some selfies...
IMG_2492.jpg

Finally it was time to get on the plane. We ended up in row 4! I love sitting in the front, takes less time to get off the plane!
Magic Bands ready :)
IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_2495.jpg

Purple Magic Bands for the win! The woman sitting next to me also had a purple Magic Band :)
IMG_1851.JPG

Next up: Arriving in MCO!

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
My Mom and I almost never accept a drink on the plane, but this time we decided we would get some pop for the caffeine. However, our flight was rather turbulent moving through the storm so snack service was super delayed and possibly not going to happen at all. Eventually it did, though, and we got our caffeine. Phew! Otherwise we spent the rest of our flight watching HGTV :)
I thought it was cool you could see the plane shadow
IMG_1856.JPG

Finally we landed! I spy sunshine!
IMG_1857.JPG

Yay! We are here!!!
IMG_1859.JPG

IMG_1860.JPG

Fonorail time!
IMG_1861.JPG

IMG_1862.JPG

We went to pick up our luggage and we complained a little bit too much about doing it. Only because it takes forever to get it and we had a lot of luggage haha. Truthfully we got asked like 10 times if we needed help with our luggage and because I am stubborn I said no :) Probably should have said yes...haha. Especially since its our first time using 4 wheeled luggage so it took a bit to get used to pushing that and pulling our other suitcase.
Usual picture...note the crazy amount of luggage. You can kind of see our new Disney luggage :)
IMG_1865.JPG

Finally we got down to the ME! We got sent to lane 2, but there were no signs so I was so nervous they had me in the All Star Lane since I changed my reservation. Luckily, we were in the correct line!
IMG_3485.jpg

Its funny, when you have your luggage in the Magical Express line everyone stares at you like you are the idiot who did not use the yellow tags :) Maybe I am imagining it, but literally no one else had their luggage haha. Truthfully I probably also subconsciously wondered why people didn't use the luggage check in service. Maybe because they switched hotels last minute :)
All aboard the Magical Express!
IMG_2497.jpg

Soon enough we saw this beauty! I have never been able to get a picture of the sign like this!
IMG_2501.JPG

AH! Best feeling of the world when you cross over that imaginary line :)

Next up: Getting to the hotel :)

LeighM

Following along again :) It's not even officially winter and I'm already over it!! We've had a really cold wind the last few days and every time I take my dog outside, I long for the Florida sunshine.

Dubman

Following along! Love that you and Nicole are reporting your trips! We all experienced the same overwhelming crowds but still loved being in the Disney bubble! :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Following along (again)!!! Between this TR and @prfctlyximprct 's report (and trying to keep up with all of @Tuvalu 's reports), it doesn't look like I will be getting much work done this week!! :D

Haha hopefully you did get some work done since I fell off on my TR for a bit!

Reading this on my lunch! I can't believe our trips are over :(

I'm already stalking the website. I want to go back and do Christmas stuff again :(

Holy man! What an awesome upgrade! I can't wait to move to Florida, be an AP holder, and get awesome AP discounts so I can afford deluxe resorts. :inlove::rolleyes:

The sales are awesome! I don't think its super common for them so I am snatching it up while I can!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Following along!! Can't wait to hear the stories of switching resorts! Love the WL- my fave :)

We love the WL too! Its probably my favorite, but I change my mind all the time haha

Following along!!!!! Loving it so far!!!!!! My wife loves your Minnie luggage.
Thanks! I actually just ordered another piece while they are still on sale :)

Following along! What a nice upgrade for you, Wilderness Lodge is lovely.

It was a really great upgrade! I was so surprised!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Hooray! I've been watching for your report. Wilderness Lodge!!!! My favorite Disney home! Looking forward to more!

Thanks for following! So sorry for the huge delay haha

Following along again :) It's not even officially winter and I'm already over it!! We've had a really cold wind the last few days and every time I take my dog outside, I long for the Florida sunshine.

Ugh its so cold outside haha Its only November still!

Following along! Love that you and Nicole are reporting your trips! We all experienced the same overwhelming crowds but still loved being in the Disney bubble! :)

For some reason the crowds didn't bother me too much, probably because of the bubble! haha

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay everyone, Thanksgiving and such got in the way :)
Day 1 continued
Luckily for us the Wilderness Lodge was the first stop! We actually were on a bus only for WL and Contemporary which was nice.
First, of course, we had to pass under the MK sign!
IMG_1868.JPG

We are here!
IMG_1871.JPG

I was so happy to see the WL again! We dragged our 4 pieces of luggage into the hotel and I may or may not have left my Mom a little behind haha. When I was in the lobby waiting for her I met a CM named Jack who awkwardly, after like 5 minutes, realized we were who he was looking for. He was like oh are you Megan (*insert him pronouncing my last name not even close to how its pronounced*). I said yes and he said he was there to take us to the concierge check-in. I was unaware it was a different check-in...:happy:
I knew my room wasn't ready, but he insisted he ask and then made us take our luggage to storage even though we weren't ready yet because we had to change :confused:
Blurry picture while I was trying to follow Jack
IMG_1873.jpg

He asked if we stayed here before and I said yes, but he still gave us the full tour. :oops: Then we got shuffled upstairs to the concierge level check in desk and awkwardly sat at the desk only for them to find out I did online check in and I did not need them for reservations. He did give us a Run Disney pamphlet, though, which was helpful. They then showed us the place where they have food (the Old Faithful Club) so we stopped in there. I believe they said this is the temporary place until they finish construction.
The view was beautiful!
IMG_1874.JPG

My Mom and I figured we would get a small snack since we were already there :)
We felt almost the entire time we were at WL Club Level that we didn't belong there. I don't know why, but we always felt awkward (how many times can I use the work awkward in one post?). That didn't stop us from enjoying the food every time we had a chance though :p
These are some of the chips and the gummy bears. Both of these were so good! You can see my Mom's cookie in the background. She loved those cookies!
IMG_1875.JPG

After our quick snack, we headed downstairs and got dressed into warm weather clothes. The concierge guy told us to change in the fitness center, but we were fine changing in the lobby bathroom :p.
We walked to the bus stop and waited in the sunshine for our final destination bus!
IMG_1879.JPG

IMG_1880.JPG

Our final destination was....
Epcot! Woohoo!
We planned on checking out a bit of Food and Wine and had a few Fast Passes
IMG_1886.JPG

You will notice we are matching....as usual
Thumbs up for waffles in the background
IMG_1885.JPG

IMG_1887.JPG

Next up: Epcot continued!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued:
Its not us if we don't stop for a Photopass picture...
PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7849151932.jpeg

PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7849151939.jpeg

Our first FP was for SE so we headed there first
IMG_1889.JPG

IMG_1895.JPG

The pictures at the end were working again! It was only like 5 months of it not working :)
After this we headed to World Showcase and stopped at our first Food and Wine stop! We went to the Farm Fresh stand and picked up two of our favorite Food and Wine eats -Loaded Mac ‘n’ Cheese with Pepper Bacon, Cheddar Cheese, Peppers and Green Onions!
IMG_1900.JPG

Yum!
IMG_1904.JPG

We did not want to eat too much since we had a big dinner coming up so we had one more stop to make on our Food and Wine adventures: the Wine and Dine Studio!
We both ordered the Trio of Artisan Cheese: La Bonne Vie Goat Cheese served with toasted Craisin Bread, Karst Cave-aged Cheddar Cheese served with Fig Compote, Statesboro Blue Cheese served with Spiced Candied Walnuts. I am actually pretty proud of my Mom for ordering this and trying it! We both enjoyed it, but I enjoyed it more than her I think. Mainly because she's not a huge fan of blue cheese.
IMG_1906.JPG

I also ordered the Michael David Winery Seven Deadly Zins Zinfandel
IMG_1908.JPG

I'm not super into red wine, but enjoyed this wine.
I love this area with all the cool wine bottle features
IMG_1910.JPG

Next up it was time for our next FP: Soarin'!
IMG_1914.JPG

Next up: finishing off Epcot for the day

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
Concourse B was our final destination
IMG_1918.jpg

Since we had already been on the new Soarin' I watched the map this time!
IMG_1916.JPG

We enjoyed our ride as usual. We were next to a woman who had never been on Soarin' at all and she was super nervous. She loved it!!! Its very sweet to be around people enjoying their first Disney things, even if you don't know them :)
Next up we made our way through the rest of the Land
IMG_1922.JPG

Living with the Land was our last FP for the day!
IMG_1929.JPG

I really like the signs that point out ingredients used in the foods at the Food and Wine Festival
IMG_1930.JPG

IMG_1931.JPG
IMG_1934.JPG

Cute little fall set up
IMG_1935.JPG

After our lovely trip through the Land we headed out of the park and back to the WL
It was around 4 pm at this point and I still have not gotten a room ready text :(
Our plan was to go to the front desk and ask about it, but first we stopped to admire the Totem Pole
IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

Next up: our room!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
Oh forgot these pictures we took on the way out!
Yes, we even have the same shorts on....
PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7849376855.jpeg

PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7849376859.jpeg

I asked at the front desk about our room being ready and they said it was, but for some reason the text never went through! Never mind that, we were just happy to be able to get into a room. We actually were not in the main building like I anticipated us being. We were, instead, on the third floor of the part of the building past Roaring Fork. When we got to our room it was at the end of the hallway which was fine. Especially fine since it was HUGE! I guess I didn't realize we would get a bigger room because of the club level, but the room was a massive sized suite.
Please enjoy the following onslaught of room pictures to follow
Cute shower wall
IMG_1949.JPG

Double sinks ;)
IMG_1950.JPG

Hall closet (don't know why I didn't open it)
IMG_1951.JPG

Living room
IMG_1952.JPG

IMG_1953.JPG

View from our balcony! It was beautiful!
IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

A different view of the living area. We weren't in the room long enough to enjoy the living room unfortunately
IMG_1957.JPG

Next up: more room pictures!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
Nice little sink area...did not use this either
IMG_1961.JPG

The bedroom part of the room
IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1963.JPG

IMG_1964.JPG

Loved this closet!
IMG_1965.JPG

We went back to the balcony
IMG_1966.JPG

You could see the boats from our balcony!
IMG_1968.JPG

IMG_3488.jpg

The view was absolutely stunning!
IMG_3489.JPG

While we waited for Bell Services to bring up our luggage I received a call from the concierge CM who asked us if we got our gift and welcome packet. I said I did not think so, but I could have missed it. He said I definitely did not miss it and he would bring it down. He soon showed up at the door with this gem!
IMG_1967.jpg

It is a chocolate totem pole (there were two actually) made from the Ganachery at Disney Springs! It was delicious and a really neat touch!

Next up: dinner and a show

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
We were all set for dinner so decided to head up to the Old Faithful club just to see what they have around dinner time
I love these lights
IMG_1969.JPG

I did not take any pictures upstairs because we were legit up there for only like 5 minutes. Just long enough to grab a piece of cheese and check it out :) There were a few people up there and apparently it became acceptable to eat everything with your hands or grab things from the plates with your hands :grumpy::hungover:. They had cheese, wine and some small plates like pasta salad and soup.
We then headed down to the boat to make our way towards dinner
IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

I love these boat rides :)
IMG_1973.JPG

We landed at the Contemporary...it was so weird to say we stayed there just a month prior to this!
IMG_1975.JPG

Of course we had to take this picture. Some woman kindly offered to take our picture!
IMG_1978.JPG

After our pictures we went up to BVG and picked up some luggage tags we had our eyes on. I don't have a picture, but the ones that have Grumpy on them (since we love him) and say "Grumpy till I get there." :)
After shopping we were a little early, but headed to check into diner at......California Grill!!
The check-in line was long, but went very quickly. I know that we tend to overdress for things, but sometimes it makes me sad to see people in sweats and stuff going to dinner at California Grill :(.
IMG_1982.JPG

Our table was ready before we even got up the elevator! As we approached our table we saw this...
IMG_1984.JPG

What were we celebrating you may ask?
We were celebrating this...
IMG_1983.JPG

Yep, we were celebrating that we eat at California Grill too much....:hilarious:
IMG_1988.JPG

Next up: dinner continued

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom