Trip Report * COMPLETED* The Let's Never Go Home Trip

Hey everyone! I don't have all my pictures and videos sorted or anything yet but its a rainy cold day here in Buffalo so why not work on my trip report :) I took over 4000 videos and pictures (I started a youtube channel for my videos :happy: ) so bear with me as I sort through them all! All and all we had a great trip and I wish we weren't home already :(

For those of you who want to see my PTR here it is: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-dole-whip-extravaganza.910063/

Let's get started!

Who?:
From left to right: My Dad (Jeff), My Mom (Mary), Nick (Jill's Boyfriend), My Sister Jill (@Disney Dentist ) and Me (Megan!)
PhotoPass_Visiting_Epcot_7674127906.jpg

When?
Jill and Nick were there from April 29 - May 6
My parents and I were there from April 30 - May 12

Where?
We stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter! Its our favorite hotel (moderate wise) for sure and it did not disappoint this trip :) We had a great time there and after not having stayed there for a few trips we really enjoyed being back at our "home."

Why?
Why not? We planned this trip before my mom and I went to DL and WDW by ourselves; it was originally a trip to help us get through our post Disney depression from February 2015 but we also ended up going twice more before this....haha

The Title?
We were there for a record (for us) 13 days and it seemed like we were never going to have to leave...unfortunately day 13 did come and we did eventually have to go home. Even after being there for so long I still wasn't ready to leave!

T-1 Day to go:
Jill and Nick were already in Disney but my parents and I could not leave until Saturday because I have clinic on Fridays which is non-negitionable (we get our vacation in two week blocks so technically my vacation didn't start until May 2 but luckily I was able to get the weekend off before). Anyway we had Jills dogs to take care of for one day. I was off my from regular rotation in the morning which was nice because we had time to get our nails done. However, just about an hour before I had to go to clinic my sister's one dog had some issues :hungover: Here I am bathing him (with my fresh manicure) right before having to go to work...
IMG_2190.JPG

Meanwhile this is the text I get when I am at clinic....
IMG_2191.JPG

Must be nice...;) Anyway we got him cleaned up and when I got home from work we got the dogs all situated at their respective places to stay. We then checked we packed everything and I made my Dad sit down with me and make sure he had everything he needed. This will come into play later since he really wasn't paying attention to me :happy:

Day 1 Travel Day
Well our flight was leaving at 6:50 am so we got up around 4:00 am to get ready to go. Luckily we live close to the airport but still planned on leaving around 5 am to make sure we had time. I had a weird feeling all morning that the airport was going to be packed so I was a little more anxious than usual
IMG_1073.JPG

IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG

Anyway we shoved our five (yes five, and my 2 were both full size) suitcases into my Dad's car and off we went to the airport. We ended up leaving a little before 5. We got to the airport and we parked and had to drag our suitcases into the terminal. Its not that far but I was spoiled by our last few trips where my Dad dropped us off at the door haha. Anyway as we were on the elevator I was super anxious and my Dad was like calm down its never that crowded. Literally as soon as he said that the door opened and what did we see? A HUGE line for security...like out the entrance for it all the way through the airport. :eek::confused: I almost panicked but instead thought "oh no worries we almost always get TSA pre-check." So we check in and the tickets come out and no pre-check for my Mom and I. My Dad always gets it because he is a government/army employee. He was going to wait in line with us but I told him to go ahead so in case we were so long we didn't get to board on time he could save our seats. I also assumed maybe he would get us breakfast...spoiler alert he didn't haha
Anyway my poor mother had to deal with me through the almost hour we waited in security..I was so nervous we were going to miss our flight (or at least boarding). Luckily we got out around 6:15 and our boarding was 6:25.
My mom and I met my Dad at the gate and while he didn't get us breakfast he did get us cookies so there is that :) Thumbs up we made it on time, as I am sure many people did not make it! In fact our flight definitely left without some people.
IMG_1079.JPG
IMG_4111.JPG

My penguin and dinosaur were ready to go!
IMG_4113.JPG

We were in the early A's so we got a good seat and immediately put on our magic bands :)
IMG_1082.JPG

Next up: traveling continued

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 12 continued
My Mom ordered the Pan Seared Chicken Breast
This picture makes it look horrible but it was good haha
IMG_1763.jpg

My Dad and I both ordered the Grilled Strip Steak
IMG_1762.jpg

Between the three of us we could have easily split 2 entrees with the soup. We all really enjoyed our meal, it was just a lot of food! It was my Dad's first time eating dinner here and he really liked it.
Oh I forgot: My Dad did order a beer with dinner, but my Mom and I just got pop. @Tuvalu I just remembered I didn't get wine this meal! I think I was too hot!
IMG_1761.jpg

For dessert my Mom and I split the Grey Stuff. Its not like its out of this world but we feel its a must eat haha
IMG_1764.jpg

Our waiter was kind enough to take our picture!
IMG_0682.JPG

After our wonderful meal we stopped by to thank our host
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_7684917442.jpeg

Then we had to take a few more pictures before leaving!
IMG_0683.JPG

IMG_0684.jpg

During dinner I was able to pick up a FP for Winnie the Pooh since we could not go on it earlier. We had about 10 minutes before we could go on it so we waited outside in the shade and my Mom chatted on the phone with my Aunt. My Dad made a passing comment about not wanting to wait for the ride and I snapped at him a bit. I told him it was only 10 minutes but if he did not want to wait then just leave since Mom and I were planning on Park Hopping after this :facepalm:. I felt bad I snapped and he told me he was joking, but I knew he wasn't and he wanted to leave. Either way he sucked it up and we enjoyed our ride on Pooh
IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

Next up: making the most of our last night

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 12 continued
A few more pictures of Winnie the Pooh!
Its hard to get a decent picture on the ride
IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

My Mom had already planned on park hooping to Hollywood Studios after this so we said goodbye to the MK
We were mad we had to say good-bye. This picture is kind of cool how it focused on just the train station and us
IMG_0697.JPG

My Dad had zero precent interest in going to HS so we split up after this and he headed back to the hotel. My Mom and I had the BEST bus driver ever, his name was Lou. He did tons of trivia and there were about 10 people total on the bus and everyone was super into it. He said he almost always does trivia with the guests, but no one ever answers so he was happy we participated! Anyway I did pretty good with the trivia in the beginning. In the end he started asking super specific actors names that I did not know, but there was a man in the front that did. He also asked Daisy's nieces names and the names of the hyenas from the Lion King. The man in the front also knew those answers! It was pretty impressive, everyone clapped for him!
Is this a creepy picture of Tower of Terror? I can't actually tell?
IMG_0700.JPG

Anyway, we stopped for a PP picture on the way in!
PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_7684978068.jpeg

Our entire purpose of being in HS was to see the Star Wars fireworks so I asked the PP CM where they were set off and she gave us some good tips on where to stand
On the bus I was able to grab a FP for Aerosmith! It was definitely not needed, though, as everyone in the world was in Fantasmic.
When the ride was supposed to take off it did not...thats the worst when the countdown happens and you do not go! It turns out someone had their middle finger up for the picture so they had to reset us and tell the person not to do it
PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_7684994997.jpeg

So after the ride we could have sat down somewhere for the fireworks, but we felt the need to go see the Muppets since we missed it so far this trip
IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

Honestly I forgot just how long this show was! My Mom and I finally realized we feel no need to see this show again until its updated haha. Last trip I didn't mind it and this trip I could not deal. Some of it probably had to do with the fact that we nearly missed the fireworks starting time and literally had to run to see them. Moral of the story....we should have sat down to watch the fireworks instead of watching the Muppets :p This is especially true since Fantasmic let out to it was really hard to find a good viewing spot! Actually the fireworks ended up being a little delayed for some reason so there was no reason for us to run haha
Anyway, the fireworks were absolutely amazing! I did not take a picture, only videos, but we really liked them! Honestly, I love Wishes but I think these fireworks may surpass Wishes in how well they go with the music and the colors and such. Don't hate me for saying it :)

We were able to get on the first bus to POFQ and enjoyed a nice ride home. We were sitting next to a little boy who told his mom he liked Fantasmic but did not understand it and the Mom said she agreed! I also agreed (silently). I am not a Fantasmic fan by any means :oops:
Its not a typical transportation trip if I don't hear something outrageous so this time I heard a woman say she would only stay at a monorail resort next trip because the monorail is so easy since it goes to all 4 parks o_O Thats new :happy: Someone else said they should have stayed at the Grand Floridian because the cost was only $300 a night...haha OK that sounds right ;)!

Anyway back at home we watched some HGTV and headed off to bed :)

Next up: last day :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:

FlaggNL

Yes! Both of those things are a must :) Your trip is coming up so fast!

Thanks again for the updates! Yeah it will be there before we know it. But better let the pre feelings last a little longer... otherwise it is over before we know it :) And TR like this helps us to pump up these feelings :)

Ciara

Day 12 continued
I think its funny how they make you exit through the gift shop so you have to walk ALL the way around to get back in haha
We complimented Daisy on her dress
View attachment 152720
I told Minnie that all her dogs were so well behaved :)
View attachment 152721
When we left my Dad admitted he thought this was going to be an actual side show performance...not a character M and G :p:happy::joyfull:
We had FPs for the 7DMT after this so headed there
View attachment 152722
There was a woman behind us who screamed so loud as if this was the biggest roller coaster ever. I love big rides so I found it funny, even though I know this is an intense/fast ride for those who don't. My Mom and I actually got into a fit of laughter on the ride and accidentally bumped our heads together :eek: My Dad said thats what we deserved for laughing at the poor woman :joyfull: Hey at least I did not get a concussion like last trip!
Theres always time for IASW so we decided to go there next!
View attachment 152723
View attachment 152729
View attachment 152724
View attachment 152725
It was barely 11 after this but we were starving thanks to our quick breakfast so we figured instead of hopping around the whole park we would just eat at Pinocchio's Village Haus again!
Since we were there so early we were able to grab a table overlooking IASW and there was barely any wait for food!
View attachment 152726
My Mom and I both had pepperoni flatbreads and my Dad had fries and a side salad again. Didn't take any pictures since it was all repeat food, but I did take a picture of this piece of pizza that looked like a Dinosaur haha
View attachment 152727
I always walk around singing this song to myself so it was appropriate to get a picture!
View attachment 152728

Next up: finishing off our morning in the MK and a man who HATES Buffalo

What a GREAT morning! :D:D

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Thanks again for the updates! Yeah it will be there before we know it. But better let the pre feelings last a little longer... otherwise it is over before we know it :) And TR like this helps us to pump up these feelings :)

That is true! Half the fun of a trip is the pre-feelings :) Glad my TR can help!

What a GREAT morning! :D:D

Any morning that starts with the Welcome Show is an amazing morning!

Loved your trip report. It seems like you guys get so much done while still having time to relax. I always seem to forget to relax while I'm on vacation...

We always have to make a conscious decision to relax :) My Mom and I can't sit still so we really have to make ourself go to the pool haha

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 13 .... :cry:
I really have been putting off writing about this day! Finishing a TR is almost as sad as finishing the trip!
Anyway, I woke up pretty early this morning and was looking at my phone and read about how Prince Harry and President Obama were in Disney for the Invictus games. All of a sudden all the helicopters and increased security made sense! I also saw that Shawn Johnson and Derek Hough were at the games too! Pretty cool! We watched some of the games on TV and they looked really awesome!
Anyway, we got up, finished some last minute packing and said goodbye to the room. I never took pictures when we got there so half-heartedly took some pictures...
IMG_0717.JPG

Do you spy the charger my Dad almost left behind :p
IMG_0718.JPG

See what I mean about half-hearted, prob could have at least smoothed out the bed haha
IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

Goodbye room 4106...you were good to us!!!
IMG_1244.JPG

I obviously was not happy about leaving!
When we went to check in for the airline I was super nervous when they went to weigh my big suitcase. Luckily it only weighed 44lbs! I could have put 6 more pounds of stuff in there ;)
Funny-ish side story: this year my Mom and I insisted we would call bell services to help us with our luggage but instead dragged our two suitcases each like fools again. At least this time we got semi-smart and took our carryons in a separate trip :joyfull:
Anyway we had breakfast reservations this morning so hopped on an MK bus. I actually found an earlier time for breakfast but kept the one we had just in case we did not make it in time. Our final stop was the Polynesian and the bus driver made an announcement saying that if anyone was heading there they could stay on the bus because he was going there! Nice!
Well, should have definitely made an earlier reservation because we had a LOT of time to kill!
So, we explored a bit!
IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0729.JPG

I know there are many haters of the new lobby but I loved it! I also don't remember the old lobby so theres that ;)
IMG_0732.jpg

Next up: still exploring the Polynesian

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 13 continued
Hello Trader Sams, sorry my Mom and I didn't like you in DL! We will try you again someday in WDW
IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0738.JPG

Since I missed my picture opportunity with @Tuvalu I took this picture for her!
IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0743.jpg

Pre-fence days obviously :oops:
IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG
IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

This resort is absolutely beautiful! I only hope I have the joy of staying here someday!

Next up: breakfast!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 13 continued
Ok finally we went upstairs and checked in for breakfast!
IMG_0751.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

'Ohana! This place holds sentimental value for me as its the first character breakfast I remember (although I ate on the Empress Lilly before this, do not really remember that one!).
After checking in we had a short wait before being called in
Of course we started with bread
IMG_0755.JPG

And the amazing juice
IMG_0756.JPG

Fruit
IMG_0757.JPG

And finally the platter :)
IMG_0758.JPG

YUM! All this food was really good (esp the eggs)! I also liked the idea of family style and not having to rush to the buffet so as not to miss a character :)
Pluto was up first. He stopped by only very briefly and somehow managed to hit his head on mine several times...haha
It was all very fast and confusing hence this awful picture
IMG_0759.jpg

Stitch came next! He complimented me on my Hawaiian themed outfit
PhotoPass_Visiting_WDWRESORTSANDMORE_7685147318.jpeg

Then Lilo...great photography skills by my Mother as usual :p
IMG_0762.jpg

Next came Mickey!
SOOOO CUTEEEE!! Hawaiian Mickey may be my favorite Mickey
IMG_2364.jpg

Next up: saying Goodbye

Doc Disney

Original Poster
If there is one benefit to doing a live TR it is this! You leave the bubble and wrap up the TR about the same time.

Thats true! If I was more dedicated I would totally do a live TR....only I hate being on my phone on vacation and can't sit still long enough to post a few pictures haha :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 13 continued
Well, once our wonderful breakfast was done we hopped on the monorail and headed back to the MK station. Part of me was dying to go into the park just because I could but it was INSANE! Literally the crowds were out of control. So instead we waved hello and goodbye and hopped on a bus back to POFQ
Hello POFQ...
IMG_0768.JPG

IMG_0769.JPG

IMG_0770.JPG

We had quite a bit of time before our Tragical Express came so my Dad and I decided to see if the Arcade was working yet and it was!
IMG_1247.JPG

My Dad won everything except air hockey. My Mom and I played skee ball and she won that :) Arcade games apparently are not my specialty
We then sat outside by the pool and said goodbye to a good friend :p
IMG_0782.JPG

We love Mardi Grogs :) Jill and I talked about Mardi Grogs before this trip and she said it was one of the things she was looking forward to most!
Here I am being dedicated and taking notes for the TR
IMG_1248.JPG

Finally it was time for us to make our way to the TE bus stop. The worst part honestly is when you see a DME bus come and drop newcomers off...Worst. feeling. ever. :cry: I always think about that when I get off the DME on the first day and see people leaving. I feel sad for them!
Soon enough the bus came....
Goodbye POFQ!!!
IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_1773.jpg

My Dad was apparently happy haha
IMG_1774.jpg

Anyway I forgot to mention we got TSA pre check and noticed it when we checked in in the morning. Of course when we get to the airport there is no line anyway! Why couldn't this happen to us on the way to Florida when we needed it!!!! o_O
We grabbed some snack food at Chipotle. When my Dad and I got back to my Mom she said someone tampered with our bag...it was just Petey lol
IMG_2365.jpg

And that was that...soon enough we were home safely and met up with Jill for some dinner back in freezing cold Buffalo :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Next up: final thoughts

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Final thoughts:

Time of year: Loved this time of the year! Crowd levels were low, the weather was beautiful (aside from a few very hot days and one full rainy day....can't complain about that), and experiencing the Flower and Garden Festival was nice. Can't say a bad thing about this time of year at all!

Hotel: POFQ is by far our favorite moderate hotel that we have stayed in, if not our favorite hotel in general (WL may have a slight edge...). We love the pool, the slide, the poor bar (woohoo Mardi Groggs) and the boat to Disney Springs. We also love how small it is! We had no trouble getting on the first bus home to POFQ from the parks which is very nice!

Flower and Garden Festival: We really enjoyed this! It was a quieter and prettier version of the Food and Wine Festival. It was nice to look at all the booths without the crowds. There are a ton of things I wanted to try, but did not! Hey, that just means we need another trip :)

New Restaurants for us: Mama Melrose's: loved it, we all did! Can not wait to go back!; Chef Mickeys: far exceeded my expectations and the character interactions were amazing! Tusker House - it was OK...not my favorite breakfast but not bad either; Casey's - perfect for a snack/lunch! We loved it! Quick services at the waterparks - can't complain, the usual foods! BOG lunch - its been getting a bad rap lately but we really liked it! Wolfgang Puck Express - potatoes were amazing, otherwise just average

Length of trip:
The length made this trip for me my absolute favorite! We were able to try new things and my mom said "a long trip is a must if you want to keep exploring Disney and do a lot of new things!" It gave us the time to Mini-Golf and take our time with everything else! We prob could have used a couple more days to explore more hotels too!

Thanks for putting up with me taking this long to write the TR and thanks for following along!

Next up: Food and Wine running! PTR to come

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Your TR was delightful, and I looked forward to reading about all the adventures your family enjoyed. You also had some really fun pictures! I had a great time being a "stowaway" guest traveler (while reading your TR and vicariously being there) in your wonderful vacation. Thanks for sharing! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom